Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 25th-26th June

Bones

Featured Posts

Capricorn will be a late arrival on late Friday afternoon/early evening - I hope there will still be room to moor! Its been a bit touch and go whether I'd be able to take the boat so the plan is to polish brasses en route!

I'll be taking the boat out on the parade on Saturday at least - not sure about Sunday.

Do come and say hello.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

I am planning to be there by boat, but also hoping to have my quarter scale working boat "Eagle" if I can find somewhere to launch her.

If any of you are interested, there are a couple of videos on youtube.

Your "EAGLE" is looking rather nice, just like a real boat, only a bit fast.

Have a nice W.E. in Braunston.

Peter.

Me and the Wife will be there, but sadly without boat - we only have a day (Saturday) and even without our well-known velocity issues (Hi Alan's!) we'd be pushing it to get there, go around and get back before Mrs. B. Presides at the Patronal on Sunday :(

Still, I'll look out for forum members and see if I can persuade anybody to make us a cuppa and treat us like real boaters :captain::cheers:

Looking forwards to seeing Sickle, Alan

Still, I'll look out for forum members and see if I can persuade anybody to make us a cuppa and treat us like real boaters :captain::cheers:

Looking forwards to seeing Sickle, Alan

You don't know the limitations of our tea making facilities then!

(It may be easier just to adjourn to the beer tent if there are many visitors!.......)

It must be an historic thing to crash into the gates to open them and to drop the paddles instead of winding them down going on the ammount of boats that have been doing it the last couple of days :angry:

Pushing, not crashing. the gates with a motor boat and dropping the paddles under control with a hand on the spindle (rather than allowing to fall free)were certainly usual practices. Some people were no doubt rougher than others, historically as in the present.

Tim

Pushing, not crashing. the gates with a motor boat and dropping the paddles under control with a hand on the spindle (rather than allowing to fall free)were certainly usual practices. Some people were no doubt rougher than others, historically as in the present.

Tim

.This is crashing into the gates and the whacking the safety catch with the windlass to drop the paddle.Its bloody annoying when they do it and its lazy.

Theres nothing wrong with using the boat to open gates, we do it all the time, but do it with care. I drop paddles controlling the spindle with my hand, thats a practice thats been arounsd a long time. On some geared paddle gear knocking the catch off simply lets the gear run back slowly, these are traits from the working boat days, not lazy operators. Of course there will be some that dont know which gear does what and are trying to show that they are "working boaters" rather than owners of historic craft imitating the past. In the last two days I have witnessed two windlasses flying off spindles, 2 locks operated with the top paddles still up, one boater who moored up at the lock mouth whilst the crew changed into wet weather gear suitable for an ocean crossing (we had a few spots of rail lasting 5 mins!) - personally these are more a menace than the others mentioned here.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Theres nothing wrong with using the boat to open gates, we do it all the time, but do it with care. I drop paddles controlling the spindle with my hand, thats a practice thats been arounsd a long time. On some geared paddle gear knocking the catch off simply lets the gear run back slowly, these are traits from the working boat days, not lazy operators. Of course there will be some that dont know which gear does what and are trying to show that they are "working boaters" rather than owners of historic craft imitating the past. In the last two days I have witnessed two windlasses flying off spindles, 2 locks operated with the top paddles still up, one boater who moored up at the lock mouth whilst the crew changed into wet weather gear suitable for an ocean crossing (we had a few spots of rail lasting 5 mins!) - personally these are more a menace than the others mentioned here.

Its lazy to use your boat to open the gates, what if everyone did it why not just open them the normal way you say you do it with care and you might well do but not everyone would or for that matter does,you wouldnt knock the safty lock off to drop the paddles on the atherstone locks so they are being lazy sods,You may well drop the paddle using your hand but why not use a windlass it takes about the same amount of time.it might be a pratice thats been around a long time but it dont make it a good practice

Edited by romarni123

Its lazy to use your boat to open the gates, what if everyone did it why not just open them the normal way

<snip>

Your view is a relatively modern one. The "Normal" way to open a lock is using the boat, and there was a time when everyone did this. It is only with the spread of leisure boating that people have taken to struggling with gates

Richard

• Greenie 1

Its lazy to use your boat to open the gates, what if everyone did it why not just open them the normal way you say you do it with care and you might well do but not everyone would or for that matter does,you wouldnt knock the safty lock off to drop the paddles on the atherstone locks so they are being lazy sods,You may well drop the paddle using your hand but why not use a windlass it takes about the same amount of time.it might be a pratice thats been around a long time but it dont make it a good practice

Why is it lazy to let the boat open the gates?

Your view is a relatively modern one. The "Normal" way to open a lock is using the boat, and there was a time when everyone did this. It is only with the spread of leisure boating that people have taken to struggling with gates

Richard

Oh good what we need is everyone opening the gates with their boats, I am sure perhaps a hundred boats a day doing it on one lock will make sure they stay in good shape for the future.While we are at it why dont we all drop the paddles as well I am sure it will help to preserve them.

Why is it lazy to let the boat open the gates?

Why do you do it ???

You missed the rain out of that forecast :lol:

That's because it ain't forecast :-)

What happens in reality is another thing but I can't remember a wet Braunston Rally.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Oh good what we need is everyone opening the gates with their boats, I am sure perhaps a hundred boats a day doing it on one lock will make sure they stay in good shape for the future.While we are at it why dont we all drop the paddles as well I am sure it will help to preserve them.

Back in the days of commercial carrying, boats used to get through locks etc with the least effort possible and as quickly as possible. Gently lowering paddle gear and lift bridges etc was unheard off. that said, when something broke, there was the man power to fix it.

These days we need to be a bit more careful with paddle gear etc. If it does get broken, who knows when it may get repaired (as well as the cost of repairs)

As far as using the boat to ease the opening (and closing if you can find one with a strapping post). Unless you're ram raiding them..... what damage are you going to do?

Obviously, you need to be a bit careful of the gates on the Wey because they're made from balsa wood and chipboard ;)

Why do you do it ???

We had to push open a top gate at Eastham on the MSC a little while ago, when they couldn't get a level. :rolleyes:

Tim

You have to remember that when the canals were used commercially any days lost to closure and maintenance was lost money. While some were a little agricultural, all would be careful enough not to cause damage. While paddles and gates are used with what seems rough and tumble, if it's done right it will not cause any damage over and above "normal" usage.

If you are talking about the wide locks on the Warwick and Birmingham, and Warwick and Napton parts of the Grand Union, the paddles are designed to drop. There is a dashpot with oil that slows the fall, however you do need to ensure they fully close as some don't!

Mike

Does anyone know if there is much decent shade in the car park (thinking of taking the dog and would help to know the options)?

Dunno about the car park, but there are usually several dogs being walked around, Charlie got to be in the parade last year. We even got recognised by our dog!

(This year, however, as we are in our own tiny boat, Charlie will be at home with the sons.)

Cheers

Cath