Help needed

grahamjnewman

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where I can get spares or indeed repairs doen to a Zeise Stange Energie Technik MPW 5 generator - the starter motor has failed and I need new braided water pipe - I can only seem to find heater hose which is too thick. Thanks Graham

Tried emailing the manufactuers in germany for parts stockist in the UK?

Yes tried that but they havnt responded - have tried to call them but the receptionist only speaks German and I dont !

Any decent motor rewinders will be able to do the starter motor. You don't need the manufacturers for that.

Thanks for this - I have found a firm nearby and will pop in and ss if they can repair it.

... have tried to call them but the receptionist only speaks German and I dont !

Well, their contact page lists a whole bunch of folk who are credited with speaking English.

Tony

I guess the most relevant for your purposes will be:

Service: Mr Berger German/English

Tel.____ +49 (0) 21 73 / 399 37-14

Fax ___ +49 (0) 21 73 / 399 37-21

SKYPE Text: Name = set.berger

Mail: service AT set-zeise DOT de

Well, their contact page lists a whole bunch of folk who are credited with speaking English.

Tony

I guess the most relevant for your purposes will be:

Service: Mr Berger German/English

Tel.____ +49 (0) 21 73 / 399 37-14

Fax ___ +49 (0) 21 73 / 399 37-21

SKYPE Text: Name = set.berger

Mail: service AT set-zeise DOT de

Tony

Many thanks for this - dont know why this info didnt appear when I googled the company - will call them now.

Graham

Tony

Many thanks for this - dont know why this info didnt appear when I googled the company - will call them now.

Graham

Tony

Have just spoken to Mr Berger - very helpful chap - I am e mailing him today with the bits I need and he is going to see if he can supply them.

Thanks again

Graham

I'm guessing its a single cylinder Farymann diesel engine, coupled to Zeize 240v alternator, much the same as the one I have just replaced on my own boat, after 19yrs service. Parts are available from:-

Diesel Power

www.dieselpower.co E-mail. info@dieselpower.co.uk Tel. 02086480041.

Alternatively, I replaced the starter motor on my old Genny with one taken from an Audi Quattro taken from a local breakers yard. You will need to drill the threads out on the aluminium body of the starter, for the bolts to pass through & screw into the engine block.

Hope this helps............. It worked for me.

I'm guessing its a single cylinder Farymann diesel engine, coupled to Zeize 240v alternator, much the same as the one I have just replaced on my own boat, after 19yrs service. Parts are available from:-

Diesel Power

www.dieselpower.co E-mail. info@dieselpower.co.uk Tel. 02086480041.

Alternatively, I replaced the starter motor on my old Genny with one taken from an Audi Quattro taken from a local breakers yard. You will need to drill the threads out on the aluminium body of the starter, for the bolts to pass through & screw into the engine block.

Hope this helps............. It worked for me.

Hi Pugwash61 - sounds like my genny is the same as yours - many thanks for the dieselpower details - I did e mail Zeise - they have read my e mail but no response although I did talk to Mr Berger there and he said he would see if they had the parts. My genny is a 1993 model but has only run for 850 hours - have had lots of water leak problems and I think this has caused the starter motor to fail - having that rebuilt as I type but have noted the Audi replacement. Why did you replace your genny? - Graham

Hi Pugwash61 - sounds like my genny is the same as yours - many thanks for the dieselpower details - I did e mail Zeise - they have read my e mail but no response although I did talk to Mr Berger there and he said he would see if they had the parts. My genny is a 1993 model but has only run for 850 hours - have had lots of water leak problems and I think this has caused the starter motor to fail - having that rebuilt as I type but have noted the Audi replacement. Why did you replace your genny? - Graham

Hi Graham.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you. I replaced my generator after 19yrs of service, mainly due to same problem as you have experienced. Finding parts! The fuel shut off solenoid was the last straw, as the genny needed to be removed from the boat to get to it properly & I was quoted £1,000 to remove & re-install from a local boat yard. I decided that if I was going to spend that sort of cash, I may just as well replace the unit with a new one & take advantage of the warranty that would come with it. I now have a new unit, a Pageuro 5000 (5 Kva & 4.5 Kw) which is an Italian unit, still powered by the same Farymann diesel engine.

The old unit, (badged as a Lister Petter but has a Farymann engine & a Zeuise alternator) has now been fully overhauled by myself, at much expense, new lift pump, injector pump, injector, fuel filter & pipework & of course a new fuel shut off solenoid. I also had the head & cylinder barrel off & was surprised to see that the cylinder walls, still have the "cross hatching" machining marks evident. This after 19yrs hard labour !!!

This unit will be available on E-bay, when I get around to it, @ a starting price of £1,500 due to the amount I've spent on it & the fact that the new one stands me in £6,500. They really are lovely little units which I couldn't be without.

Hi Graham.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you. I replaced my generator after 19yrs of service, mainly due to same problem as you have experienced. Finding parts! The fuel shut off solenoid was the last straw, as the genny needed to be removed from the boat to get to it properly & I was quoted £1,000 to remove & re-install from a local boat yard. I decided that if I was going to spend that sort of cash, I may just as well replace the unit with a new one & take advantage of the warranty that would come with it. I now have a new unit, a Pageuro 5000 (5 Kva & 4.5 Kw) which is an Italian unit, still powered by the same Farymann diesel engine.

The old unit, (badged as a Lister Petter but has a Farymann engine & a Zeuise alternator) has now been fully overhauled by myself, at much expense, new lift pump, injector pump, injector, fuel filter & pipework & of course a new fuel shut off solenoid. I also had the head & cylinder barrel off & was surprised to see that the cylinder walls, still have the "cross hatching" machining marks evident. This after 19yrs hard labour !!!

This unit will be available on E-bay, when I get around to it, @ a starting price of £1,500 due to the amount I've spent on it & the fact that the new one stands me in £6,500. They really are lovely little units which I couldn't be without.

Thanks for the explanation - if I had to take mine out I think I would have to remove the boat engine 1st - lets hope mine goes on for a few more years yet. The bits from Germany arrived today so looks like this weekend is spoken for.