Just trying to gather some information

merpirate

Featured Posts

Hello, I've been recently laid off from my job and all this extra free time has given me the time to really think about my life. I know what I DON'T want, and that's what I have. Every time I look around my house and see all the stuff I have... well it's overwhelming. I've been going through a major clean out but what I really want to do is just leave it all behind! Haha, I've always loved the water and I'm seriously considering purchasing one. I want to be free, and I need to make a change. I know it won't be all magical sunshine and roses, but at least it will be hard work that I chose, if that makes sense. Anyway, I'm still in the information gathering stage, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some good resources or had any advice. I'm leaning towards a narrow boat but I want to explore all my options first. I'd really appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Hi Pirate.

seems like are you are where i was 15 years ago. don't want to be a damp squid, but it can be a hard life.

A lot would depend on what you require and can afford. I have friends in the Med telling me that for 30K I can have a 32 foot liveaboard, CC,ing the med living the dream. i would prefer to spend the next 10 years or so doing the UK network then maybe go over the Euro side.

It is very doable, the people that genuinely live on the waterways are brilliant , (and the regular users) it is a hard life not to be taken lightly but the rewards can be huge. always a helpful neighbour if not next door will be around soon.

if you really want it then give it a go, you will kick yourself for years if you dont.

you have found a good resource here for the canal network, and there are lots of other similar forum for offshore living as well. i am new here so not sure if i am allowed to list other sites as links.

but if you have found this place then you are more than capable of finding the others.

go on dip you toe in, you never know you might like it.

cheers

Smudge

A lot would depend on what you require and can afford. I have friends in the Med telling me that for 30K I can have a 32 foot liveaboard, CC,ing the med living the dream. i would prefer to spend the next 10 years or so doing the UK network then maybe go over the Euro side.

Smudge

I keep thinking I may get a 'sea going 'boat...to do my winter stints...but the cost difference to narrowboating can be huge.

Even diesel engine craft can gulp fuel...expensive non-red fuel these days !

Here are some silly extremes :

My dream 'lottery win' Pershing 100 footer..

OK...so you think..'I could have that if I win the lottery'.

Think again..you'd need the £110 million win.

Fuel consumption..I was told by the owner...150 gallons a mile.

Cost him £75,000 to go Southampton to Ibiza.

I calculate..it would have been cheaper to take it by road !!

OK..that was a silly example.

OK...my sister has a 27 foot weekend boat with twin Volvos.

Average...10 gallons an hour..on petrol.

I think...even a modest 32 footer with diesel...uses about 5 gallons an hour....

Compare that to 1 litre and hour for a narrowboat.

There are also the mooring fees...which are high in the Med....and...from what I observe..( actual observation may vary from description ) ...sea going boats...seem to suffer a lot more from expensive mechaniocal problems...

Having said all that...I may still buy one... :rolleyes:

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

@Smudge: Please, be as damp a squid as you feel like!! One of the reasons I went looking for a forum was that there are people who will tell it like it is. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put me off, but I'll be glad to know what challenges I'll be up against! I really like the idea of having to take care of myself and being closer with my environment.

@Billw: Thanks! That was a wonderful video! Definitely inspirational, and in more ways than one, I'm thinking about digging out my old violin now!

@Bob: WOW! Those are some scary figures! That's really pushing me over to the Narrowboat camp!!

The more I learn the more excited I get!

I keep thinking I may get a 'sea going 'boat...to do my winter stints...but the cost difference to narrowboating can be huge.

Even diesel engine craft can gulp fuel...expensive non-red fuel these days !

Here are some silly extremes :

My dream 'lottery win' Pershing 100 footer..

OK...so you think..'I could have that if I win the lottery'.

Think again..you'd need the £110 million win.

Fuel consumption..I was told by the owner...150 gallons a mile.

Cost him £75,000 to go Southampton to Ibiza.

I calculate..it would have been cheaper to take it by road !!

OK..that was a silly example.

OK...my sister has a 27 foot weekend boat with twin Volvos.

Average...10 gallons an hour..on petrol.

I think...even a modest 32 footer with diesel...uses about 5 gallons an hour....

Compare that to 1 litre and hour for a narrowboat.

There are also the mooring fees...which are high in the Med....and...from what I observe..( actual observation may vary from description ) ...sea going boats...seem to suffer a lot more from expensive mechaniocal problems...

Having said all that...I may still buy one... :rolleyes:

bob

Maniacal surely?

If you want to cruise the med get a sailing boat. While i was crossing the Med in 2007, I met several people, often couples, who had spent years on boats as small as a Westerley 26, (26ft). If you anchor for most of the year, it can be very cost effective.

Motoring at 6 knots on my Moody 44 used around 3 or 4 litres per hour, with a bit of help from the sails sometimes, and what's the rush? :)

Have a look at the forums at www.ybw.com

Cheers,

Richard

I'm still trying to get my head around that fuel consumption for the Pershing! 150 gallons=150 x 4.545l=681l per mile.But over an hour depending on cruising speed could be up to 30times that figure.That could be up to 20k litres per hour and more importantly twenty metric tons of fuel-that would cost 20k for a short channel crossing.I'd guess Southampton to Ibiza to be somewhere in the region of 3k miles (very rough guess).If a 3000 mile trip cost 75k then that is £35 a mile or so which give at 20mph would cost 20 x 35 an hour which is a mere £700 an hour or 700lph give or take. 700lph=154 gallons per hour.Cheap as chips, I'll take a dozen, gift wrap them please.

Edited by JDR

In answer to the OPs question:buying a boat is the easy bit.If you intend to be a liveaboard there are two officially sanctioned methods-living on a mooring with planning permission for residential use or continuously cruising the system.The reality is not so black and white.Use the search feature on this site you'll see it's an emotive subject.I'd think about what you want from a boat and how much you want to spend first.