Holiday at mercia Marina

Priceless Parrots

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Although not new to the canal holiday, I was wondering if any of you could answer a couple of questions for me.

I am planning on our annual boating holiday which will start at Mercia Marina on the Trent and Mersey Canal. We have a week to go wherever on our holiday.

1. Is it possible for us to get as far as Alton Towers and back in a week?

2. Not knowing this canal very well can anyone point me to any places to visit on our weeks adventure.

We have cruised for 3 years in the past each year taking a weeks holiday on the boat. The cruising isnt an issue and i find it very enjoyable.

I have been asked by the boss to see if it is possible to do Alton Towers from Mercia. It would give us something to look forward to. If its not possible then a few stop offs may be in order but not knowing the area I was thinking that someone may point us in the right direction for places to visit.

Thankyou :captain:

Paul

Hello all,

Although not new to the canal holiday, I was wondering if any of you could answer a couple of questions for me.

I am planning on our annual boating holiday which will start at Mercia Marina on the Trent and Mersey Canal. We have a week to go wherever on our holiday.

1. Is it possible for us to get as far as Alton Towers and back in a week?

2. Not knowing this canal very well can anyone point me to any places to visit on our weeks adventure.

We have cruised for 3 years in the past each year taking a weeks holiday on the boat. The cruising isnt an issue and i find it very enjoyable.

I have been asked by the boss to see if it is possible to do Alton Towers from Mercia. It would give us something to look forward to. If its not possible then a few stop offs may be in order but not knowing the area I was thinking that someone may point us in the right direction for places to visit.

Thankyou :captain:

Paul

I would have thought it possible to get within striking distance of Alton Towers yes.

Bear in mind though you will lose much of a cruising day spent in the park itself so I think you will have to 'press on' to a degree and maximise your daylight hours.

We headed in that general direction last October though didn't get that far.

If you are interested there is a bit of info. and a few pics in our blog-

Here

Out of interest who have you booked with Aqua Narrowboats or Shakespeare Classic?

Edited by MJG

is stoke closest to alton?

If it is I used canal planner and at an average of 8 hours per day, it will take 4 days, possibly three depending on what time you pick the hire boat up

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stoke is closest as far as I know. That is why I qualified my post with 'within striking distance'. As if they don't get that far the OP could opt to get a taxi or other public transport to do the last bit to Alton Towers.

We did Mercia to Great Heywood and back (as per my blog) very easily in a week turning half way.

We in no way maximised cruising or daylight hours. Sometimes I find Canal Planner is conservative if a boater and it's crew is willing to 'push on' - not speeding you understand, just eat and drink on the go and not faff about at the locks.

Stoke is closest as far as I know. That is why I qualified my post with 'within striking distance'. As if they don't get that far the OP could opt to get a taxi or other public transport to do the last bit to Alton Towers.

We did Mercia to Great Heywood and back (as per my blog) very easily in a week turning half way.

We in no way maximised cruising or daylight hours. Sometimes I find Canal Planner is conservative if a boater and it's crew is willing to 'push on' - not speeding you understand, just eat and drink on the go and not faff about at the locks.

I agree about conservative bit, Canal planner usually supposes 3 miles per hour and possibly longer lock waiting times

Alton Towers is difficult to get to from the waterways. The closest place to it would probably be Froghall at the end of the Caldon, but this is not possible for you in a week from Mercia. If you want to go, I would suggest you look at the Alton Towers shuttle bus service.

http://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/how-to-find-us/public-transport/

This runs from Uttoxeter, but again not an easy place to get to. You may be able to get a bus to Uttoxeter from Burton or Kings Bromley area. If you are using a day out of your week to go, then Stoke is probably pushing it.

Drayton Manor should be "do-able" in a week and right alongside the canal near Fazely.

I know that it's a lot smaller than Alton Towers and can't recommend it as I haven't been to either site - I feel queasy just looking at a roller coaster :sick: . Might be worth a thought though.

If you get a shift on, Mercia to Fradley Jn is do-able in a day, Great Haywood in a day and a half. If you want to make a proper trip out of it, go to Alton Towers via Froghall basin. You'll need to check your hire boat fits down there though!

Stoke to Froghall is at least a full day (the Caldon is very shallow and any sort of progress can be difficult at times)and most hire companies are none too keen on their boats going through Froghall Tunnel. Might be a slightly more realistic option to go to the end of the canal at Leek and get a bus from there. But I have to agree with other posters that it might be less stressful to go by car at the end of your holiday

Edited by Idunhoe