Bought the boat, need to bring her South - Help!

Rob99fla

Featured Posts

Who built the boat? Some of the detailing looks very similar to mine (though yours is tidier!).

I may well be available to lockwheel in July, around Fradley / Willington / Loughborough (depending which way you're going).

R&D shell, fit out by Merlin (who were excellent at woodwork - they were based at Braunston). If you want the full info you can download the brochure here

I will say that the way the owners have maintained that boat is mightily impressive. It is, without any exaggeration, immaculate.

Edited by Dominic M

Beatrice is currently pointing the other way, up the canal. If you want my advice, take her up to the top of the Chesterfield while she is still up here, the flight is pure magic and you will have definately got used to locks by the time you get back. Allow 5 days.

I knew Adrian was having a tug next, didn't realise it was warrior! Look forward to seeing her.

Lee

(edited to add a bit more)

Edited by Lee J

Use a camera. If you start waving guns around all you do is rile them and make it worse for the next boater that comes after you and doesn't have a gun. Be sensible, please.

FWIW I've boated through plenty of no-go areas without trouble, I find a smile and a wave works alot better than a scowl.

Oops! I think my warped sense of humour about the air gun and catapult (probably because I am a southerner!) has been taken too seriously. I was only joking, honest. In my job, I normally can get on with young people whatever they are like. As you say, trying to be friendly to them works better. Thanks for the advice from everyone on here. I feel very humbled that everybody has taken an interest.

Regards

Rob

What a lovely photo. I wonder who took it :) ?

It was Dominic from Rugby Boats Ltd, of course. :mellow: Can I say what fantastic and professional service I have had from Dominic at Rugby Boats. A few weeks back, I bumped into Sue & Barry (nb Esther) at Hungerford when he was polishing his beautiful engine and I was walking by on the towpath (on my way to Oxford to see my son). I didn't know them but we got talking and he recommended Dominic from Rugby Boats. There we are!

Rob

Good luck!

Is that the Alchemy moorings at Yarnton Road?

On moving...don't feel you have to singlehand until and unless you feel ready. Try to get crew and if you fail it's no disaster - BW don't expect you to do the impossible. Call and explain if you run into problems. Lots of people do at the just took ownership stage.

Good luck!

Is that the Alchemy moorings at Yarnton Road?

On moving...don't feel you have to singlehand until and unless you feel ready. Try to get crew and if you fail it's no disaster - BW don't expect you to do the impossible. Call and explain if you run into problems. Lots of people do at the just took ownership stage.

Yes, it is the Alchemy moorings. Do you know them? I need somewhere to moor thats not too far away as we live in Dorset.

Rob

Yes, it is the Alchemy moorings. Do you know them? I need somewhere to moor thats not too far away as we live in Dorset.

Rob

They're ace. And your landlord is a sexy great hunk of a man too. Give him my love. We moored there in error one Christmas so our first meeting was not a happy one. He'll know who. :)

He calms down very quickly when he loses his rag, and bears no grudges, but he is scary when angry!

One of the good 'uns. Good local rep for steelwork and builds a nice boat. Will usually recommend people (or organise them) to do work he ain't as hot on, which is always a good sign.

Well done. Perfect spot too. Bus, shops, parking and post. Water and winding hole within a mile or two in both directions with one lock and a closed liftbridge each way. Easy walk to Elsan.

Our favourite stretch for mooring near Oxford. On the plebs side, mostly...

Secure too. The liveaboards used to let us park there and never a hint of trouble even though it is next to the village footie ground. Busy at match times is all.

The cops stopped my partner loads too, so no need to worry about any dark-skinned gangsta types... not so great, but you can't have everything.

Edited by ymu

By coincidence, the vendor of Beatrice dropped by for a brew today. We had a great chinwag. I felt humbled when I saw his boat up on the Chesterfield, he and his wife obviously loved the boat and love boating. Today I found out that he works for St Dunstan's Trust, driving all over the country sorting out computers for the blind, many of them ex-serviceman who have lost their sight after injury on duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. I felt even more humbled. A fine man, who deserves a lovely boat like Warrior.

By coincidence, the vendor of Beatrice dropped by for a brew today. We had a great chinwag. I felt humbled when I saw his boat up on the Chesterfield, he and his wife obviously loved the boat and love boating. Today I found out that he works for St Dunstan's Trust, driving all over the country sorting out computers for the blind, many of them ex-serviceman who have lost their sight after injury on duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. I felt even more humbled. A fine man, who deserves a lovely boat like Warrior.

A lovely story. Restores your faith in human nature after some of the **** we have had on this forum recently.

Hi there

My name is Rob and my partner is Caroline and we are from West Dorset (no canals here) Have just bought a lovely 46' Trad from up north but the owner will take her to Sawley for us. We(I) then need to take her south to Kidlington, near Oxford where I have arranged a mooring. Now the interesting bit. Call me mad but the only narrow boat I have been on is a hire boat back in the 80's so I have very little experience.

I have looked up the journey on CanalPlanAC. Looks like a 9 day journey but I guess it will take longer. I dont think we can do this in one hit and I might have to be single handed for a bit.

So, all you experienced narrow boaters out there. Come to our rescue. Will I be OK? Is it OK to leave the boat moored for a couple of weeks and come back? Will I get lost??

Looking forward to any replies but please not "what do you think you are doing - you must be mad". I already know this.

Here she is. Perhaps someone knows this boat?

1182-01.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Rob & Caroline

A very nice paint job by the look of her. Have a great trip, you can usually moor safely and leave for a few weeks on the towpath if you're careful about where. Ask other boats that you meet on the journey, rural areas are best, don't leave her in a town or city, and put poles and boathooks inside. If you moor on the towpath near a marina, pop in and ask if they ever get any trouble - I got some very helpful advice about where to moor from the marina at Kidlington L&LC when I moored up nearby for three weeks once in a break in a trip to Manchester.

Edited by Matthew Dowson

We are so chuffed it's going to such a good home. Fortunately we were able to show Adrian photos of it at the top of the Chesterfield so he knows it'll go through Stret Lock and I'm sure it'll be very happy there. To the OP - if you can find the time, do go up the Chesterfield while you're there. Oh, and make a detour for the Erewash on your way back - if you won't be back that way again for a while you really don't want to miss the opportunity.

It might be a bit shorter in distance but its a crap run for a novice who might be a bit scared,he will have the river section the locks at foxton have to go through the middle of an housing estate while the kids are on holiday, there are much moor rural moorings on the Coventry than the leicester section and the only crap bit is nuneaton but compared to some parts of Leicester its a dream,apart from a short section in tamworth and the short section in nuneaton the rest is rural so why less places that you would want to moor overnight??

Agreed. And as for not mooring in Nuneaton, what's wrong with Springwood Haven, as MJG did? Wot Ever is moored there and a safer, more peaceful and picturesque spot you couldn't hope to find.

Tony