Mastervolt Inverter

kendo

Featured Posts

mv-1.jpg

Hi People.

Sorry to trouble you.

But have you ever seen anything like this?

Came back to the boat, and everything was lit up.

Battery bank completely flat.

Three days into re-charging, and when we flick the switch, fan comes on.

then stops, and everything lights up again.

Bit worried.

Help?!

mv-1.jpg

Hi People.

Sorry to trouble you.

But have you ever seen anything like this?

Came back to the boat, and everything was lit up.

Battery bank completely flat.

Three days into re-charging, and when we flick the switch, fan comes on.

then stops, and everything lights up again.

Bit worried.

Help?!

Hi Kendo

I may be able to help

Electrically isolated the Mass Combi so that it can be worked on

Disconnecting the short break out put wires then re-try activating the combi

if all is well the fault is within the AC wiring of the boat

If it is still faulty the unit will have to be returned for service

If you like please PM me and I will happy try and help over the phone.

Keith

Hi Keith, Hi Gibbo.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve, the engineer who fitted the boat wiring, also fitted the batteries,

and the mastervolt. I think he's already checked the fuses. Everything was

working fine when we went away. But the refusal to start is perplexing...

it clicks, seems to go through 1/2 of the startup self test... then stops,

and all the lights come on.

It's a 540ah bank, which was drained completely. The charger we've borrowed

is putting 14 amps back into it (at present). But it's dropping below freezing

at night, and barely getting above that during the day. Which i suspect, isn't

helping matters. (control panel says 12.56v, but it drops lower than that when

shorepower is removed).

I'll pass your suggestions onto him tomorrow, and give it another whirl,

after another 24 hours charging. We think the problem was caused by another

boater, who's been popping the marina fuses with his 3kw heaters. Bit worried

that it might have been damaged by a spike.

Thanks for your help.

I think that small charger might take a month to charge that bat.

nod.. we figured it would take a while. it's been three days now.

we're worried they've been permanently damaged. is that possible?

Last night, with the charger on, they registered 12.57. Turned the charger

off while we slept (for safety) and they dropped to 12.10 quickly. This morning

they were reading 11.70. Nothing is on to drain them, so they're not holding the

charge overnight. Which is not good, is it?

It's a 4x135ah bank. and the charger is connected to the one nearest the cabin.

That's probably not good, either. But it's all we have to work with currently.

*sigh*

Have you checked the fluid levels? The batteries might have reached the end of their life, but do you need 4 batteries?

Do you have a good battery that you can check the inverter with, maybe the starter?

Also try phoneing MV or Reading Marina. I had a half hour chat with the marina, who managed to talk me through how it should be installed correctly.

Tim

we're worried they've been permanently damaged. is that possible?

Sadly, it's probable.

Tony

Turned the charger off while we slept (for safety)...

I wouldn't do that - it's a third of a day's charging you're losing by doing that. Plus, leaving them in a partially charged state is doing them even more damage.

Tony

Page 35 & 36 of the manual covers fault finding via. the led lights on/off combination.

I've trawled through it though and can't see the description for every single led being on simultaneously and static - sounds as though it might be goosed (Though note I'm defo. no expert).

If you need a copy of the manual you can get one on the Mastervolt site or PM me with an email addy and I can ping you it in pdf format.

Good luck - as I have the same/similar set up I'd be interested to hear what's up with it - post back when it's sorted.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Steve (engineer) has been round for a fault finding session. Nothing seems to be

wrong with the switches or cabling. We disconnected and reset the kernel on the

mastervolt, but it behaved exactly the same when reconnected. Powers up, whirs

a bit, and then gets stuck in a loop. It's not even getting to the "all lights on" stage

anymore (which we couldn't find in the manual, either). Current thinking is that

the mastervolt itself is knackered. It's less than a year old, and still under warranty.

We're currently wired so that internal sockets at least have power over xmas. Put a small

trickle charger onto the batts, so that it can be left on 24 hours without a fire risk in

the engine bay.

Will keep you updated on progress.

Thanks once again for the POV and tips.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks. hope you all had a good xmas.

Seen it on a Victron Multi-its prob the Mega Fuse Blown.

250a megafuse? We have one that lives below our mastervolt, but it looks like it's Ok. intact, and not smoky or damaged.

update:

The combi has been sent back to Aquafax, and from there, to Holland. Because the "new unit" warranty was only for a miserly six months. We were worried about a severe wallet spanking, but, thankfully, it's happened within one year of purchase, and we're still partly covered.

It's been below freezing, more often than not. Sorry I can't give an update on permanent battery damage. Not been using any 12v at all, because i'm thinking it might cause even more damage. (battery monitor says 11.89v ~ 40%).

Running the engine for an hour a day (when i could get it running), doesn't seem to have put anything discernable back (@12.88v). And in the subzero, the 5a trickle charger appears to be next to useless. Borrowing a beefier charger tomorrow, and hoping that the warmer weather allows for some improvements.

cheers...

Because the "new unit" warranty was only for a miserly six months.

That is legally incorrect. Your FULL warranty is with the retailer not the maker. They might give you EXTRA features to go via the maker but ALL liability lies with the retailer.

Oh & UK law gives you much much more than 6 months or a year.

That is legally incorrect. Your FULL warranty is with the retailer not the maker. They might give you EXTRA features to go via the maker but ALL liability lies with the retailer.

Thanks Justme, that's interesting. Our engineer currently has the documentation, but AFAIK, the guarantee is under six months for a new unit. Over six months, return to Holland. Up to a year. It's nine months old.

Is that illegal?

The chandlers I bought it from, never even had it in their shop.

They're the "retailer", right? It was dispatched directly from

Aquafax. AFAIK, Aquafax have sent it back to the manufacturer.

Either way, we're without the inverter. The best I was hoping for

was not to have to pay anything for the repair costs. But you're

saying I should be demanding a NEW unit as a replacement, even

though it's over six months old?

Who should I take that up with?

Aquafax, or the chandlers where we bought it?

Oh & UK law gives you much much more than 6 months or a year.

could you point me at some links, please? if the guarantee issued is illegal,

it would be good to be able to tell them why, exactly.

The extra they offer you is not illegal its extra. The shop / reseller saying that they only have to deal with you for 6 months is against the UK & EU regs. What if the makers shut down after you buy it? The 6 month thing is that up to that point its up to them to prove it was not faulty as supplied (in fact its implied that it was), after that its up to you to prove it was faulty as supplied. Thats very different to them saying after 6 months you have to deal with the maker.

They can put what they like on the guarantee it does not make it LAW. They do it cos most people will give up at that point.

No you are not entitled to a new one at this stage. Had it been newer then yes you would but if you accept a repair then thats all you can ever get, so when a brand new item fails never ever take a repair always get a new one. You are entitled to a free fix, if the shop has to send it off its up to them to pay for it (you do need to pay to get it to the shop).

The internet is full of legal consumer rights sites that will tell you what you need. However at this point it seems that apart from having to deal with the importers you are getting it fixed FOC. Try this google search LINKY for a start. The first link is good.

Hi Justme. a free repair would be fair, we feel.

shipping it via aquafax was quicker than sending it up to the chandlers,

and them having to send it back to aquafax. they both told us to do it

that way. given that it was pre-xmas, and all. everybody we've spoken to

has been friendly and helpful, so far. i just think "six months" is a bit

tight, given the cost of the unit.

haven't heard any news yet.

hoping it won't take months to sort out.

cheers..

• 3 weeks later...

*update*

An email sent to Aquafax UK, elicited a telephone call response within 4 hours. When they

found out we were liveaboards, they offered us a replacement unit, until the fault with

ours could be ascertained. which i thought was nice of them. They were able to spot that

the internal ceramic fuse had blown. And the internal fan was clogged up with dust

(quote "i'd expect that much dust in 5 years, but not 9 months"). When they replaced the

ceramic fuse, it did exactly the same thing it did on our boat. So it got sent back to

Holland.

Shield UK are not offering any kind of warranty. They're saying it's up to us to prove

that the batteries were faulty. And their "special doing you a favour trade price" for

replacement batteries is £98 each, not including VAT. Which we think is "pants". We'll be

sourcing them elsewhere, as we no longer trust that brand.

So, basically, we're still waiting. the marina have offered to "help us out", if we can

prove it was them. but I'm not sure Mastervolt will be able to tell us exactly what went

on. And there was nobody on the boat to witness what happened. we're insured, but i was

hoping not to have to go down that road. oh well.

just thought i'd let you know what was happening, anyway.

cheers.. (and a belated happy new year).

:mellow:

• 2 months later...

I have lived aboard for 3 years and have had to replace the batteries every year. Usually a bit less. I dont have a 12v fridge or a solar panel yet, so it does mean they take a bit of a beating via the inverter, but we just had a really, really cold winter and my batteries are already beginning to shiver and shake and I didnt even run the fridge this winter! Rotten no fair. They were new in September. I dont run much, just my laptop or the telly (dvd) or a radio/CD a few 1amp lights (sometimes leave 4 on at a time by mistake but it feels more homely that way). I dont think batteries last that long unless your systems are all 12v and solar panel supported.

Oh, to be fair, my central heating knocks the batteries too...ran that a lot this winter

• 2 years later...

Good afternoon all.

I'm bumping this thread even though it's four years old because we have the same problem, the same symptoms, and the same led readouts as the OP four years ago. The original thread ended without any clear indication what the fault was, what caused it and what had to be done/spent/ replaced to put it right.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks,

DaveGood

Hi ya,

I wasn't around on the Forum when this occurred,

But I would think,at a guess that your Batteries would be the place to start with this one.

Once you do a full Battery Check, Charge (even if you have to borrow a charger) then check again while at rest, if all is fine,you can then eliminate them as the potential problem and move to the next thing in the line,Probably your Mastervolt Unit ect.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi everybody. We did eventually get it fixed. (700 quid + new battery bank). If it blows again, Oxford cruisers (near eynsham) are the people to speak to. Sending it back to Holland for every fault, sucks the big one.