ANNOUNCEMENT! I seem to have a boat!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Mooooore questions!

When I change the name of the boat, is there a correct way to do it 'officially' with BW or something?

Also, of the marina's mentioned around the Rugby area (or any not mentioned!) do any of them have wifi or any kind of internet access, or is it basically dongle or nothing?

Cheers.

Just tell BW you have changed the name BUT do it whilst the boat is out of water. Some say superstition, some of us just believe it's a charming bit of boating etiquette.

For further info see that long thread on boat names.

No, on second thoughts don't...

Yeah I heard about the 'do it while it's out of the water' thing...

I have to apply the new name on top of the old one at the mo, which in seagoing circles is a mssive no no and you're supposed to erase every trace of the old name from the boat first, unless you want Poseidon to take it...

Yeah I heard about the 'do it while it's out of the water' thing...

I have to apply the new name on top of the old one at the mo, which in seagoing circles is a mssive no no and you're supposed to erase every trace of the old name from the boat first, unless you want Poseidon to take it...

I don't think you need to worry too much about offending Poseidon with a technical error changing the name. He does sea boats. Besides, he won't be very successful in banishing your boat down to the unfathomable depths because as the canals are rarely more than about four feet deep ;)

We changed out last-but-two boat name and we observed the opposite tradition we heard about when we consulted the old canalworld forum on boat name changing. Someone said you must not only do it out of the water but you must display the old name somewhere in the boat to avoid bad luck. So we made a nice sign which we put on the engine room bulkhead which read NB Jethro, previously "mischief"

Worked for us, and Jethro, previously mischief (with small m), seemed very happy with this arrangement.

Congrats on the purchase.

We have just booked into Great Haywood Marina £605.00 for three months which I consider quite reasonable.

Steve

:o

Blimey I pay 1200 squid a year for a fab mooring, park at my boat superb area 60 foot mooring ......think i,ll stay here..........

I am back! I am exhausted! It all ran a bit longer and got a bit complicated because the seller was kind of a bit clueless and the boatyard had not done all of the work he had paid for yet but he hadn't realised... Also he didn't have any paperwork apart from the recent survey (that was cracking... 24 year old boat and the whole of the structure is apparently almost in excatly the same repair and thickness as when it was new...) and also the boat was still full of his late father's personal effects... Engine is apparently cracking... Boat also has a 3 way fridge that is working that the seller hadn't realised was there...

Because of all the hoo ha over the work not yet done (though he has paid for it ands the guy doing it was ther eto confirm this) lack of paperwork to hand to show me and all of the crap onboard (including even food stuffs lect and dead coal in the stove!) etc, I have paid my deposit and made a written witnessed contract about what the boat will have done and by when, that it will be cleared of all the crap and cleaned, and is being craned back in at the seller's expense and he's also going to put a new year's licence on it, both of which were not part of the deal initially!

I am so tired. Head spinning. A mahoosive spider fell on me, and I nearly pee'd down my leg...

Visited Wigrams marina where the people (both staff and other moorers I saw) were lovely, but is sadly in the pure middle of nowhere by road and so won't be suitable...

Also went to Braunston where I liked the 'vibe' and was shown two available moorings, I will likely take one of them at least for a month to get the boat on a stationary site and give me a bit more time to go around maybe looking at more marinas.

Also! You know the odd cratch thing at the front that people commented on? It also has glass fitted in the front of it! Now even more confused...

Gallery of pics...

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Starcoaster/

Edited by Starcoaster

Thank you! I am knackered but really happy/ relieved/ excited/ nervous etc...

This forum and everyone on it has been so amazing to me, I am so grateful to everyone who has posted at any stage to help and advise.

I'd never be in this position now if I hadn't joined this forum a month ago!

Thank you! I am knackered but really happy/ relieved/ excited/ nervous etc...

This forum and everyone on it has been so amazing to me, I am so grateful to everyone who has posted at any stage to help and advise.

I'd never be in this position now if I hadn't joined this forum a month ago!

Well,that does looks a fine boat,a good bargain indeed. Not a Boatman stove though, i may have confused your pics with somone else's. You have the Paloma gas water heater though which can be connected to a shower. The fridge an oldish Electroluxe fine on gas or mains but only use the 12v whilst engines running or your batteries will be flattened in half hour.The 12v setting uses about 7amps which is a lot. Check where the stove flu goes through the ceiling,it looks a bit iffy. All in all a great little boat, Have fun bizzard.

Ooh! Check where the flue goes in what way?? I took a couple of pics of it andd looked at how it looked on the outside, what should I be looking for?

Around the flu inside the boat where it pokes through the ceiling. Whatever surrounds it there is close to it,make sure its fireproof material. :rolleyes: