Twenty Minute Face Off

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

However not Ange or BSP's... Or Ally's fella... :lol:

I had a pet spider of fly eating capacity on my last boat called Cyril. The next season I discovered it should have been Cilla as they were lots of Cyrilettes to e dealt with.

I keep the big uns, in facts there's one under the cover on the engine panel discouraging BP from doing any cruising as we speak. When they nest I get nasty!

I like the big garden spiders - long legs and nearly as big as the palm of your hand...

Dennis eats them though.... :(

I tend to move spiders that are over my bed, but otherwise we tend to ignore them (except for white tails, which have a very nasty bite). They can be beautiful creatures & they deal with mozzies & flies - last year we had a female golden orb spider (outside): the web is actually golden, and strong enough to take your hat off if you walk through it...(yes, Australian, so nothing to add to current fears)

They are so common that I do worry that having a phobia about them must be exhausting - could you learn about them & see if you can find them interesting? Given very few in the UK seem that dangerous, surely be able to cope with just chucking them outside would be easier?

They are so common that I do worry that having a phobia about them must be exhausting - could you learn about them & see if you can find them interesting? Given very few in the UK seem that dangerous, surely be able to cope with just chucking them outside would be easier?

Are we talking about Australians or spiders?

The trouble with a phobia is you learn all about them already - know your enemy! ;)

But I can't even look at a picture of them with my heart racing so this isn't something that I'm in any position to deal with, unfortunately.

:(

Could be worse, I once knew someone with a phobia of buttons

My place in Sussex..near docks..has lots of false widows...they spin very fine threads..my loft was full of them.

I was bitten twice over the years...quite painful.

There are also communities of these various 'foreign' imports along the coast.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/alien-invasion-nonindigenous-spiders-thriving-across-britain-961409.html

Here's some to avoid..12 species that bite in the UK :

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/identification-guides-and-keys/spider-bites/index.html

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I suggest you deal with your spider phobia. It's completely irrational (unless you live somewhere that has Black Widows).

Yes, that's the meaning of a psychological phobia - an irrational fear. However, just knowing that one's phobia is irrational doesn't cure it - it's a mental and physical reaction. I'm sure Stringy will deal with her spider phobia in her own way even if that includes still being scared of spiders.

Edited by blackrose

The trouble with a phobia is you learn all about them already - know your enemy! ;)

But I can't even look at a picture of them with my heart racing so this isn't something that I'm in any position to deal with, unfortunately.

I know someone who has a phobia about marmalade.Have you tried hypnosis my husband was like you and Paul Mckenna cured him it worked so well he kept terantulas for years and would let them walk over him.Not me though if I see one I am out of here till its gone and I have to see the proof :P:P

One of my cats loves to play with spiders, she's useless as she harasses them rather than putting them to a swift death and usually loses them for me to deal with.

Apparently spiders don't taste good- She ate one one day, and then threw it up about 90 seconds later still alive. :o

Edited by Starcoaster

I named her Star. I take it you're one of the few people who knows who she was?

Don't bother.

Think how long it would take to hypnotise every single spider, then tell them to leave.

It's just not worth the effort.

:lol:

Look into my eyes (all eight of em) not around the eyes but into my eyes. Three, two, one... You're back in the boat

Guest Quo Vadis

Look into my eyes (all eight of em) not around the eyes but into my eyes. Three, two, one... You're back in the boat

:clapping:

Great that you can have a sense of humour about it, I appreciate how terrifying a spider phobia can be, made all the worse by the confines of a boat .... get yourself one of those toy guns that shoot the yellow plastic BB shot and go Small Game Hunting.

ps

Mind you, stepping barefoot on a BB shot may be no fun either

Edited by Quo Vadis

Allegedly spiders don't like damp boats and only go for dry ones.

So having spiders on your boat is supposed to be a good sign ( as long as they stay hidden ! )

I was cleaning the shower room the other day and disturbed what I thought was a bit of fluff by the window. Out of it came several tiny spiders that quickly dispersed all over the place. I tried to collect them all but it was hopeless. No doubt I'll be re-acquainted with some of them in the near future :-o

Graham.

My flat it full of loads of the spiders that are really big in terms of leg span but really small in that they are spindly and have really thin legs and bodies.

These don't actually bother me at all, but what I want to know is, are they a particulat type of spiders in their own right, or are they juveniles of the killy killy huge fat hairy sprinters and I should hoover them up now before they get too big and scarey?

Edited by Starcoaster

My flat it full of loads of the spiders that are really big in terms of leg span but really small in that they are spindly and have really thin legs and bodies.

These don't actually bother me at all, but what I want to know is, are they a particulat type of spiders in their own right, or are they juveniles of the killy killy huge fat hairy sprinters and I should hoover them up now before they get too big and scarey?

They won't morph into nasties - they'll just stay like that and multiply. They don't get to more than a couple of inches. My old barn of a house is full of them and when they get too many and the cobwebs grow cobwebs, I just hoover them all up.

Bsp you can buy an electronic spider repeller dont know if it works though