Anyone Seen A Bigger Reduction On A Boat For Sale ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

That's only a 30% reduction.

When I bought my boat a couple of weeks ago, it was for 45% of the original asking price. Of course that was £750 reduced from £1,650, but in percentage terms it's a bigger drop.

I was speaking to the chap at Whilton marina yesteday about this boat. He said that the married couple who had the boat built for them were getting a divorse and needed the cash quite urgenty, hence the dramatic slash.

Rob

Sadly, that is not uncommon.

I've seen a few boats with one owner's name painted out.

Tone

I was speaking to the chap at Whilton marina yesteday about this boat. He said that the married couple who had the boat built for them were getting a divorse and needed the cash quite urgenty, hence the dramatic slash.

Rob

... Well, there's a really sad story there ... and only 110hrs on the Beta BV3800. A marriage that didn't even last an oil change.

Not surprised it was for sale at Whilton. I can't comment on that particular boat - it looks wonderful to me. But, when i was looking for my boat we started at Whilton and I think they hike the prices. We looked at a little boat that started at 15k and eventually had an offer accepted for 4 and a half k! We didn't buy it because it really needed a lot to make it lovely and didn't want the work. It always pays to make a cheeky offer. Someone did buy it, did nothing to it at all - just pootles around in it with his kids. By the way, the surveryor was the one that gave us the value.

We spotted this narrow boat (in the centre of the picture) at Festival Park Marina last winter. Allegedly, it had cost the owners £200k :blink: and was kitted out inside with solid oak cabin sides, roof and floor, not to mention £10k's worth of audio visual equipment. One of the Black Prince hire boat staff observed that the boat was top heavy when it was under way, owing to all of the heavy wood at high levels within the cabin.

Once again, the sad situation was, that shortly after taking ownership of the boat, the couple went their own separate ways. Only after the guy had reportedly tried to throttle the poor lady and was subsequently on remand awaiting trial.

I wonder how much the boat was eventually sold on for, in relation to its initial purchase price.

t56qab.jpg

Mike

Disclaimer: All of the information stated here was gleaned from an independent source and therefore, its accuracy could be questioned.

Edited by Doorman

We spotted this narrow boat (in the centre of the picture) at Festival Park Marina last winter. Allegedly, it had cost the owners £200k :blink: and was kitted out inside with solid oak cabin sides, roof and floor,

Belle Epoque is a DB Boats fit out...no need to worry about any solid wood making it top heavy.

Mid range fit out, top range price.

Belle Epoque is a DB Boats fit out...no need to worry about any solid wood making it top heavy.

Mid range fit out, top range price.

Agreed and quite often the case. But even with all of the solid oak lining, together with the 'all singing and dancing' TV gear, £200k for a narrow boat?

Mike

Not surprised it was for sale at Whilton. I can't comment on that particular boat - it looks wonderful to me. But, when i was looking for my boat we started at Whilton and I think they hike the prices. We looked at a little boat that started at 15k and eventually had an offer accepted for 4 and a half k! We didn't buy it because it really needed a lot to make it lovely and didn't want the work. It always pays to make a cheeky offer. Someone did buy it, did nothing to it at all - just pootles around in it with his kids. By the way, the surveryor was the one that gave us the value.

Thats interesting, we were walking round Whilton last Sunday and did Braunsten too. Prices at Whilton seemed to us to be very high for most boats esp one called "Grandpa's Lady" which has obviously been neglected. Overall we were put off the site by the sticker value of what we had seen. Didn't think much of the sales shop either. But the man in the Cafe was most helpful and had good food. there was a family also looking at the broadbeam to be taken down on the Thames, they seemed keen on it and listening to them, they were novices with less knowledge than even us!!

Braunsten which we had visited earlier seemed to have prices that were more realistic and we felt reflected the value (I appreciate its only worth what a customer will pay for it). I have to say when we popped into the shop the lady in there was most helpful/ Esp when we explained that we were newbies and probably no better than tyre kickers (see told you I don't know much :-) ) for the moment trying to feel our way in the market.

Jim

Edited by jim and pat dalton

Agreed and quite often the case. But even with all of the solid oak lining, together with the 'all singing and dancing' TV gear, £200k for a narrow boat?

Mike

It depends on how much you value a skilled joiner's work.

The difference in the number of man hours it takes to produce top quality woodwork, compared to the kitchen fitter's job, that the vast majority of narrowboats get, is huge.

If you are spending £100k on plywood and brad guns then how much is a proper fit out worth?

DB boats were a first class boat fitter who got out at the beginning of the recession.

Sue

Whatever.

It all depends on perspective.

If I said white was white my biggest fan would insist it was magnolia.

Edited by carlt

...Anyone seen a fairly conventional boat reduced by more than this ?

Yes, in terms of percentage. The price we eventually paid (after surveys, safety inspection, and haggling) represented a 60% drop from the original asking price. But it was, obviously, hugely and ridiculously overpriced in the first place.

We spotted this narrow boat (in the centre of the picture) at Festival Park Marina last winter. Allegedly, it had cost the owners £200k :blink: and was kitted out inside with solid oak cabin sides, roof and floor, not to mention £10k's worth of audio visual equipment. One of the Black Prince hire boat staff observed that the boat was top heavy when it was under way, owing to all of the heavy wood at high levels within the cabin.

Once again, the sad situation was, that shortly after taking ownership of the boat, the couple went their own separate ways. Only after the guy had reportedly tried to throttle the poor lady and was subsequently on remand awaiting trial.

I wonder how much the boat was eventually sold on for, in relation to its initial purchase price.

t56qab.jpg

Mike

Disclaimer: All of the information stated here was gleaned from an independent source and therefore, its accuracy could be questioned.

Hmm Looks like Summat Special

http://www.heartwoodnarrowboats.co.uk/Gallery_Summat_Special.htm

We went on it Crick last year. We were warned it was a bit top heavy but its what the cusotomer insisted on.

I'll go with Quebec..

If you "over price" something, or overspecify average - it is still only worth what some one will pay on a given day.. and currently that day is some what less than they paid for it new...

In my mind the price looks well over 50% up on what you would expect to see such craft for sale at..

but each to their own!