Painting the engine bay

tree

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I would like a bit of advice please, my engine is being taken out tomorrow and I am going to clean and paint the engine bay.

Now am I doing this right?

(1) Clean out most of muck,

(2) Degrease the whole area;

(3) Scrape away any flaking rusty bits;

(4)Use a good primer then paint??

What is the best product to use ? as knowing me when ime let loose in any chandelry i tend to go a bit doolally ( spend too much )

many thanks :)

A fairly light colour is a good idea as these places are often "dark dens of iniquity", you want to be able to see the important thing you just dropped - why is it you can have a hundred unimportant bits and never drop one of the into the greasy water that abounds below, but you will drop the one vital bit?

(Was it Mr.Murphey or Mr S.Odd that had something to say about this?)

I recently did ours.

For (4) I did Vactan followed by Danboline. Looks great :)

Tony

I need to do the same, thanks for the advice.

Did you use a red oxide primer on top of the Vactan or just paint on top of the Vactan with the grey?

Leigh

I need to do the same, thanks for the advice.

Did you use a red oxide primer on top of the Vactan or just paint on top of the Vactan with the grey?

Leigh

For the sake of a few dabs of paint you can't go wrong by red oxide on Vactan and I always use two coats of Vactan.

Bring back Red Lead

I just painted on top of the Vactan with Danboline.

If you're going to use a primer I would think that a decent zinc oxide primer would be better than most of the so-called red oxide primers about today, most of which appear to be little more than flat red paint.

Tony