Hire Fleet - good service

Woollymishka

Featured Posts

We were hit by a hire boat a couple of weeks ago on the S Oxford which caused quite a dent in the port side bow guard iron. This was despite hard reversing manoevres on our part.

I won't go in to all the ins and outs but the incident could have become a lot worse as the hire boat had 2 young people on the gunnel at the bow barefoot and one hand on the hand rail.

Anyway, keeping calm and taking details of time, boat name, location witnesses etc (ex copper so habits are hard to lose) we travelled on and eventually we went back to the hire fleet within 36hrs and relayed the story,only to be told that the hire boat story was somewhat different (surprise). On stating that on our boat we had 3 people who were nb trainers and witnessed the whole episode must have helped our cause somewhat. I am not going to discuss the pros and cons of hire fleet instruction but need to say that the hire fleet were superb in arranging a welding repair - and when we turned up at the alloted day and time they were all ready and prepared.

2 hours later - job done - foc - thanks all round and off we went with a clean looking guard iron.

In the first instance we had to stand our ground as to what happened but the hire fleet manager and staff certainly took on what we said and took a course of action that was appreciated. Those of you that know the S Oxford - the hire fleet is just downstream from Wigrams Turn at Napton.

Our faith in hire fleet operators has been restored to some degree.

:P

Most commercial boat companies are very wary about claims most will immediately pass you on to their insurance company as a proportion of the claims against them are false as there seen as easy targets. In one case I know about after a minor scrape down a boat by a hire boat the boat owner was witnessed dropping his TV on the towpath, he decided he did not wish to proceed with the claim when the hire company gave him the choice of walking or talking to the police.

Hire boats are seen as fair game as well for the theft of ropes, poles, mooring pins, you name it by quite a few boat owners.

Most commercial boat companies are very wary about claims most will immediately pass you on to their insurance company as a proportion of the claims against them are false as there seen as easy targets. In one case I know about after a minor scrape down a boat by a hire boat the boat owner was witnessed dropping his TV on the towpath, he decided he did not wish to proceed with the claim when the hire company gave him the choice of walking or talking to the police.

Hire boats are seen as fair game as well for the theft of ropes, poles, mooring pins, you name it by quite a few boat owners.

Thanks for making me paraniod about going on a hire boat in 2 weeks time lol.

One thing I will point out is that it is in the terms and conditions with most hire companys if you have an accident do not admit it was your fault when exchanging details even if it was.

Well that is what it says in the small print of every hire boat I have been on

Thanks for making me paraniod about going on a hire boat in 2 weeks time lol.

One thing I will point out is that it is in the terms and conditions with most hire companys if you have an accident do not admit it was your fault when exchanging details even if it was.

Well that is what it says in the small print of every hire boat I have been on

Don't see how it should make you paranoid about hiring a boat they have insurance to protect you as well as the boat company.

As for not admitting liability all insurance policy’s I’ve seen say the same especially anything to do with transport.

Have a good holiday anyway.

Don't see how it should make you paranoid about hiring a boat they have insurance to protect you as well as the boat company.

As for not admitting liability all insurance policy’s I’ve seen say the same especially anything to do with transport.

Have a good holiday anyway.

Was meant tongue in cheek regards to poles, ropes and stuff being targeted on hire boats lol.

Thats why I put the lol on the end, was never meant to be taken seriously

Was meant tongue in cheek regards to poles, ropes and stuff being targeted on hire boats lol.

You might have been joking, but it is more common than you might think. One of the biggest hire yards on the Broads paint all of their mop and boathook handles bright yellow and carve or burn their name about a quarter of an inch deep into the wood. I still notice them at boat jumbles, on private boats, and even on the odd hire boat from another yard. Similarly, at the yard I work for (Freedom Cruisers), we paint the handles (and our mudweights) in International Orange, which is also quite distinctive.

I know you were joking but the insurance part is important.

Some hirers have years of boating behind them I know one with more than 50.