Goliath

MtB

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Goliath said:

How does a Perkins rate in the scale of 'proper' engines?

I am rapidly warming to the Perkins 3HD46, but the Perkins P3.144 I had in the large Woolwich motor BADSEY was nasty - but it was absolutely knackered and was subsequently replaced by a Perkins P3.152 seven years after I sold up and then its original National 2DM in about 2005 :captain:

edit = from what I can see the Perkins 3HD46 has similar characteristics to a Lister HR3, apart from being water cooled of course. 

Edited by pete harrison

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

I am rapidly warming to the 3HD46, but the P3.144 I had in the large Woolwich motor BADSEY was nasty - but it was absolutely knackered :captain:

Hi Pete, I remember reading somewhere you had a list of Harland and Wolff built boats, would you know anything of the H&W GOLIATH built in 1903?

Just now, Goliath said:

Four out of five is good. 

Will any send up those lovely smoke rings? Like Reginald used to. 

Sadly no. 

Unless Richard's rebuild of the Gleniffer turns out to still burn oil!

(Which paradoxically would be rather cool, as I too liked the smoke rings.)

2 minutes ago, the yard said:

Hi Pete, I remember reading somewhere you had a list of Harland and Wolff built boats, would you know anything of the H&W GOLIATH built in 1903?

The list I have relates to the craft they built for use on the inland waterways only, so no I am afraid I have no details of the GOLIATH that interests you :captain:

Ive always believed Goliath to be a Bantock. I knew its previous owner who had purchased it from David Bough or as commonly known Boffy.

Photo taken earlier this year at Trentham

Steve

IMG_0916.JPG

Edited by Split Pin

14 minutes ago, Split Pin said:

Ive always believed Goliath to be a Bantock. I knew its previous owner who had purchased it from David Bough or as commonly known Boffy.

Photo taken earlier this year at Trentham

Steve

IMG_0916.JPG

Yep, that's my boat. But the photo would have been taken last Autumn. 

So, you knew the Vicar?

Hi Glenn

Yes I know Micheal. He kept the boat at Stourbridge, and is a member of the Staffs & Worcs canal society, both of which I am associated with.

Interestingly my brother had tried to purchase Golitah but Michael had beaten him to it.

Had I checked the EXIF info for the photo and not relied on memory I would have got the time correct. It was taken on 21 September last year at 9.42am

Steve

21 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I am rapidly warming to the Perkins 3HD46, but the Perkins P3.144 I had in the large Woolwich motor BADSEY was nasty - but it was absolutely knackered and was subsequently replaced by a Perkins P3.152 seven years after I sold up and then its original National 2DM in about 2005 :captain:

edit = from what I can see the Perkins 3HD46 has similar characteristics to a Lister HR3, apart from being water cooled of course. 

Thats interesting as I have a P4 in one of my boats. Ex admiralty with cast iron pistons. Its a nice unit.

I think Otley has a 3HD46 in it. Itd still on apolloduck but you mentioned it had been sold and you are running out of hints.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think Otley has a 3HD46 in it. Itd still on apolloduck but you mentioned it had been sold and you are running out of hints.

I am in contact with many boat owners, and I actively pursue the sale of 'historic' boats in order to maintain my records. OTLEY does have a Perkins 3HD46, a detail I got from its owner shortly after it was fitted.

I have known OTLEY since I was 8 years old, and as it was consistently one of the smartest boats in Birmingham I have always had a 'soft spot' for it :captain:

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:45, alan_fincher said:

Depends to some degree which Perkins.

Quite a few ex working boats have had or still have the Perkins P3 or D3 which is a perfectly respectable narrow boat engine, to the extent that loaded motor butty pairs have worked with them.  Adequate grunt with right gearbox / prop combination

In a recent thread someone rubbished them, but our old BCN boat that we had in the 1970s, (a very crude 40 foot Bantock conversion) had a P3.  A poor match to the boat (too big, and not enough room to swing a suitable prop, but reliable enough, and typical 3 cylinder sound).  I would still prefer a Lister H series of some description though!

By the way, Mike doesn't generally go for anything that most people will have heard of, so his views on engines are not typical (!)

Perkins P3 on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/perkins-P3-boat-engine-Thornycroft-gearbox/202023047601?hash=item2f098311b1:g:KFsAAOSwetRZlFec