Pics: 62 ft narrowboat "tug" build

charles123

Featured Posts

This hull looks rather nice, who was the builder ?

Peter.

I don't know, but I'd want a very much longer rear swim for the kind of money I feel sure it must have cost.

It seems a fortune gets spent these days faking the bits one can see above the waterline to look like an old boat, but far less effort goes into the bits that actually come into play when you are trying to boat in them.

Whilst the steelwork undoubtedly looks very well executed, I really can't get my head around the logic if putting indented panelling on a steel cabin to give it a wooden cabin like appearance, but then faking rivet heads into panels that would on an old boat have been wooden. ..... If that was what was intended, or course!

That looks great, I'll be looking forward to seeing it's progress as it is similar to my own, i'll get those pictures of my engine and stern gear installation ASAP

Don't listen to the naysayers, it's your boat, you can have rivets, recessed panels, strakes etc put wherever you want them. I think it looks great BTW. Oh, keep it grey, black and white, looks good on a tug IMO :D

Paul

That looks great, I'll be looking forward to seeing it's progress as it is similar to my own, i'll get those pictures of my engine and stern gear installation ASAP

Don't listen to the naysayers, it's your boat, you can have rivets, recessed panels, strakes etc put wherever you want them. I think it looks great BTW. Oh, keep it grey, black and white, looks good on a tug IMO :D

Paul

The colours will be grey forward of the last recessed panel, olive green panels then cream coach line and black framing. Front roof from beam forward grey and decks, gunells and rear roof in Chestnut (the nearest to oxide red I can find). All livery will be white lettering

Charles

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

I have posted this under blog as that seemed appropriate however it wont be a very wordy topic but I will post photos from time to time

More to follow

2010_0911SHARM20013.jpg

Charles

That chimney looks abit tall for some bridges :P

Alex

• 2 months later...

LaunchJune2011013.jpg

I've got a feeling that those BT grilles won't last long Charles. Anything which protrudes is bound to get knocked off, plus a grille like that will restrict flow and make your BT less efficient. Look at how much of the tunnel's cross sectional area the grille obstructs - you're probably approaching losing half the area to the mesh of the grille.

LaunchJune2011015.jpg

Since you have a weed hatch for your thruster you don't need to worry too much about stuff getting sucked in, especially if you're only using it sparingly.

I think you're better off getting rid of them and having 3 or 4 x 6mm bars welded across level with (or just inside) the tunnel opening. When you come to service the BT or fit a new prop you're in drydock anyway so you just angle grind the bars off and get new ones rewelded on. Either that or have grilles fitted, but just inside the tunnel.

Edited by blackrose

I also spotted Charles moored at I think it was the Salt Barge?

Didn't recognise the boat until Charles shouted a greeting and didn't have time to stop unfortunately.

One thing I did notice about the boat was the "scum line" a good few inches above the water line which makes me think that when you're under way the back end digs in a fair bit!

One thing I did notice about the boat was the "scum line" a good few inches above the water line which makes me think that when you're under way the back end digs in a fair bit!

Perhaps he's been doing a Phylis ;)

Tony

• 5 months later...