Class 55 "Deltic" windows fitted to narrowboats

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Is there any MTB's with Deltics any more - had a look on the internet, but couldn't find anything.

Mike

This doesn't seem to be any more current than 2006, but according to this link the "Hunt class mine countermeasures vessel" was the last to use the Deltic engine, and vessels were still in service then.

(Surely the enemy could hear them coming!)

This doesn't seem to be any more current than 2006, but according to this link the "Hunt class mine countermeasures vessel" was the last to use the Deltic engine, and vessels were still in service then.

(Surely the enemy could hear them coming!)

At 750 ton and 20 kts speed they are not quite MTB's though are they!

Mike

They're as 'true' as any other diesel loco. There's a choice of transmission system between Diesel-mechanical, Diesel-Hydraulic and Diesel-Electric. I don't know of large mainline locos with mechanical transmission, one of the issues is in getting thousands of horsepower to wheels on sprung bogies. Common enough on small locos where the driving wheels are held on the frames as with most steam locos.

Tim

There was this one, which had six engines with a total power output of 2000hp

D10100 Fell Loco

Firesprite

:smiley_offtopic:

Those of you who love things of a sooty, oily disposition...

Have you heard one of the new class 70s? They're incredibly noisy in a purposeful kind of way

Richard

:smiley_offtopic:

Those of you who love things of a sooty, oily disposition...

Have you heard one of the new class 70s? They're incredibly noisy in a purposeful kind of way

Richard

Those class 70 sound like a Deltic under load, several fooled me when they first started to pass by, nice sounding loco and a bit of a hit with drivers I beleive.

The Deltic engine would have been great in common rail guise, no camshafts and variable injection timing, phwoar. Or has it been done somewhere?

Before the Napier Deltic engine was developed Faibanks-Morse in America were using opposed diesel engines from marine use in a new Raymond Loewy designed loco. This may be where the idea of opposed units for rail came from. The FM units were very good and lasted well. Alco then developed the PA series which was very nearly mechanicly identical to the two prototype diesels the LMS built 10000 & 10001.

FM link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_Erie-built

see the livery here and think of the prototype "Deltic"!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALCO_PA

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Those class 70 sound like a Deltic under load, several fooled me when they first started to pass by, nice sounding loco and a bit of a hit with drivers I beleive.

<snip>

They are working incredibly long container trains through Kenilworth, and occasionally have to start from the Common. I must try to get a photo of one

Richard

Fairbanks Morse opposed cylinder diesels were also used in US fleet submarines in WW2...I would imagine that compact size was a real bonus in that application too.

OOOOH THATS NICE, the best sounding diesel in the world!

I sold the horns of 55007 "Pinza" to a narrowboat owner so a set is out there. They are the same Horns as used on Class 40, 45 &46 except tuned different to sound like "a strangled cat" (a Finsbury Park depot term)

I remember camping near Northallerton by the ECML and never sleeping at all, just listnening to Deltics going by, in the quiet as previously saaid you could hear them for ages.

Clearly need to keep my eyes (& ears?) open.

Any idea how they tuned them? That would widen the possibilities somewhat...

Clearly need to keep my eyes (& ears?) open.

Any idea how they tuned them? That would widen the possibilities somewhat...

Theres a couple of nuts and a rubber ball which compresses in the back of them, you just fiddle with the setting till its sounds like a "strangled cat" (Finsbury Park terminology) then adjust the air pressure to suit - if it right YOU WILL BE PROBABLY DEAF.

I always wanted to get a boat fitted with them on the Regents above Gas Works tunnel and sound them to see what reaction you got from the spotters on the Cross!!! :o

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

>snip<

I always wanted to get a boat fitted with them on the Regents above Gas Works tunnel and sound them to see what reaction you got from the spotters on the Cross!!! :o

Having served my apprenticeship with English Electric (I started, as an office boy, at the Diesel Engine Division's HQ at Brownsover Hall) I was fond of the Deltics but you youngsters just don't know what you missed - in my days of loco-spotting at Grantham Station, the sound that caused a real stir was the chime of an approaching 'Streak' - or a Gresley A4 'Pacific' to give them their more formal description.

When seen, approaching, from a distance, you always heard the chime a short time before seeing the 'fan' of steam that created it - then it would thunder through - so fast that ascertaining the engine's identity provided a serious challenge for the awe-struck observers. Even today, the sound of a chime whistle still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck . . .

What happy days those were, able to climb over locos, "cab" them, get into sheds. How much danger was there compared to today? Deltics were my favorite, just standing and listening to them at Kings Cross was a thrill. My birthday present in 1981 was a trip up north behind "Tulyar". Still got recordings too but in those days no movie camera.

Ahh well back to this pile of papers under the desk paperweight (a injector off "Pinza") .....

1967 - a eternity ago!

gallery_5000_522_43374.jpg

edited I wWIll lern to Sppel oneday, onedayy

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I once had the opportunity to get into the cab of a Deltic too - pretty recently.

One of my daughters (ex!) boyfriends worked for the North Yorks Moors railway and they were baby sitting one for a private collector. Managed to explore a few cabs and foot plates that day - but the Deltic was indeed 'special' due to remembering childhood visits to the capital.

I was struck at how 'basic' it all seemed inside compared to the cabs of modern HST's and their ilk.

What happy days those were, able to climb over locos, "cab" them, get into sheds. How much danger was there compared to today? Deltics were my favorite, just standing and listening to them at Kings Cross was a thrill. My birthday present in 1981 was a trip up north behind "Tulyar". Still got recordings too but in those days no movie camera.

Ahh well back to this pile of papers under the desk paperweight (a injector f"Pinza") .....

I remember them well. We used to go up to London, and with our penny Platform Ticket and watch the trains arriving and departing. At Paddington it was traditioanl to stand in a queue on No.1 platform, and wait for the Express loco Driver to invite us up, one by one, into the cab where we were allowed to put our hands on the control levers.

However the best experience was on the last but one day of the Greenford/Ealing Broadway "Push and Pull" train when, although it was probably against the rules even then, my friend David Collins and I were allowed to ride on the footplate of the little Auto Tank loco. I doubt if we went over 25mph, but to us at ten years old, it was a very exciting journey.

Edited by David Schweizer

What a fascinating thread this has turned out to be! I love reading all your stories of yesteryear....

Now, I'm no rail enthusiast but have to confess that HWMBO is. He is a volunteer at the East Lancashire Railway in the diesel dept, a qualified second-man and a trainee driver. He has been a rail enthusiast all his life and having been together for over 13 years, it has rubbed off on me :help: .

We are also personal friends with Deltic 22's owner, he also owns Deltic 16. He works tirelessly to raise funds to keep both the Deltics running and in good preserved order. He has taken a lot of flack for his recent freight workings, but is doing it purely to keep the engine working and I say good luck to him :cheers:

I have to admit, I don't really like the sound of the Deltic, it doesn't do anything for me... give me a "tractor" (class 37) anyday :P

<<<<<<<<< gets my coat ;)

He has taken a lot of flack for his recent freight workings, but is doing it purely to keep the engine working and I say good luck to him :cheers:

Why? I have a working boat, and I like to load it where possible - why not for a loco?

Mike