young male deck hand!!

daveyboi2050

Featured Posts

Hi am a young 23 single male from widnes nr liverpool iam an experinced boaters having passed my RYA and have been on huindreds off boating holiday.

iam looking to make freinds in the boating comunity and help people skipper there boats. can travel anywere in uk.

PM me for more info

Hi am a young 23 single male from widnes nr liverpool iam an experinced boaters having passed my RYA and have been on huindreds off boating holiday.

iam looking to make freinds in the boating comunity and help people skipper there boats. can travel anywere in uk.

PM me for more info

As hundreds is plural I assume at least 200. You say you are 23 - that's nearly two a year for every year of your life. I know that spelling is not a big thing on this forum, but is this actually for real?

PM me for more info

Which RYA have you passed?

now forgive my cr8p maths, but 2 x 23 = 46, did you mean 10 a year ?

Whoops!!! I can spell and I know my grammar though. What I meant of course was at least 8.69 hirings a year, but I guess I was confused as he himself is a plural "boaters", and I was not sure how many he was. I noted also he promoted himself (himselves?) from deckhand in the title to skipper somewhere along the line.

i just cant beleive that such a good boating community turns into such a horrible nasty group of backstabbers and nasty people.

iam 23 and had a fair few holidays on the canal around 8/10 a year.

but i suffer with dyslexia.

and yes i have passed my RYA inland waterways

just because i cant spell doesnt mean i cant skipper a boat.

or help out a single handed skipper doing locks etc.

Whoops!!! I can spell and I know my grammar though. What I meant of course was at least 8.69 hirings a year, but I guess I was confused as he himself is a plural "boaters", and I was not sure how many he was. I noted also he promoted himself (himselves?) from deckhand in the title to skipper somewhere along the line.

and were i have promoted myself???

if you read it properly it says " to help people skipper there boat!

I'm not sure about "horrible nasty backstabbers" I'm not sure anything has been said maliciously.

Most "friends requests" that are posted get a bit of ribbing and I'm sure anyone who has bothered reading your previous posts knows that you are a keen boater who is willing to contribute, knowledgeably, to the forum.

I'm sure no real offence was meant and I hope you can take it with the light hearted (though sometimes misplaced) attitude that was intended.

I'm not sure about "horrible nasty backstabbers" I'm not sure anything has been said maliciously.

Most "friends requests" that are posted get a bit of ribbing and I'm sure anyone who has bothered reading your previous posts knows that you are a keen boater who is willing to contribute, knowledgeably, to the forum.

I'm sure no real offence was meant and I hope you can take it with the light hearted (though sometimes misplaced) attitude that was intended.

i dont think it was personally

Edited by daveyboi2050

i just cant beleive that such a good boating community turns into such a horrible nasty group of backstabbers and nasty people.

You are correct. There are some horrible people here. I find it easier to laugh at them rather than comment.

Sue

• Greenie 2

OK, mea culpa and I apologise for the spelling comments. I have a son who is dyslectic and appreciate the difficulty - though it does not bother him or hold him back from running a very successful business. I looked in as there was seemingly someone who wanted work as a deck hand. That is not a term I associate with narrow boating, so I was reacting to a posting saying someone had hired boats hundreds of times, which seemed rather extreme for someone who is 23, and who was wishing to help "skipper" a boat. "Skipper" in my world is effectively captain, and it therefore seemed a rather boastful and confusing mail.

Edited by Tam & Di

You are correct. There are some horrible people here. I find it easier to laugh at them rather than comment.

Sue

There are, indeed.

The problem is that nobody WAS horrible to the OP.

The OP made a post that appeared to rather "sex up" his level of experience to the extent that if it were taken even remotely literally, it wasn't credible.

From my POV (and I'm probably in a position where he is close enough to take a trip with us) I have to ask myself the following;

"Does his self-portrait tell of somebody who has been boating a few times, is keen, doesn't have a boat, and is asking for help, or does it speak of somebody who has been boating a couple of times, thinks he knows it all, and is exagerating his level of experience, in order to induce people to let him play with their boats"

Whichever is actually the case, the image that it painted for me was the latter, and if I am going to let somebody play with my boat, the first thing I want to know is that they aren't so taken in by their own story about how good they are that they won't listen. Sorry if the OP thinks that is horrible, but based on his initial post, it didn't give me any confidence that allowing him on board would be a good idea. He failed to sell himself.

Maybe that was a wrong first impression, although the petulant tantrum did little to suggest that it was, but the fact is that if you want to play with other people's boats, you have to inspire confidence.

• Greenie 1

Daveyboi, I may not have taken your opening post seriously due to the title and the fact that I had just finished reading the latest content in the pole dancing thread - sorry.

Have you tried sites such as this one? Work on a boat

Also, If you need to submit a resume on line, you could prepare your draft in (say) word and use the spell check. Once you are happy with it, then cut and paste into the reply box on the forum.

It's not really inland waterways though is it?

If you want paid boating, you could try here:

http://www.reedboats.co.uk/crew.html

Mike

Problem with that one being it was a short term requirement that ended before end of October.

(Judging by some of the comment passed on the forum about those boats, I suspect it would have been "interesting" to say the least!..........)

Daveyboi,

Put a linage ad in the waterways mag, under boat delivery, offer a service delivery boats on the inland waterways, I did 8 years ago, and you will get work, its a bit hit and miss but work does come in.

If you want more info, pm me and I'll give you more info.

Nigel

It's not really inland waterways though is it?

Mike - the links do turn up things like this if you stick with it:

inland waterways NE england Crew seekers

Reference: CS-5635-AD

Boat Details: 54ft narrow boat

Destination: Inland waterways and some tidal

Availability: Holidays

Crew Requirements: Anyone with an interest in inland waterways with some tidal trips

Financial Arrangement: Shared Contribution

Travel Expenses: Paid by Crew

Date Posted / Updated: 29/09/2010

As a young Liverpool lad, I would fancy warmer climes this time of year!