Joshua

Featured Posts

Add a new user to your list

Member's Name: mayalld

Ignore Personal Conversations

Ignore Posts

Tone

Ah yes, the classic Usenet "plonk".

One would imagine that somebody who had been around from the Usenet days would recall that the general consensus was that grandstanding the fact that you had killfiled somebody was frowned upon, and those who did it regarded as plonkers.

In truth, those who announce that they are killfiling somebody seldom actually do so, because they are so full of their own self importance that they can't resist looking to see if they are being talked about.

• Greenie 1

:smiley_offtopic:

If it's the stretch I'm thinking of, I don't think these these are approved moorings, or that the boats that supposedly use then actually exist. Paint is cheap!

Iain

Yes, you could be right Iain. If that's the case then BW must be ignoring the fact that their name is being taken in vain.

Tony

Edited by Midnight Rider

Well....its not an ideal world..is it...?

I always try and consider others...but..

There were permanantly moored boats on the Regents canal visitor mooring...so I couldn't enjoy the area....

People were moored and running power leads...and fitting out boats...

Whereever I went...there were permanant moorers on visitor sites...so I couldn't enjoy various villages and towns etc...

On the basis that I think I would like to moor for a few days and enjoy places...and in probably 4 out of 10 places...we were blocked by 'continuous cruisers'..on visitor moorings with an attitude problem...I would like to see scathing fines and boats crushed...!!..

Maybe people dragged out and burned at the stake...or...a hanging or two...

Its not really fair though..is it ?

Its for all to enjoy...and for all to be fair...but then..people are not fair are they..?

Bob

Well....its not an ideal world..is it...?

I always try and consider others...but..

On the basis that I think I would like to moor for a few days and enjoy places...and in probably 4 out of 10 places...we were blocked by 'continuous cruisers'..on visitor moorings with an attitude problem...I would like to see scathing fines and boats crushed...!!..

Maybe people dragged out and burned at the stake...or...a hanging or two...

Bob

Right, here we go again. I realise you are using 'scare quotes', but continuous cruisers have as much right to be on those visitors moorings for up to two weeks (if that's the type of moorings they are) as anyone else. I think the technical term you are looking for is 'plonkers who don't cruise at all'.

Right, here we go again. I realise you are using 'scare quotes', but continuous cruisers have as much right to be on those visitors moorings for up to two weeks (if that's the type of moorings they are) as anyone else. I think the technical term you are looking for is 'plonkers who don't cruise at all'.

There are difficulties with that.

It is simply not possible to discuss this issue without upsetting people and historically some people fly off the handle without thinking through what they are reading. To paraphrase you get exchanges like this....

"I don't want to complain about the genuine continuous cruisers I would like to do it myself but this bloke has not moved off the water point for 6 months".

Reply:

"Why are you always moaning about continuous cruisers you should get a life and live and let live".

"I really envy continuous cruisers and would like to do it myself one day but round my way there are lots of boaters who waste the oppertunity to see the system and live full time on visitor moorings".

Reply:

"Why don't you take your spite and go home, if you don't have the guts to CC don't blame those who do, I am fed up with people wanting to ban CCing, burn my boat and rape my wife."

It is almost impossible to raise eyebrows at the bloke who lives on a 48 hour mooring and moves for 2 hours once a week for water and pump out with out being labeled as a CC hating fascist.

• Greenie 2

'Visitor Moorings' in the vicinity of Marinas tend to be full each weekend of folk who have turned out of the Marina and tied up. They tend to have their favourite spot and are miffed if they are not early enough to get it. It is part of the fun of boating. If it were not for the marinas there would be few places free to moor on the towpaths! It is just a shame that Marinas are such a lucrative business expensive to boaters.

I know quite a few people who have a paid mooring but rarely use it; Their choice partly so they cannot be accused of being 'free loaders'?

........................It is almost impossible to raise eyebrows at the bloke who lives on a 48 hour mooring and moves for 2 hours once a week for water and pump out with out being labeled as a CC hating fascist.

Is that true, do genuine Ccers support people who do this and if so why, the type of boater you describe is not actually Ccing so shouldn’t presumably be called a Ccer?

Are the people you describe simply ‘boaters’ abusing the system?

I would have imagined that only other lawless boaters would rally to defend such behaviour.

Which brings me back to the reason I asked the OP question in the first place.

I am concerned about embarking on a way of life that is not only perfectly legal but also, as far as I can tell, perfectly normal in that it only differs from any other boat movement in terms of its duration and yet it carries a label (Ccing) under which just about every act of poor canalmanship seems to be attached.

Would, for example, I avoid being reviled if I get myself a permanent mooring (presumably my licence would then display me as a moorer?) then just set off on a long weekend navigation that takes say 10 years to complete?

If I did that and then behaved badly would people say ‘bloody moorer!’ ?

Joshua

Would, for example, I avoid being reviled if I get myself a permanent mooring (presumably my licence would then display me as a moorer?) then just set off on a long weekend navigation that takes say 10 years to complete?

Joshua[/font][/size]

They'd probably still be jealous and bitter, if they are that way inclined.

Lets not forget that those who complain about others on the waterways, particularly those who think CCers should pay more, are in the minority. The vast majority of boaters, whether they have moorings or not, are only interested in enjoying their boating, and letting others do the same.

It is only the bitter few who revile other boaters, out of habit.

Tone

Lets not forget that those who complain about others on the waterways, particularly those who think CCers should pay more, are in the minority. The vast majority of boaters, whether they have moorings or not, are only interested in enjoying their boating, and letting others do the same.

Tone

I take it that you have never had a problem or issue with another boat owner or their behaviour?

I normally stay away from this debate - I came to the conclusion long ago that it does not matter what position you take - you will upset somebody. I don't think you should let that worry you - if you want to cruise continuously, looking forward to all the pleasure that will give you and making preparations do deal with the inevitable difficulties, go ahead and don't worry what others say. There is no need for you to get a permanent mooring - unless it is a BW mooring there is nothing to indicate that you have one.

As you say somebody, who lives on a 48 hour mooring and moves for 2 hours once a week for water and pump out, is just abusing the system. That is pretty obvious and we all know that BW can take action to alleviate the abuse. The problem comes when some of us suggest ways of stopping the abuse. Those ways always seem to affect a much wider group of people, some of whom will object vociferously and some even justifiably. It's all about where individuals believe the boundaries should be drawn. After a while, you will get a good idea of the range of boundaries. My advice is to stay well away from the boundaries - then you won't get shot at!

Tone

Tony, of course, is not bitter about anything, and has never indulged in bitter mutterings about the club or society that he just fell out of love with (NABO, SoW, NBW). Bitter old man? No, not our Tone!

In answer to the question, I'm not sure that real CCers do make common cause with the cheats. I am sure that the cheats make every effort to ensure that they brand anybody who criticises them as being against CCers and wanting to ban them.

• Greenie 1

Is that true, do genuine Ccers support people who do this and if so why, the type of boater you describe is not actually Ccing so shouldn’t presumably be called a Ccer?

Are the people you describe simply ‘boaters’ abusing the system?

I would have imagined that only other lawless boaters would rally to defend such behaviour.

Which brings me back to the reason I asked the OP question in the first place.

I am concerned about embarking on a way of life that is not only perfectly legal but also, as far as I can tell, perfectly normal in that it only differs from any other boat movement in terms of its duration and yet it carries a label (Ccing) under which just about every act of poor canalmanship seems to be attached.

Joshua

Is that true? Yes, IN MY EXPERIENCE.

I am not suggesting that anyone is defending their behaviour, what seems to happen is that I write...

"There is a 48 hour mooring near me which cannot be used because the same 3 boats are there 24/7 in residence".

And some others read....

"There are 3 continuous cruisers near me and I hate them, I want them to burn and die yea even unto the last generation of their seed".

It may be that those who throw the accusations of CC hate are to stupid to read what is written or it could be that they are just trying to blind the issue and call all CCers into their camp. You choose.

In answer to the question, I'm not sure that real CCers do make common cause with the cheats. I am sure that the cheats make every effort to ensure that they brand anybody who criticises them as being against CCers and wanting to ban them.

Like that.

I have never, ever met a boater who dislikes CCers and many many who envy them their freedom of the waterway.

I have met many who dislike "pretending to CC" boaters.

Now who would have a vested interest in insisting the latter group hate CCing in all its forms?

• Greenie 1

Never.

It was a genuine and honest question Tone.

Then I will accept it in the spirit asked.

Of course I have had problems and issues with other boaters. I will defend my position or opinions in honest debate. I am opinionated. I am aware of that. It is not always such a bad thing to hold opinions that differ from those of others. But I don't tar entire groups of boaters with the same brush, if you'll pardon the cliche, as do some on here.

On topic, there are good and bad CCers, and good and bad non CCers. Fortunately there are a lot more good than bad in both camps. It's just the bad ones who seem to be more vociferous here or noticeable on the cut, even in some cases resorting to personal attacks to try to make their point. I can now see the futility of this, and have now decided to ignore them instead of retaliating on their level, which just escalates their venom.

''ad hominem' as was quite rightly pointed out to me on another site.

http://plover.net/~bonds/adhominem.html

New Year's Resolution. It's still holding.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

<snip>

It's just the bad ones who seem to be more vociferous here or noticeable on the cut, even in some cases resorting to personal attacks to try to make their point.

<snip>

Tone

I guess the bad non CCers are more visible than the good ones. They'll tend to be stuck in one spot for a long time whereas the good ones will be long gone

Richard