Fuel Boats Tracking Section

WJM

Featured Posts

I wonder if we should have a forum section for tracking the movement of the various mobile fuel boats? I know that I would find it very useful to know when they are in my area.

Here is one for openers;

-----------------------------------------------------------------

INDUS FUEL BOAT 07930347558 - 13th September 2011

Hi everyone. We're in stansted Abbotts and heading downstream tomorrow to Enfield, from there to hackney wick on Thurs. Loading up Fri morning then going through Limehouse up to chug or kings cross depending on time. Top of the Hanwell flight on sat then into brentford and back on Sunday then scurrying back through town and back up the Lea in time to meet up with the engine fairy again who will hopefully make the motor sing a little sweeter. Please feel free to order lots of everything :) still at summer prices. Lots of love, liz & Steve

Edited by WJM

I think that's a brilliant idea.

Wish you were in my area. Ive kept a lookout for a fuel boat on our journey from Willowbridge to Berkhamsted but not seen any.

Would be good to know where they are at any given time

Jean

Towcester was in Berkhamsted on Monday afternoon pointing South.

If I had to guess it will have then gone on a bit further, but by now is probably back North of Berko, heading back towards Stoke.

Hyperion seems to be doing a lot of sales in this area, and was reported as travelling South a few days ago, but I have not spotted it since then.

If you are going further South you could encounter any of Hyperion, Archimedes & Ara, Baron or Indus. fairly well served down that way, now!

Anyone on the river Stort needing coal,logs ,gas,kindling,firelighters ect. Bayfords coal merchants Little Hallingbury 01279 723217 Very good service All types available,at reasonable prices. And will deliver to boat near a road,at most locks.

bizzard.

I know such a section could be perceived as advertising - strictly speaking it is - but the benefit to the community should be enough to override that objection.

BTW - I am not a fuel boat operator, the opening post was just a cut and paste from a text that I received from one of the boats that operates in my area.

Edited by WJM

Towcester was in Berkhamsted on Monday afternoon pointing South.

If I had to guess it will have then gone on a bit further, but by now is probably back North of Berko, heading back towards Stoke.

Hyperion seems to be doing a lot of sales in this area, and was reported as travelling South a few days ago, but I have not spotted it since then.

If you are going further South you could encounter any of Hyperion, Archimedes & Ara, Baron or Indus. fairly well served down that way, now!

You are Spot on :)

Towcester has pulled in behind us at Marsworth Junction.

She's now heading North.

Jean

Alton & St Austell are stuck on the Lower Peak Forest Canal with a large branch blocking the canal nr Hyde Bank Tunnel (BW are aware). We're on our way to Ashton. We supply a variety of coal & smokeless fuels, diesel, logs, kindling, p/o, ropes, fenders and much more. Later in the month we're heading to Marple, Whaley Bridge, Macclesfield, Kidsgrove, Middlewich, Nantwich, Chester, Ellesmere Port, Anderton, River Weaver inc Acton Bridge Steam Rally. For more info see our blog at www.furnessvale.blogspot.com or find us on twitter as Coalboat. To place an order you can call us on 07791345004 or email nbalton102@yahoo.co.uk

• Greenie 1

You are Spot on :)

Towcester has pulled in behind us at Marsworth Junction.

She's now heading North.

Jean

As you may have gathered, this is one of my favourite boats, usually immaculately kept.

All the better, she moves around frequently, trying to service a large area, and Julia offers a very proficient and professional service.

I've still not seen her to ask what on earth Towcester was doing on the Staffs and Worcs last month though - we were not expecting to see it there!

As you may already know, Ariel (Longford Canal Services) is based on the Bridgewater Canal and does fortnightly trips in either direction from the boat's mooring which is in Sale. At the moment the business is concentrating on the Bridgewater Canal but hopefully in the future this run should expand and branch out.

I mainly deal with coal/solid fuels and diesel but also have firelighters, kindling and other bits and peices available such as Elsan Blue and Rope Fenders (made to order).

Longford Canal Services has a Facebook page, We're also on Twitter (CanalCarrying) and you can check out our website here: www.longfordcanalservices.co.uk (email via the contacts page) or I can be contacted directly on my mobile - 07748 958303.

It does sound good but there are various lists already in place, the most well known one being http://lock13.co.uk/boats/coaldiesel.htm.

What are peoples thoughts on another new list? Would it be better to have a new definitive list here or would people rather keep the current Lock13 list updated

It does sound good but there are various lists already in place, the most well known one being http://lock13.co.uk/boats/coaldiesel.htm.

What are peoples thoughts on another new list? Would it be better to have a new definitive list here or would people rather keep the current Lock13 list updated

I didn't know you now had website, Twitter and Facebook links, Liam. I have now added them to the Lock13 list. If anyone knows of similar links (especially Twitter) for other trading boats, please let me know.

Any list is only as good as the information supplied to it. If you want to start a new list then that will save me the trouble of trying to keep my list up to date, although it would be a shame for anyone who doesn't use this forum.

I can't see any way of having something that will always show where all the boats are without some whizzy sort of software and the co-operation of all the traders.

I think Twitter might the best medium for updates on where boats are. If traders used a Twitter account for updates and relevant comments (not personal chat with friends) then a "List" could be compiled aggregating all those updates, such as this one, which so far shows the only two trading boats that I know have Twitter updates. A list like this can be easily accessed by mobile phone.

I hope Brian won't mind me mentioning this but some time ago it was mentioned between ourselves that the domain canalcarrying.co.uk which I own could be put to a better use in something like this, where a list of the trading boats could be listed with the areas they cover, prices and any other general updates.

If you'd like somebody to take over the running and updating on the list of boats, Martin, please let me know and I would happy to do this.

Liam.

My initial thought on this was that the fuel boats in my area do not follow predictable patterns. I get texts from the INDUS boat but the others I just happen to see when they are in the area, sometimes too late to buy anything from them.

Since this forum is so enormously collaborative I thought it might be a good way of collectively making people aware of where they are. My opening post here is simple a copy of the text that I received yesterday. I thought I should share the information with those not on the text list - and from that came the idea of a central place to share fuel boat information. I envisage something very simple, a place where the operators themselves, or their customers, can place little updates to help others.

As you may have gathered, this is one of my favourite boats, usually immaculately kept.

All the better, she moves around frequently, trying to service a large area, and Julia offers a very proficient and professional service.

I've still not seen her to ask what on earth Towcester was doing on the Staffs and Worcs last month though - we were not expecting to see it there!

Yes, she was really nice.

She doesn't do my area though. Cosgrove to Leighton Buzzard is Ascot and Beverley (Gary)

She covers up when she is going through those areas she told me

Jean

It would be really useful if all the fuel boats used Navvygator - and would probably bring them a fair amount of additional sales too.

I told Julie (Towcester) about this thread and the fact that she appeared out of the lock near to where we were moored up only minutes after I had posted.But she isnt computer literate she told me

Jean

It would be really useful if all the fuel boats used Navvygator - and would probably bring them a fair amount of additional sales too.

I think the boat-based businesses (diesel, coal, pumpout, fenders, books, etc.) need to get together and form an Association with their own website. This could also help to avoid overlapping territories and extend their customer base by mutual aggreement.

Lock13 information is incomplete (e.g. Luctor is not listed) and does not show current locations.

I am sure Navvygator (Water Explorer) would be pleased to highlight the position of service boats.

I usually buy £150 - £250 of fuel per delivery and I am aware of a Barge that would take 500l - not the sort of cash either of us have in our pocket. I usually rush off to the local cashpoint and pay the vendor further up the cut - I could pay them instantly via PayPal.

Given a secure payment system I need a trusted mobile fuel vendor to refuel my boat in my absence. They text me with the ammount and I pay via PayPal.

Service Boats could get many more customers if they contacted potential customers in advance. I know it is a hard life or I would be doing it! As a minimum you need to walk/cycle your next day's journey and leaflet/talk to the boats.

Alan

The main problem is that the majority of the fuel boat operators don't have the Internet and aren't computer literate so they wouldn't be able to run the Navvygator software or keep any websites updated. I know I can't to do this when out delivering, so rely on Facebook and Twitter through my mobile.

There are options but it would each operator would have to get onboard with it (excuse the pun), and if one decides they're not interested or don't want to update their location for whatever reason it's then pointless.