Favourite bit of Kit you wouldn't be without

PatM293

Featured Posts

As a newbie I'm interested to know, Apart from the obvious Heater, phone, etc. What piece of kit could or would you never be without in this present climate ? What is it & why ;) i'll be taking notes for my emergency/survival box. Also does anyone know of a Website where I could purchase a lockmaster windlass as this seems ideal for my present condition/disability, please. I did see someone on the Forum had made there own. Thanks again, Stay Safe & warm.

Kit I would not be without in this weather - thermal long coms!! Proper offshore sailing ones that keep you warm even when wet.

Plus a good pair of waterproof boots.

Lockmaster windlass :

http://lockmasterwindlass.com (This site has never been updated).

I saw one for sale at Wharfhouse Narrowboats, Braunston Bottom Lock when I was last there in November.

http://www.wharfhouse.co.uk/

I had a play with it, and whilst I thought it was good it also was rather heavy,

Edited by Ray T

I'm with Ray - good set of thermals/waterproofs essential along with a good pair of waterproof gloves - I use a pair of skiers gloves.

I also would say my iPhone too as now with the various apps on it I can email/surf t'internet. and easily keep in touch with family and friends via. facebook and it even functions as an emergency torch...!!

For a proper torch though in your emergency kit I would say one of these -

http://www.ledlenserusa.com/product_info.php?modelNum=8407

Bought mine after being recommended to me on here - (By Liam or Dan IIRC) - very handy piece of kit.

For a proper torch though in your emergency kit I would say one of these -

http://www.ledlenserusa.com/product_info.php?modelNum=8407

Bought mine after being recommended to me on here - (By Liam or Dan IIRC) - very handy piece of kit.

I don't understand why people still waste one hand, holding a torch.

Petzl

For general use I have several Tikka+ dangling around the house, boat and caravan plus a couple of Zipkas.

For working in the engine room or outside, my Myo XP is as good as daylight but the headtorch I have with me all the time is the e-lite...tiny, in a waterproof container but powerful enough to be used as a general use torch or for emergency signalling.

I'm hoping that I'll be getting the next generation Tikka XP Core, for xmas, with USB charging.

I wouldn't be without my Amazon Kindle reader. I love books. I read all the time but there's so little space to keep them on the boat. With the Kindle I can keep 3,500 books on the boat (70 years reading at one book a week). I love it

Like you I love books but once I have read them I get rid of them either to Charity Shops or to Book Drops for other people to enjoy.

Anyway I have been debating about The Kindle for a while but as I live on a boat and use a Dongle how would I go about downloading the books. Also not sure I like the idea of trying to read from a Kindle when in bed!!!

Like you I love books but once I have read them I get rid of them either to Charity Shops or to Book Drops for other people to enjoy.

Anyway I have been debating about The Kindle for a while but as I live on a boat and use a Dongle how would I go about downloading the books. Also not sure I like the idea of trying to read from a Kindle when in bed!!!

Another vote here for a Kindle. If you get the more expensive version of the Kindle you don't need a dongle, you download books using a built in 3G connection. It's very clever.

More than one item -

Proper snow boots

Full set of waterproofs

sealskinz waterproof socks snd gloves

cashmere neckwarmer

cashmere cardi

legwarmers

We have some of the tikka headtorches, but I also got one of those rechargeable LED work lights from Lidl (we call it the light sabre), it is very useful as has a hook on the top, so you can hang it up where needed.

I'm with carl

I continue to be gob smacked that so many boaters dont have a decent head torch -

I have used petzels for over 30 years in al sorts of weather - mainly at night in the rain whilst mountaineering, and on a boat the led ones are the buiz for seeing around in dark engine room corners, looking in the bildges, safely stepping on the plank etc at night...

of the bigger items i would probably say the invertor (victron 3000) and the heritage stove, both perform !! seamless hassle free, and need very little maintenance etc

Clothing wise - paramo smock - weather proof ! and a snug fit... mine is over 10 years and has been excellent value for money

Swiss army knife

I have a French army knife.

Called a Laguiole, it has every accessory essential for a French soldier, or boater of any nationality, to survive...

A blade for slicing your cheese, saussicon, etc. and, on the back, a corkscrew.

ctx%20thuya%20ros%20TB.5.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't understand why people still waste one hand, holding a torch.

Petzl

But I am from planet zog and I have three arms and I don't understand why people don't realise they look a bit silly with a head torch on.

- purley MHO of course....

edit to add - and no I don't think my third arm looks silly just in case somebody was going to be 'spacist' and say it does...

Edited by MJG

You download the ebooks to your computer then transfer to the kindle via the usb.

Reading the Kindle in bed is the same as a book. there is no backlight so no glare on tired eyes

Good head torches are so cheap now I can't stop buying them, got 'em dotted all over the place!

Cheap head torches are cheap.

Good head torches cost what they're worth.

I have several broken energiser/tesco/gelert type head torches but have never managed to break a Petzl, even though the Petzls are used constantly and the cheapos are only bought, and used, when I've forgotten my Petzl.

I have a Silva head torch that probably matches the Petzls, on quality but I don't like wearing it.