shower drain waste pump

owen

Featured Posts

I wish I had a gulper :(

The boat came with a sump/floatswitch/impellor pump setup.

Like Alan F, one day I'll get so fed up cleaning the filter and the 'goo' that builds up in the sump that I'll junk it!

Ah! That reminds me, a winter maintenance job I didn't get around to.

Only problem I have with ours is if it ever does go wrong is how to get to it.

I can't see any access hatch - I can hear it whirring and 'gulping' near the back wall of the bathroom - but as to where it is and how to get to it - gawd knows...

Winter maintenance job!

You can't have any of them there girls on board then......

It becomes weekly then <_<

Seconded. When my daughters and their friends came on trips with us it was a nightmare.

Only problem I have with ours is if it ever does go wrong is how to get to it.

I can't see any access hatch - I can hear it whirring and 'gulping' near the back wall of the bathroom - but as to where it is and how to get to it - gawd knows...

It's a Gulper. You won't need access.

I used one of those Johnson bilge pump switches (the proximity ones with no moving parts) to operate my gulper, mounted in a watertight box connected to the shower (and bathroom basin in my case) at one end and the pump at the other. when the bax fills with water the pump runs, when it's pumped it all away, the pump stops.

Lee

Guest wanted

Another Gulper fan, In fact, The rythum it makes acompanies whatever mental screensaver is whirling around by head in the morning!

I have found that boaters I speak to who use the Whale Gulper pumps say they are superb, and rarely need attention.

I would NOT recommend the type that look like a /tupperware sandwich box and have a small bilge pump and float switch inside. I bought one such shower pump out of ignorance and it is rubbish. I frequently have to clean the stupid thing out to avoid flooding. Never again.

Me too; I soon got tired of cleaning the filters on the flojet as well... Gulper everytime!

I have a Gulper too but I have a question; do people have some kind of non-return valve fitted inline to stop shower water running back into the shower ? Our always seems to back fill very slightly (we left with water in the plug hole level with the top of drain).

Thanks

Les

I have a Gulper too but I have a question; do people have some kind of non-return valve fitted inline to stop shower water running back into the shower ? Our always seems to back fill very slightly (we left with water in the plug hole level with the top of drain).

Thanks

Les

The pump has two non-return valves, either side of the diaphragm chamber. These are just flaps, and I suspect what is happening is that the outlet one is kept closed by the weight of water on the other side, whilst the small quantity of water left in the chamber is not sufficient to close the inlet valve. This therefore allows the water in the chamber to seep back out.

Thanks, I didnt fit this myself so didnt realise it had these 'flaps' built it. Mine is located on a shelf in the unit under the sink and is above the height of the shower tray, so I guess its the amount of water in the first pipe thats running back with gravity. If it was fitted below the shower tray level you wouldnt see this issue, no matter its not a big deal and I like the idea of having access to it.

Les

b*gg*r, I'd better retro fit the gulper we took out...

dont want to be out of line!!

but that said we have a system where the wash basins and shower all drain and it turns its self on and off automatically....

and has needed only a minor tweek by swmbo...

Try running it "dry" for a few minutes after showering...