Coventry Godiva (CDB)

CygnusV

Featured Posts

Ours dates back to 1950 (same as me!) 4 cylinder 30HP runs good as new and doesn't drink much oil or diesel. Parts are a nightmare though. This same engine was used on the Green Goddess fire engines to drive the water to the fire hoses. Love to hear from anyone who has any info at all about spares....

• Greenie 1

• 6 months later...

Ours dates back to 1950 (same as me!) 4 cylinder 30HP runs good as new and doesn't drink much oil or diesel. Parts are a nightmare though. This same engine was used on the Green Goddess fire engines to drive the water to the fire hoses. Love to hear from anyone who has any info at all about spares....

Just out of interest. When I bought ours she came complete with a very comprehensive workshop manual that covers both engine and gearbox. Anyone needing :help: from the manual is welcome to PM me.

Just out of interest. When I bought ours she came complete with a very comprehensive workshop manual that covers both engine and gearbox. Anyone needing :help: from the manual is welcome to PM me.

jimmy hamptons scrap dealer has a number of these pumps as new..think he's in stoke/newcastle...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

CygnusV, I'm from argentina and I have a sailboat with a Coventry Godiva as yours! It has been idle for years and I'm planning to restart it. Do you have a scanned copy of the manual or pictures of the content? Your help will be very much appreciated!!!

Is the engine definitely classed as a "Coventry Godiva"? as far as I was aware, the engine is the Coventry Climax, the water pump attached to the engine is a Godiva Pump.

That's the Hillman Imp petrol engine, this is a 1950's diesel

Richard

Is the engine definitely classed as a "Coventry Godiva"? as far as I was aware, the engine is the Coventry Climax, the water pump attached to the engine is a Godiva Pump.

In my innocence I thought Coventry Climax were an engine maker.

That's the Hillman Imp petrol engine, this is a 1950's diesel

Richard

Forgive me but the OP contradicts itself (although now I've seen it's years old!) - the engine on the auxiliary water pumps carried on green goddess appliances was a petrol Coventry Climax engined Godiva Fire Pump (at least the one I have is!).

The only "Godiva" engine that I'm aware of is a V8 Petrol.

[edit] after further research I stand corrected about the 2 cylinder diesel!

Edited by MarkHez

Forgive me but the OP contradicts itself (although now I've seen it's years old!) - the engine on the auxiliary water pumps carried on green goddess appliances was a petrol Coventry Climax engined Godiva Fire Pump (at least the one I have is!).

The only "Godiva" engine that I'm aware of is a V8 Petrol.

[edit] after further research I stand corrected about the 2 cylinder diesel!

Not that it really matters after five years - this is a zombie thread

Richard

Not that it really matters after five years - this is a zombie thread

Richard

A possible zombie writes:

I have seen at least one narrowboat with a "Coventry Victor" engine. Would this have been another model from the same company, or made by a different company?

A possible zombie writes:

I have seen at least one narrowboat with a "Coventry Victor" engine. Would this have been another model from the same company, or made by a different company?

Yes, that is another from the same company

Richard

That's the Hillman Imp petrol engine

Strictly speaking the Hillman Imp engine is a modified, productionised version of the Coventry Climax FWMA. It was the first mass produced car to be fitted with an aluminium block and cylinder head. The cylinder head on the Imp was quite different to the Coventry Climax. There were also problems caused by the installation which resulted in the vehicle overheating.

Sounds as if you've got/had a Coventry KF4, which is a 4-cylinder 2-stroke diesel, much used by the Admiralty in small craft in the 50's.

There aren't many of them about these days, but there is one in a boat which moors a few yards away from me, and funnily enough the owner of it asked me if I knew any source of parts for it just the other day. Have you still got yours ?

Edited by Tony Dunkley

• 3 months later...

The Coventry Victor was a flat 2 cyl 14hp petrol engine.

I know this is an old thread but Bizzard's post above got me wondering. Back in the 80's when I knew very little about anything to do with canals we ended up with a boat with an ancient single cylinder thumper that I'm sure was called a Coventry Victor. We were told at the time that it was the predecessor to the Coventry Climax. It had a pot with a cap that you unscrewed to force oil down into the cylinder to seal the bore to assist cold starting and was raw water cooled.

So was there more than one Victor, or am I mis-remembering the name?

Tony

I know this is an old thread but Bizzard's post above got me wondering. Back in the 80's when I knew very little about anything to do with canals we ended up with a boat with an ancient single cylinder thumper that I'm sure was called a Coventry Victor. We were told at the time that it was the predecessor to the Coventry Climax. It had a pot with a cap that you unscrewed to force oil down into the cylinder to seal the bore to assist cold starting and was raw water cooled.

So was there more than one Victor, or am I mis-remembering the name?

Tony

Sorry. The engine I was refering to was the Coventry Victor Vixen flat 2cyl 14hp petrol engine I think it was the MW2. I had one as an aux in a sailing yacht. It was coupled to a Morris 1.1 gearbox.