got the chance....

johnsouthport

Featured Posts

Hello. iv got the chance to purchase a 40 ft semi trad Liverpool Boats shell, 4 year old, never in the water,windows fitted but nothing else, comes with new solid fuel stove, 2 lister engines, ?? seller run out of money and interest, im competant at plumbing and joinery ( its what I do for a living) is it a good buy at £11,000 ?cheers. John.

Hello. iv got the chance to purchase a 40 ft semi trad Liverpool Boats shell, 4 year old, never in the water,windows fitted but nothing else, comes with new solid fuel stove, 2 lister engines, ?? seller run out of money and interest, im competant at plumbing and joinery ( its what I do for a living) is it a good buy at £11,000 ?cheers. John.

At 4 years old how do you fair for RCD on an owner "part"fitout

Perfectly achievable John, I'm only semi skilled in associated trades and it's all pretty much common sence, plumbing is probably the trickiest part of fitting out, so you're well covered there bearing in mind some different rules for gas on boats. I would say a bargain too at that price assuming the hull has been reasonably protected whilst out of the water. You don't need 2 engines so one may be saleable. Offer 10k in cash, but still get a survey done just for peace of mind.

Liverpool shells were sound - our last boat had one. July's advice is equally sound. 40 foot is a nice manageable size too (our Liverpool, fitted out by the admirable Devizes Narrowboat Builders, was that same length). Look forward to your fitting-out blog! Good luck with it.

Hi John

The Recreational Craft Directive (RCD)

Full info here.

http://www.canaljunction.com/boat/rcd_narrowboat.htm

I would have thought though that the boat builder would have certificated the boat prior to selling to current owner. I think that's what happened with us. The work we then undertook was inspected and passed by BSS boat safety scheme. You'll need to know the BSS requirements before you fit out, they're mainly safety requirements and are quite straight forward.

Thankyou, thats very helpfull.

We were going through some old paperwork and the certificate you should have with the boat is a

Declaration of Conformity

This should have been supplied by the boat builder to it's new owner.

Might look something like this. It's just an example though.

http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/technical/Web%20Documents/RCD%20Documents/Appendix%209%20DoC.pdf

We were going through some old paperwork and the certificate you should have with the boat is a

Declaration of Conformity

This should have been supplied by the boat builder to it's new owner.

Might look something like this. It's just an example though.

http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/technical/Web%20Documents/RCD%20Documents/Appendix%209%20DoC.pdf

And any work the owner has done since buying the hull needs to comply with the RCD with the appropriate documentation if he is selling it under 5 years from being put into use. As far as the RCD is consumed I think you will find this is still a NEW boat

And any work the owner has done since buying the hull needs to comply with the RCD with the appropriate documentation if he is selling it under 5 years from being put into use. As far as the RCD is consumed I think you will find this is still a NEW boat

It's not been put to use.

If the engine and windows were fitted by the builder the boat should have come with an RCD Annexe 3 Declaration of Conformity for a partly completed craft - although it would only have been valid for a year, you need that document. If it was sold by the builder as a shell then I'm not sure what the situation is, but someone here should know. For a sailaway (shell with fitted engine & windows), unless the person who was fitting out and is now selling the boat has completed to full conformity to the RCD then it's technically illegal for him to sell it within 5 years of the original build.

Uncompleted craft have been bought and sold within the 5 year period and I'm not sure if anyone's ever been prosecuted, but as a buyer you should be aware. Many people (such as myself) complete the fitout of a sailaway but don't complete it to RCD standards and just get a Boat Safety Certificate after 1 year (which lasts 4 years), after which time we are permitted by law to sell. The chances are that you could buy this boat and just get a BSC if the boat doesn't have one and you'd be fine, but if you're still interested I'd be asking some questions of the vendor and possibly using this as leverage to financially offset the risk of buying a boat without the correct paperwork.

Edited by blackrose

The seller purchased just a shell with window apertures cut, he has fitted the windows himself ( badly) Hes away on holiday at the moment, but iv spoken to him twice now on the phone, and he assures me he has all the relevant paperwork, inc original bill of sale, he is not selling this by way of business, if it goes ahead it will be a private sale between 2 individuals. Nothing else is fitted, the 2 engines and a gear box and solid fuel stove he has aquired in last few years and are languishing in his garage at the moment.

Edited by johnsouthport

The seller purchased just a shell with window apertures cut, he has fitted the windows himself ( badly) Hes away on holiday at the moment, but iv spoken to him twice now on the phone, and he assures me he has all the relevant paperwork, inc original bill of sale, he is not selling this by way of business, if it goes ahead it will be a private sale between 2 individuals. Nothing else is fitted, the 2 engines and a gear box and solid fuel stove he has aquired in last few years and are languishing in his garage at the moment.

You should be OK then if he has all the original paperwork.