Going to look at a butty

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Cos you know how it is when you say 'I'm just going to look'...

Why on earth would I want a butty? Good question. One answer is that a butty with a full length under cloth conversion and all (OK, some) mod cons would provide instant luxury accomodation (subject to landline availability). The other answer is that I think it will always nag at me, gorgeous as my motor boat is, is it really complete without a butty? I like the thought of developing the skills to tow and handle one (and what a steep learning curve that would be). And to be able to pose about with a pair of course.

But it seems the reasons why I shouldn't want one are more numerous. It'd need a permanent mooring - big expense. Licence and insurance - more modest, but a cost nonetheless. And of course, as someone once said, the biggest drawback of a butty is that you have to drag the bloody thing everywhere (not strictly true tho if it has a mooring).

I have also heard it said that a butty is worth 20k whatever has been done to it (but less if it doesn't float). Views on that?

Is this a madness too far?

Cos you know how it is when you say 'I'm just going to look'...

Why on earth would I want a butty? Good question. One answer is that a butty with a full length under cloth conversion and all (OK, some) mod cons would provide instant luxury accomodation (subject to landline availability). The other answer is that I think it will always nag at me, gorgeous as my motor boat is, is it really complete without a butty? I like the thought of developing the skills to tow and handle one (and what a steep learning curve that would be). And to be able to pose about with a pair of course.

But it seems the reasons why I shouldn't want one are more numerous. It'd need a permanent mooring - big expense. Licence and insurance - more modest, but a cost nonetheless. And of course, as someone once said, the biggest drawback of a butty is that you have to drag the bloody thing everywhere (not strictly true tho if it has a mooring).

I have also heard it said that a butty is worth 20k whatever has been done to it (but less if it doesn't float). Views on that?

Is this a madness too far?

I am envious :) If you want a butty, and can afford the luxury,then get one. We are a long time dead.

I am envious :) If you want a butty, and can afford the luxury,then get one. We are a long time dead.

Well, 'luxury' is relative, as of course is 'afford'.

I guess my concern is, would it be a white elephant around my neck, to horribly mangle my metaphors.

It'd need a permanent mooring - big expense.

Dumb question time -

Can it not moor alongside Chertsey?? and be left on Chertsey's mooring when you don't want it with you??

Oh and as others have said 'go for it' - there's no pockets in shrouds....as my old nan used to say.

Well, 'luxury' is relative, as of course is 'afford'.

I guess my concern is, would it be a white elephant around my neck, to horribly mangle my metaphors.

Probably, but you are going to buy it anyway :) I watch the butty Ilford being towed around the system for fun, and sometimes wonder why they do it, but I'll bet they would feel lost without it. It will make an excellent shed/workshop and I would love one.

Definition of :

white elephantn.1.a. A rare, expensive possession that is a financial burden to maintain.b. Something of dubious or limited value.2. An article, ornament, or household utensil no longer wanted by its owner.3. An endeavor or venture that proves to be a conspicuous failure.4. A rare whitish or light-gray form of the Asian elephant, often regarded with special veneration in regions of southeast Asia and India.

If it turns out to be number 4 then my advice to not to touch it with a barge pole. One would hope it doesn't turn out to be number 3 and even if it does you could always sell on. The other 2 - well a lady of your calibre could explain away quite easily.

Dumb question time -

Can it not moor alongside Chertsey?? and be left on Chertsey's mooring when you don't want it with you??

Oh and as others have said 'go for it' - there's no pockets in shrouds....as my old nan used to say.

Don't think there's many places you can moor two for the price of one, sadly.

Definition of :

white elephantn.1.a. A rare, expensive possession that is a financial burden to maintain.b. Something of dubious or limited value.2. An article, ornament, or household utensil no longer wanted by its owner.3. An endeavor or venture that proves to be a conspicuous failure.4. A rare whitish or light-gray form of the Asian elephant, often regarded with special veneration in regions of southeast Asia and India.

If it turns out to be number 4 then my advice to not to touch it with a barge pole. One would hope it doesn't turn out to be number 3 and even if it does you could always sell on. The other 2 - well a lady of your calibre could explain away quite easily.

1a just about sums it up!

No good asking for my advice. I bought our butty on a whim. It then took about ten years and vast sums of money and loads of hard work to get it looking presentable for its 100 year old birthday next year. Oh yes, if it's got a wooden cabin, ignore all sane advice to have it replaced in steel. That'll give you hours of extra fun keeping it weather proof.

Don't think there's many places you can moor two for the price of one, sadly.

I hadn't appreciated that you pay the same to moor both a motor and it's butty at the same location :( - I thought you might get at least some discount off the second mooring but clearly not.....

anyway still go for it, it sounds like it could be one of those things you will look back on in years to come, perhaps when you are unable to go boating for whatever reason and think...'if only...'

What do you have to lose? I've usually worked on the basis that if i'm stupid enough to buy something i'll probably be able to find someone just as stupid if I tire of it.

And it can get pretty cold in the winter in a tent.

Go for it girl.

Paul

Bodmin?

I know of one or two people who are interested so best be quick!

It is. I thought it couldn't hurt to look (famous last words - if someone else does buy it they will probably be saving me from myself).

I am pretty sure that if I do succumb, either now or at some point in the future, it will have to be a fellow big Woolwich.

No good asking for my advice. I bought our butty on a whim. It then took about ten years and vast sums of money and loads of hard work to get it looking presentable for its 100 year old birthday next year. Oh yes, if it's got a wooden cabin, ignore all sane advice to have it replaced in steel. That'll give you hours of extra fun keeping it weather proof.

Mmmm - more sensible views from those in the know!

What's your take on the mooring situation?

Edited by Chertsey

I hadn't appreciated that you pay the same to moor both a motor and it's butty at the same location :( - I thought you might get at least some discount off the second mooring but clearly

If it's an unpowered historic butty moored alongside an historic motor you don't pay for the butty. Somewhere BW has a policy document on this, but I can't for the life of me find it online.

If it's an unpowered historic butty moored alongside an historic motor you don't pay for the butty. Somewhere BW has a policy document on this, but I can't for the life of me find it online.

Result!!

Interesting. Does this apply only to BW moorings? Could BW possibly impose it on marinas and EOGs?

If so, that's a major objection shot down!

Interesting. Does this apply only to BW moorings? Could BW possibly impose it on marinas and EOGs?

The local BW manager has to agree that the site is suitable for what BW quaintly calls "double breasted" boats.

This post by Alan F will be of interest...

ETA - as it implies BW linear moorings only...

Edited by MJG

A sometimes overlooked benefit of towing a butty is that the pair will often travel faster than a single motor in shallow water when the butty is on properly set up cross straps as the motor's back end is prevented from digging in by the lift provided by the butty's front end. They also make damned good fenders. Regards, HughC.

A sometimes overlooked benefit of towing a butty is that the pair will often travel faster than a single motor in shallow water when the butty is on properly set up cross straps as the motor's back end is prevented from digging in by the lift provided by the butty's front end. They also make damned good fenders. Regards, HughC.

And I believe a butty makes it easier to get round the turn at Hawkesbury :)

It is (Bodmin). I thought it couldn't hurt to look ...

I am pretty sure that if I do succumb, either now or at some point in the future, it will have to be a fellow big Woolwich.

The absolute killer (of a sane and sensible outcome) would be to moor Chertsey alongside while viewing.

Just so you can get a clear image of what the pairing will look like, of course!!

Good Luck.