fishing

Featured Posts

Everyone has a right to be on the towpath...

It's like when fisherman dont get their rods out the way of the boat (specially when two boats pass it seems) but always get pissed off when they end up with athe wire round the prop!

As I was walking along the K&A the other day I noticed a lot of people fishing. I guess that there was some kind of event on. I am a sea fisher and fly-fisher and so I know what coarse fishing is but never actually seen anybody catch anything. However, these guys were catching quite a lot. I was amazed to see that the fish they were catching (on their many-hundreds-of-pounds-worth of rods and tackle) were no bigger than a [very small] fishfinger! I must say that I can't see the point. To me, fishing is great when you go out with a minimum of equipment, catch some nice tasty trout, salmon, etc, and then head home to barbecue them or roast or whatever takes your fancy and have a delicious meal. It seems a bit pitiful to spend all day catching these poor little tiny piddlers only to chuck them all back at the end of the day.

Still, each to their own...

They normally have only 5 hours in a coarse fishing match so instead of concentrating on the bigger specimens, which they will only catch one or two of, if at all, they concentrate on the thousands of little roach, perch and gudgeon. These fish maybe small but 50 or so soon knocks the weight up.

I was once fishing a lake in Cheshire (yes, I fish aswell) and I caught a very nice Tench on a £15 rod and a few other bits and bobs sat on me ass. Two men next to me with well over a grands worth of kit didn't catch a thing. Just goes to show ya hey!

It's like when fisherman dont get their rods out the way of the boat (specially when two boats pass it seems) but always get pissed off when they end up with athe wire round the prop!

The poles fisherman use cost around £1k, and some of them cost £1.5K - You'd think, because they cost that much they'd becareful where they stuck them. Obviously not.

One guy thought he'd be smart and try and put the rod in the water so the boat would go over his line. I was, at the time, towing a boat and he seemed shocked at first, and then p*ssed off because he was tangled up. I got told that I shouldn't be "tied together like that" and he also made a point of telling me that his rod license cost him £50 or something, so I made a point of telling him that my boats license cost £500. I think the conversation ended with something like "oh fubb off"

yeah, once when i was up on deck lowing the funnel i got this whacking great hook yanked though the end of my boilersuits sleave, only missed my hand by about an inch, and then the fisherman started having a god saying things like "what the bloodyell are you doing on the roof anyway"

- the number of people that moan when the have to lift there rod a fot higher than normal to clear out funnel, Ahhhhh!!

Most fishermen are plesant tho, its just the odd few that have to go and spoil it.

Daniel

Let's destroy this myth. No One has the Legal Right to be on the towpath without the consent of the Navigation Authority. Boat owners and their crews secure the right when they purchase a licence. Boat Hirers have the right under tranfered consent. Fishermen who belong to a club with fishing agreements have the right, Cyclists have the right if they have obtained a cycling licence (now free on many waterways). Walkers have the right where permitted access has been agreed between the Local Highway (footpaths) Authority and the Navigation Authority (BW used to issue towpath walking licences until quite recently but they became more expensive to administer than the revenue collected so they were dropped) As far as I am aware, All these rights, except those associated with Boat licences can be withdrawn by the Navigation Authority, without notice, or reason, although the Highway Authority may contest closure to walkers and/or cyclists if funding has been provided by them to "improve" the towpath.

david....david....dear david....

us boaters pay £500/nay £600 and odd quid a year....so therefore they should all yeild to our prowess on the cut :P

I think that is what I was implying, Boaters are the only people who have a legal right to use the towpath.

How did the fishermen get on in days of old when the horses used pull the boats along the towpath?

There were no fishermen during the working days of the canals, towpaths were regarded very much as private property which indeed they were. The canal companies would regularly prosecute trespassers and in those early days deportation was a common penalty for such offences.

The good old days!

Edited by John Orentas

. . . deportation was a common penalty for such offences.

The good old days!

Totally agree with that, nothing like a little deportation for those pesky fishermen!

I cannot understand even after trying a little sea fishing (i know coarse fishing is slighty different) but wheres the enjoyment, the challenge and the sport? Worse of all i've seen fishermen put maggots in thier mouths! Why not have a proper breakfast or purchase a lunch before starting out.

I saw the expression "Linear Water Park" used the other day to describe a canal.

I forget which waterway it was now, but they were promoting the canals for walkers, fisher persons, cyclists as well as boaters etc.

While we are on the subject, contrary to popular belief, canoeists have to be members of the British Canoe Union to use BW navigations in their unpowered craft and this involves a yearly membership fee. The BCU then pay a yearly contribution to BW.

I have never seen fisher persons catch any large fish on the cut, but I know they are there as I have seen some absolutely huge fish floating on the top. This has included eels and pike. One day, I had to stop my wife stroking the head of a cute pike that was sunning itself in some shallows. Once I explained that it is usually a hospital job to remove their teeth from your hand, she re-thought the situation.

John caught a 12lb pike in the canal which I cleaned & cooked which he said was delicious but found out later although he has a licence he faced a £1000 fine removing the predator from the canal

Whilst out last weekend we saw a heron catch an eel. It was getting on for two feet long, and this heron had quite a struggle to get it down. The eel was still wriggling furiously when it had half disappeared down the heron's throat. Must be quite a wierd sensation!

That's because you did it right Richard. You slowed down, smiled, said good morning/afternoon and passed some comment on the good/mediocre/b****y awful weather and didn't ask silly questions about the number/size of fish caught. Most anglers will treat you well if you do the same for them. Just ignore the others.

That's because you did it right Richard. You slowed down, smiled, said good morning/afternoon and passed some comment on the good/mediocre/b****y awful weather and didn't ask silly questions about the number/size of fish caught. Most anglers will treat you well if you do the same for them. Just ignore the others.

Yes Paul

I did slow down to tick over when passing and said sorry, to every one of them.

I was expecting a bit of bother when i passed a competition, with about 50 in a line but as i went down the line i noticed a organiser was walking down just behind me, but everyone was quite alright and said it was ok.