Crick show 2011 ~ Who's going to it

Featured Posts

And the winner of the Crick 2011 favourite boat is...

Piper Boats!

I didn't go on this boat but i'm sure they will have deserved it and a very well done to them.

Is that as in William Piper??

or the other one...

I can't find Piper on the exhibitors list on the web site?? - so I don't think they were there, I know William Piper were though..

Is that as in William Piper??

or the other one...

I can't find Piper on the exhibitors list on the web site?? - so I don't think they were there, I know William Piper were though..

Piper Boats... just scroll down the page on the link and they are there: http://www.crickboatshow.com/floatingboats.html

I thought William Piper were in with a strong chance again this year...

Piper Boats... just scroll down the page on the link and they are there: http://www.crickboatshow.com/floatingboats.html

I thought William Piper were in with a strong chance again this year...

I must be going blind - the only Piper I can see is William Piper, it is also the only Piper that my browser can find on that page...weird.

ETA - ah ha sorted - I've refreshed the page - it seems I have been looking at a cached version.

Edited by MJG

It was all getting a bit frustrating not being able to find out who won so I phoned Sarah Kidd via the contact page on the website and she kindly confirmed it for me.

I can't remember what their boat looked like as it was an 'appointments only' boat and I didn't bother with those..

pics any one..??

hang on a mo - according to their web site they had two boats there

crick_over.jpg

do we know which one won??? - or did they only take one in the end??

Edited by MJG

it was an 'appointments only' boat and I didn't bother with those..

Neither did we and that's prompted me to wondering just how many of the public who attend actually vote?

Maybe i'm wrong and there's always a reverse way of looking at it but I would have thought an appointments only boat would have fewer viewings than those where you can just wander on and off at your own leisure?

Were the visitors to the winning boat just more subjective and it had a high number of votes proportionally to the number of visitors or did they actually achieve a higher visit rate by making it appointments only?

Was Sepp Blatter called in to count the votes? ;)

Only joking... as said before i'm sure that Piper thoroughly deserved it and very well done to them.

Either way we enjoy the competition if only as a bit of fun and have to admit that we forgot to even vote at all as I was in a rush to get over to the recently re-opened Admiral Nelson for a pint!

I can't remember what their boat looked like as it was an 'appointments only' boat and I didn't bother with those..

pics any one..??

hang on a mo - according to their web site they had two boats there

crick_over.jpg

do we know which one won??? - or did they only take one in the end??

It was neither. It was William Piper.

And MGM Boats were second, and Braidbar were third.

Noted - they won year before last too from memory. I didn't see their boat this year though either.

It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks to me that it suffers exactly the same visual problem as does Dover, and many other attempts at faking an "under cloths" look.

It appears to have a ridiculously wide (fake) top plank, in a bid to try and create a bit more internal space. (One of the worst of this genre was "Kenneth", a boat that seems to have ended up more or less unsaleable, I think).

I really can't see the point!

Give it a proper cabin, and it will not look half as odd, and you are then not forced into an unnecessary compromise between external look, and internal space.

At the end of the day, the best it can achieve is to look like a Steve Hudson boat - precisely because it's a Steve Hudson boat, it's never going to look like any working boat that ever existed in practice! :rolleyes:

This boat is based at Heyford Fields and I was visiting there some weeks ago on the day it arrived (the owners previously moored there with another boat) so I had a look around. It does not have a wide top plank which made it internally seem cramped to me, especially the bathroom.

Well don't telephone the official website people then... best of it was I even asked if she meant William Piper and not Piper and she still said it was Piper.

Very well done all the same.

Edited to add for typo and the fact that the missus will not shut up now as she really rated the William Piper again and Martin is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet... they did indeed win in 2009 with Pyrus which we managed to get a sneak preview of as she was being fitted out.

We noticed two of their boats breasted up on the cut and they both looked very nice, I think one was Pyrus and the other a tug.

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

I can confirm it was William Piper. Thanks for everyone who visited our boat Barolo this year, and a special thanks to everyone who voted, it really did mean the world to us, there was a lot of love went into her. Hope to see you all down the yard soon, and if not, at Crick next year :)

MGM had a boat at the show then?

We were their latest boat in 2006 & took it up --- but moored on the canal --- for anyone with a serious interest to have a look at.

It piddled down that year & luckily not too many trudged round.

Well done Martin, Mark & Rachael.

MGM had a boat at the show then?

We were their latest boat in 2006 & took it up --- but moored on the canal --- for anyone with a serious interest to have a look at.

It piddled down that year & luckily not too many trudged round.

Well done Martin, Mark & Rachael.

MGM boats "Chance"

Crick-005_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Richard

For those who didn't go to Crick, the internet provides this:

barolo.jpg

Richard

Pastiche boats are in this year

All a matter of personal taste of course but I am not that fond of boats like this. I find the short remnant of covered area at the front odd. The forecabin feature can on some boats look good but it doesn't add anything on this boat and looked rather shapeless and done with no real flare. There were several other boats I liked better. The Stoke boats one was good and I did admire the more full on "converted working boat" replica from Hudson although I might feel a bit self concious using it. I did admire the full on effort to that kind of boat.

I guess I should also admit some bias against William Piper boats (for reasons I shan't go into) but I would rather eat dirt than buy one.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 2

Does sound rather bias churchwood. I personally put a lot of effort into this boat, and so your comments upset me. Can you elaborate on why? Certainly quite a strong opinion...

• Greenie 1

Does sound rather bias churchwood. I personally put a lot of effort into this boat, and so your comments upset me. Can you elaborate on why? Certainly quite a strong opinion...

Its a lovely boat and a credit to those involved in building her. Don't be put off by comments such as these

Charles

Edited by charles123

Togger, If you won't mind a PM? then I will try and explain but I don't wish to in the public forum because I don't think it would serve any purpose.

I don't specifically wish to cause you offence and if you prefer I will remove the comment but it won't change my opinion.

Edited by churchward

I guess I should also admit some bias against William Piper boats (for reasons I shan't go into) but I would rather eat dirt than buy one.

I think if you're going to say something damaging like that then you should explain why or withdraw the remark. I know the guy who 'is' William Piper Narrowboats and have a lot of time for him as a person and as a talented boatfitter

I think if you're going to say something damaging like that then you should explain why or withdraw the remark. I know the guy who 'is' William Piper Narrowboats and have a lot of time for him as a person and as a talented boatfitter

Seconded...

It's very easy to hide behind veiled criticisms in a public forum unless you you are prepared to stand by them....

ETA that should have been thirded,,,

Edited by MJG