Aquasteel rust treatment

Madmark62

Featured Posts

It's more expensive than the very well tried and well regarded Vactan ?

Why choose to use a less well known product, if it is not going to save you any money.

My view.....

Not all rust converters are the same, by any means.

Happy with Vactan, but Fertan proved to do none of the things "it said on the tin", even though I believe we used it as directed.

Edited by alan_fincher

Anyone ever used this?

http://www.aquasteel.co.uk/

I bought some and was disappointed. It dried leaving a skin membrane which showed brush marks that i couldn't live with. Sanded the lot off back to bare metal in the end before repriming and top coating. As others have said, stick to Vactan or Jennolite.

Doug

It claims to be natural and organic.

Expensive rubbish, in other words.

Unless the rust is totally dry, nothing will beat Owatrol.

And if the rust IS totally dry, nothing will beat Owatrol.

:P

Edited by sebrof

Unless the rust is totally dry, nothing will beat Owatrol.

And if the rust IS totally dry, nothing will beat Owatrol.

:P

I did some rust spots with Owatrol and was unsure if it was as good as claimed. I am pleased to report that it is bearing up well. I hear good things about Vactan but have no experience personally.

And your own personal experience of this is?? Unless you have used Aquasteel then I cannot see how you can make that assumption.

I did not ask about Owatrol, I do not want to use Owatrol, because it affects my asthma, but I will bear your remarks about Aquasteel in mind.

Aquasteel and Vactan are almost certainly based on the same technology - tannic acid which reacts with the rust to form a relatively inert ferrous tannate which can then be painted over.

Fertan is tannic acid pure and simple.

Vactan is a vinyl acrylic coplymer emulsion with a bit of tannic acid in it for good measure.

Aquasteel is almost one of Bayer's emulsion polymers with a bit of tannic acid in it for good measure.

On my 1965 Volvo and in the gas locker space on the boat, I have used Fertan on its own. My method was to wire brush and scrape all the loose rust off and give it a good dose of diluted Fertan agitating it into the rusty surface. While the stuff reacts, there is quite a strong metallic smell and the brown rust turns black which shows it is working. After a few hours, I wire brush again and apply a second less diluted coat of Fertan and after drying overnight, wash off the excess brown coloured tannic acid. Immediately after drying, the surface is ready for priming and topcoat if required.

The area around the battery in the car and gas locker areas on the boat are still sound after four years.

Fertan gets my vote :) because I don't know which polymer is used in Vactan or Aquasteel. :detective:

By the way, tannic acid can be loosely described as organic in the chemistry meaning of the word and as tannin occurs in red grape skins and tea, amongst many other places, it can be labeled natural, but....... :unsure:

Edited by Swallowman