Tug Decks

jonk

Featured Posts

Going on from the thread about bed options on a narrowboat.

It would seem that the advantages of a tug deck are that it gives a large place to store stuff and/or sit out? For that you lose the equivalent length of interior space plus well deck. Am I correct with this conclusion?

The appearance of a tug deck is 'in the eye of the beholder' personally I don't care for it, especially if littered with junk! :lol:

We haven't put our bed under ours, though the kids have slept there a few times.

Personally I wouldn't want anything other than a tug deck. As you say, loads of room to sit out/party/BBQ/whatever, also very easy to get on and off, especially if you have visitors who are less able bodied, good area for the dog, and yes you lose cabin space full height, but it gives a wealth of options for use.

We have under ours: water tank (huge!) calorifier, pump etc, leccy cupboard, storage cupboards, large dog bed, shelves, washing machine, and there is still plenty of useable space....but the dog loves it under there when the stove gets too hot for her to sit on the sofa!!! :P

Sleepy Hollow has an 11 foot deck, with a 2 foot coal hold, large water tank taking up 3 feet and then room for a full size double bed, although that isn't the main bed, just for guests.., how else could you get 2 full size permanent beds, ready made up without using loads of internal space?

Casp'

A tug deck gives one the advantages of a cruiser stern (nice outside area for relaxing etc) but without the continual water leaks and sheer ugliness.

<flak jacket ready>

Agree entirely! And I would refer the OP back to my post in the other thread, in which I mention at least four significant advantages (large bed, freeing up space elsewhere, easy stepping on and off, aesthetically pleasing), which he appears to have chosen to ignore completely.

• Greenie 1

A tug deck gives one the advantages of a cruiser stern (nice outside area for relaxing etc) but without the continual water leaks and sheer ugliness.

<flak jacket ready>

Are you saying that a tug deck looks like a cruiser going in reverse? :lol:

Agree entirely! And I would refer the OP back to my post in the other thread, in which I mention at least four significant advantages (large bed, freeing up space elsewhere, easy stepping on and off, aesthetically pleasing), which he appears to have chosen to ignore completely.

I did not ignore them :rolleyes: Large bed can be inside without a tug deck - you just raise the tug deck to ceiling height! It doesn't free up any space at all as far as I can see. Easy stepping on and off - possibly but that depends upon the relative levels of bank and deck I would think, rather a drastic way of gaining little advantage isn't it? Aesthetically pleasing - see my post - not for me! So you see I read them but couldn't see any sense in them :lol:

Are you saying that a tug deck looks like a cruiser going in reverse? :lol:

I did not ignore them :rolleyes: Large bed can be inside without a tug deck - you just raise the tug deck to ceiling height! It doesn't free up any space at all as far as I can see. Easy stepping on and off - possibly but that depends upon the relative levels of bank and deck I would think, rather a drastic way of gaining little advantage isn't it? Aesthetically pleasing - see my post - not for me! So you see I read them but couldn't see any sense in them :lol:

So you've already made up your mind; you just don't like them. Fine, but then why bother asking the question (twice)?

Edited by Chertsey
  • Greenie 3

how else could you get 2 full size permanent beds, ready made up without using loads of internal space?

Casp'

We manage to get 2 doubles, and 2 single dinettes in a 50 foot narrow boat without problems.

Cheers,

Mike

So you've already made up your mind; you just don't like them. Fine, but then why bother asking the question (twice)?

If you read the posts you will see that I asked if there are any advantages! I don't particularly like the appearance but that does NOT mean that I cannot be convinced that they are a good idea. What do you mean twice? If you read the posts this one stemmed from the discussion on beds, where the question of beds under the tug deck came up so I stated that I would start a separate topic rather than drift the bed thread too far off topic. That I have done!

You obviously like tug decks and that is fine by me (no need to get upset about it) - I just am still not convinced that they have any advantage over a full height cabin - but I am open to being convinced.

:cheers:

John

Thats the conclusion I came to so did not respond to the OP, well said Chertsey

Charles

See reply to Chertsey

But can you leave them made up?

Under the tug deck it can be emperor size....

But if the roof is raised to ceiling height the bed is still in the same position and made up, it has now just got more space over it and even allows the emperor to sit up in bed without hitting his crown!

How often do you, as a tug owner, go tugging?

Having a tug style boat is a bit like having pretend rivets. Totally unnecessary and impractical. It's all just for show.

(Dons coat, scarf, plimsolls... and runs off down towpath like feck.)

(Edited for missing b racket)

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

But if the roof is raised to ceiling height the bed is still in the same position and made up, it has now just got more space over it and even allows the emperor to sit up in bed without hitting his crown!

Only now, you have to walk over the bed to get out the front doors and the bed is in the lounge in full view..

Casp'

Only now, you have to walk over the bed to get out the front doors and the bed is in the lounge in full view..

Casp'

Ah!! True! Thank you - perhaps there can be an advantage after all :lol:

How often do you, as a tug owner, go tugging?

Having a tug style boat is a bit like having pretend rivets. Totally unnecessary and impractical. It's all just for show.

(Dons coat, scarf, plimsolls... and runs off down towpath like feck.)

(Edited for missing b racket)

Tone

Wrong. It's for convenience, comfort and practicality. The pleasing appearance is a bonus.

Slightly off topic, but connected - why are these tug decks called tugs in the first place? The tugs that I am familiar with have a cabin at the front and a large area at the rear with towing bollards, hawsers etc on that work deck. They are used for towing and guiding ships. How does that relate to a narrowboat with a large front area with no towing bollards, or were they used in some other fashion? The answer is probably obvious, what is it?

Slightly off topic, but connected - why are these tug decks called tugs in the first place? The tugs that I am familiar with have a cabin at the front and a large area at the rear with towing bollards, hawsers etc on that work deck. They are used for towing and guiding ships. How does that relate to a narrowboat with a large front area with no towing bollards, or were they used in some other fashion? The answer is probably obvious, what is it?

NEXT

Charles

Phone a friend

Charles

Don't you know the answer, I thought that you have a tug style? Or are you just being obtuse?

Is it not a perfectly sensible question - I know why a cruiser is a cruiser, a trad is a trad and a semi-trad is just that - but why is a tug a tug? Google doesn't seem to have an answer that I can find as yet.

Phoning a friend is hardly going to help here in South Africa :banghead:

John