What was this boat?

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

MOONRAKER was fitted with a National 2BC, removed from a road roller and fitted the 'wrong way around' driving Hotchkiss Cones.

I'm intrigued about Hotchkiss cones. A brief google brings up no images, and only the sketchiest of descriptions. Does any one have any detailed information about what they are exactly, please?

Thanks!

MOONRAKER was fitted with a National 2BC, removed from a road roller and fitted the 'wrong way around' driving Hotchkiss Cones. The last record I have for MOONRAKER is November 1996 when it was observed sunk at Denham. I have both the B.C.N. gauge for this boat as well as the engine serial number captain.gif

I presume you mean that you can not account for all of the boats operated by Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. captain.gif

Yes pete from my understanding some of there black boats. From what i have found is these didnt seam to have names or be registered not all but some Edited by billybobbooth

Probably a visit to a maritime museum would furnish a result, but as you say - little available on the net regards images, and only one rough description:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hotchkiss+cone&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRgNKk5s3RAhXrAsAKHdR4B1UQsAQILw&biw=1409&bih=884#imgrc=ZuMMaSpA4E2hhM%3A

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?386110-hotchkiss-CONE-drive-propulsion-system

The drawings of the lifeboat are unclear, but do show four such cones (or two double ended, or back to back) mounted midships driven by a power unit.

Water is drawn in through the narrow end of the cone (presumably through a skin fitting below water level) by a paddle in the larger end, which expels the water through an aperture in the bottom of the boat giving thrust. Whether a separate set of cones are available for reverse, or whether the apertures are moveable to direct thrust aft - or the drive and paddles reversible is unclear.

Must have been a problem with access and maintenance, especially with detritus common on the canals. Interesting though.

Here's an interesting twist - could be useful on shallow canals!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_propulsion#/media/File:Popular_Science_Dec_1918_p68_-_History_of_boat_propulsion,_Water_caterpillar.jpg

- or something for the Southern Stratford?

Edited by Derek R.

.................................. but not all boats in tco can be accounted for.

Yes pete from my understanding some of there black boats. From what i have found is these didnt seam to have names or be registered not all but some

Please do not confuse your opinion from 17 January with your statement on 19 January.

Every single one of Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. narrow boats can be accounted for via original documentation, and I am not referring to looking at the fleet list published in the back of Alan H. Faulkner's booklet Claytons of Oldbury (which starts at 1916) or NarrowBoat magazine captain.gif

Would this be the Chance 2 that was moored on the Lincoln long term moorings maybe 5 or so years back?

Yes

I think Spey towed it from Lincoln to Chester. About 2 years ago it made its way to Hurleston where it spent a year as it couldn't get through the bottom lock.

About a year ago it was towed to Nantwich basin and (i think) craned out. No idea where it is now.

4/5 years ago now! ... I did half the return leg, Mac did half the outwards and Tom did the middle bits with I think Phil doing a day or two... with Mr West completing the entire journey! In all, I think every Spey owner had a part to play on that trip, either as a captain or crew, was a good doo, and a steep learning curve fro those of us who hadn't towed before.. and good training for my later life on board!

C2 was fine until (mostly) we got to Warde lock on the new cut, she had to be pulled in some way to get through... we knew shed never get through hurlestone! ...our involvement stopped when she get to Chester, all movements since have been with a different motor.

Jay

Edited by Jay4424

Please do not confuse your opinion from 17 January with your statement on 19 January.

Every single one of Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. narrow boats can be accounted for via original documentation, and I am not referring to looking at the fleet list published in the back of Alan H. Faulkner's booklet Claytons of Oldbury (which starts at 1916) or NarrowBoat magazine captain.gif

What i mean is i havent found all the ones for the black boats.

I'm intrigued about Hotchkiss cones. A brief google brings up no images, and only the sketchiest of descriptions. Does any one have any detailed information about what they are exactly, please?

Thanks!

With chance 2 the cones were made using lorry tyres similar to paddle wheels housed in metal cylinders either side of the keelson and would have protruded the bottom of the boat by an inch or two so that if the boat run aground no damage would have been done. The engine on chance 2 was a royal Enfield diesel.

The one that I worked with in "Saturn"( it was mounted central) picked water up at the front and the paddle wheel driven inside a metal housing powered by a ford petrol engine forced it out the back, no wash silent when steering, Magic!. I belief they where manufactured for lifeboats, no prop shaft or prop to worry about.

Thanks!

I don't know either but I think (I stand to be corrected by Pete Harrison) Bath had them fitted at one point?

BW had a hire boat called "Water Vixen" powered with a Hodgkiss cone, it operated from the Birmingham office.

From a previous thread.....

008Britishwaterwayspage6.jpg

009Britishwaterwayspage7.jpg

Water Vixen was made from the front end of "Antlia", and these days is reunited again with its back end.....

Antlia

The Parsons "scampi" engine that drove it seems to have been based on a Ford 100E (!)

Edited by alan_fincher