Aston marina

n/b potty harry

Featured Posts

I don't know from the point of view of keeping a boat there but I visited while hunting for a boat to buy. Good marina in my view. Very nice farm shop. No railway line or motorway within inches of it. They seemed to be appealing to the general public to come and visit though. Access to the pontoons was secure from what I remember.

Well worth a visit.

Dave

Hello & welcome Mr Harry --- or may I call you Potty?

Went to see Aston Marina just before it was finished & called in this year on the way past.

It looks good --- it has a one way system ie an entrance & exit to the canal, full length pontoons & the usual services.

Open to the public, but the jetties are secure.

There is a good (if expensive) butcher & fresh food shop & a bistro which again is good but pricey.

About a mile or so from the centre of Stone.

At the time we went round the charges were perhaps a little higher than average but I seem to remember that their electric was quite cheap.

You may get a more helpful reply from someone who actually moors there.

Hello & welcome Mr Harry --- or may I call you Potty?

Went to see Aston Marina just before it was finished & called in this year on the way past.

It looks good --- it has a one way system ie an entrance & exit to the canal, full length pontoons & the usual services.

Open to the public, but the jetties are secure.

There is a good (if expensive) butcher & fresh food shop & a bistro which again is good but pricey.

About a mile or so from the centre of Stone.

At the time we went round the charges were perhaps a little higher than average but I seem to remember that their electric was quite cheap.

You may get a more helpful reply from someone who actually moors there.

Fish and chips £12.50 per person ??? didnt eat in the bistro ,lol but did buy some nice meat from the butchers/farm shop .

We moored there for a few days during our travels last summer, as we needed to break off to go to a wedding.

The staff there couldn't have been more helpful. Everything worked for us, although the pumpout suction level, they told us, was a bit below par at the time. (We didn't try it). The bistro and farm shop were both high quality, which may explain some of the comments re price levels.

So we'd definitely go back on a similar, short-term basis.

As for a more permanent mooring there, we're not so sure. The main object of the exercise seems to be making a go of the farm shop and the bistro, to which the boats add a considerable amount of background colour.

So, to us, it just didn't seem to have the "boaty" atmosphere of some marinas. And we wondered what sort of throughput their diesel supplies had, for instance.

It's a nice, location, though.

I also seem to remember that when I was looking for a long-term marina mooring, I noticed that one of the terms of the contract is that you agree not to oppose any planning permissions they may seek in the future to develop the site further.

Bob.

We called in there for fuel a month or so ago. Very friendly service, though it is a bit odd that the services are a long way from the office, so its a long walk to and fro to get served (though we phoned ahead) and then to pay. Fuel was cheap at .81 compared to .90 in Stone (chandlers). It all looks well done if a little lacking in character, though that will perhaps improve with age. The manager said they were on about 60% occupancy and rates were similar to what we are paying at Fazeley Mill. There is a dreaded day hire boat to avoid! Overall I would say it would be quite a good place to moor, and unlike some marinas in the vicinity, not run by tyrants!