Scarisbrick Marina on The L&L

Doorman

Featured Posts

An older picture of one half of this 200 boat capacity marina.

34qpc2g.jpg

Having met with a couple of friends from oop norf recently, they mentioned that the relatively new marina at Bridge 27a on the Leeds & Liverpool canal, was still less than half full. Can anyone verify that?

We moored there and were quite happy until the tyranical owner tried to work the oracle with our boat on his brokerage. Past reports also indicated that the earth mound wind break that he'd formed on the west side of the site, had to be removed due to the lack of planning permission. Without this barrier, the coastal winds can be quite strong along there.

Mike

An older picture of one half of this 200 boat capacity marina.

34qpc2g.jpg

Having met with a couple of friends from oop norf recently, they mentioned that the relatively new marina at Bridge 27a on the Leeds & Liverpool canal, was still less than half full. Can anyone verify that?

We moored there and were quite happy until the tyranical owner tried to work the oracle with our boat on his brokerage. Past reports also indicated that the earth mound wind break that he'd formed on the west side of the site, had to be removed due to the lack of planning permission. Without this barrier, the coastal winds can be quite strong along there.

Mike

Last time we went past it looked as though there were a good few boats in there,but couldn't say if it was full or not.

Edited by Guest

Last time we went past it looked as though there were a good few boats in there,but couldn't say if it was full or not.

Cheers,

it could be wishful thinking by some of the locals. The owner was thrown out of the

SS on the grounds of cruelty and he's about as popular as a one legged man at an arse kicking party!

Mike

quite a few boats in there and the food they serve is good , bit pricey though , plenty of people visit to eat there it is always busy when i have gone in , the only times i see the owner is in the cafe and he seems pleasant enough despite what i have heard said about him.

quite a few boats in there and the food they serve is good , bit pricey though , plenty of people visit to eat there it is always busy when i have gone in , the only times i see the owner is in the cafe and he seems pleasant enough despite what i have heard said about him.

You've probably met John, the owner's brother. They're like chalk and cheese in character. Whilst we were there, John and the other cafe staff were brilliant, together with the decent food the service was excellent, that's why the cafe's so popular.

The marina has loads of potential, given its proximity and the lack of locks for quite some distance. Also, when Les the manager is allowed to do his job, the service at the marina is very good. The main problem is that he's stretched between

Scarisbrick and Fettler's Wharf on the Rufford Branch of the L&L.

As Pearley said though, it does get windy there!

Mike

Went in a couple of weeks ago looking for diesel - nobody around, nobody interested in a strange boat arriving in the marina and bashing a few pontoons on account of the high winds. So went and got diesel at the caravan place on the opposite side of the cut, service with a smile and a glory hole of a shop stocking also sorts of bits for boats and caravans. The marina was only about 1/3rd occupied. If full I wouldn't want to manoeuvre in it in strong winds.

Went in a couple of weeks ago looking for diesel - nobody around, nobody interested in a strange boat arriving in the marina and bashing a few pontoons on account of the high winds. So went and got diesel at the caravan place on the opposite side of the cut, service with a smile and a glory hole of a shop stocking also sorts of bits for boats and caravans. The marina was only about 1/3rd occupied. If full I wouldn't want to manoeuvre in it in strong winds.

I often get diesel from the caravan shop. They are always helpful. I would never trade with either of the marinas discussed.

I often get diesel from the caravan shop. They are always helpful. I would never trade with either of the marinas discussed.

We used to buy our diesel from Red Lion Caravans. As you say, they're always helpful, especially Alan, he's a great fan of the marina owner, Not!

Alan used to moor his boat (probably still does) opposite the entrance to Scarisbrick Marina,

as this is where he's moored for years. The only problem with this is that on occasion, a boat leaves the marina and steers straight into Alan's boat :wacko:. I think some of the boaters assume that the tiller's just for leaning on.

With regard to the wind, it can be really gusty not only inside the marina, but along that stretch of the canal. I remember once reversing (or trying to) back from the entrance towards the diesel pump at the caravan shop, as our filler cap is on our port gunwale. I made such a cock-up of the job, onlookers must have thought I was on recreational medication :help: .

There was talk of the owner selling out to BWM Ltd due to pressure from his investors, once again, this could just be wishful thinking from all of his many admirers.

Mike

The marina has loads of potential, given its proximity and the lack of locks for quite some distance.

Mike

But loads and loads of swing bridges give me locks any time.

agree

I WAS TOLD HE TOLD

IS OWN SISTER TO SHIFT HER BOAT OUT OF IS MARINA,

You were well informed!

I could recount numerous anecdotes on here about this 'character', but shall refrain for the sake of defamation laws.

Mike