A boat for me ?

Joss

Featured Posts

Hi Everone , I've been look at narrow boats for a year or maybe more now , and i've done some work with a canal trust on a strech of water way , But now i need some help ?

I want my own boat ?

I'm on my own but i will have a friend come a stop with me

i would like to have one of my motorbikes with me

I'm and Engineer

I don't have any animals , but i wouldn't mind 2 or 3 chickens

What would you say i should look for ?

Ask more questions if you think you can help ? because i will be asking some as well .

and i would like to live in my native Lincolnshire .

Thanks Joss

I'd get a tug-style foredeck - give you loads of space for a bike and some chicken coops. I don't think there's any problem letting them graze on the towpath.

Unless you need to go on some of the more northern canals with shorter locks, I'd go for the full 70' so you have plenty of inside living space as well as the fore deck. You can maximise interior space with a trad stern - but you might prefer a cruiser if you often have someone with you when cruising. You don't lose a whole lot of living space with a cruiser or semi-trad - just some useful storage space in the engine compartment.

Reverse layout would mean you slept next to the chickens, which might be wise for dealing with foxes. It's also nicer when cruising because you can ask rather than yell for a cup of tea/toilet break. You can't really do reverse layout in a trad though. Well, you can - but it doesn't work as well.

If you're buying second-hand and you're not intending to refit, then you may have to settle for the best layout you can find with the other requirements met. It's worth looking out for boats that need a bit of work, as long as the price is right. If you have very specific ideas about what you want inside, look for boats with nice fitting but not much expensive woodwork (ie open plan), and then you won't be sinking money into things that you intend to get rid of.

Hi and welcome!

If you are wanting to live on a boat, with chickens and a motorbike, perhaps look for a 'tug' style narrowboat, as the bow will more easily accomodate the bike. A private mooring with a small patch of land perhaps at the side, for chickens? Few and far between but worth a look....

..that's where I'd start.

Are you looking to buy a finished boat or one to fit yourself?

Hopefully you'll get some helpful responses.

I believe there is a previous thread about bikes on boats...try the search facility, or someone else may find and link it for you!

Good luck :cheers:

Thanks guys . The boat will have to be second hand and i don't mind doing work on it as long as its not a full rebuild as i want to live on it as well as do the work on it . i've looked at tug style.

I know a bloke with an ex-Black Prince cruiser stern boat, he has modified the hull side to a hinged door at the front into the well deck. He keeps a Harley Davison on the deck, mind you he can't really use the front cabin doors for access, 'cos there's a bloody great bike in the way. <_<

I know a bloke with an ex-Black Prince cruiser stern boat, he has modified the hull side to a hinged door at the front into the well deck. He keeps a Harley Davison on the deck, mind you he can't really use the front cabin doors for access, 'cos there's a bloody great bike in the way. <_<

does this guy do knife sharpening ? i was down stockton locks about a month ago and was chatting to a guy who had a harley on his boat and he did knife sharpening ?