looking for a cruising companion

dccruiser

Featured Posts

I was neither getting grumpy or arsey, but it would be really nice if i could put up a genuine advert without it being swamped with comments and alleged humour so that if someone who was genuinly interested came along they would just see my post as intended and not have to trawl through the dross or be too intimidated to reply.

I notice a new menber on the site tried the same and hasnt been seen since as he obviously thought whats the point trying to put out a genuine advert only to be berated ... it is such a shame that all the long standing members on here , rather than employing their time helping and advising others and keeping their humor in the relevant threads or excercising it in chat where others have a choice to subject themselves to it , instead trawl every thread to pick up on anything they can possibly take the p*ss out of, i know it has been said so many times before but some people are too thick skinned or feel that their post count somehow gives them a right to do this and even though it has cost the site more than a few members and also made all too many people think twice about posting it still goes on, if anything in the years i have been on here it has got far worse mores the pity.

Still i guess if you are just sat on a boat hour on hour and never actually go anywhere and your life is so shallow this is the only feeling of importance or this is the only attention you get you will all carry on in the same vein, so rather than feeling arsey towards you i actually feel pity and i can only put your actions down to jealousy as i am retired and will be continually cruising this year and every year from here on in until i am too old and knackered, so for the fact i have been on here a number of years now i would appreciate the opportunity to put a genuine advert on the crew swap thread that only requires a response from the person i am aiming it at.

Thank you

Rick

If you don't want light hearted banter and discussion then you need to place an advert somewhere that doesn't have an option to discuss or partake in light hearted banter.

This is a discussion forum, not a dating agency, and you cannot dictate where a discussion you start leads.

As to my life being shallow I am semi-retired. have a gorgeous OH, 2 lovely kids, a nice house, several boats, none of which have internet access and no need whatsoever to put an ad on a discussion forum asking for company.

Oh and I would make the same comments and light-hearted banter if it was my first post here. Post count is irrelevant.

Try this:

"Miserable old sod seeks female with no sense of humour, is happy for me to dictate how a discussion goes and who loves walking on eggshells."

Might be no more successful but would be nearer the truth.

Grumpy old git!

they love the attention and confrontation.

There was no attention seeking or confrontation intended. People were just using a discussion forum for the purpose it was intended and Dccruiser threw his toys out of the pram.

Perhaps if he'd taken the comments in the light hearted, harmless way they were intended and laughed along with them then someone might have been attracted by his good humour, rather than put off by his unsporting manner.

IF YOU DON'T WANT A DISCUSSION PUT AN AD IN A CLASSIFIED ADS WEBSITE, NOT A DISCUSSION FORUM!

Edited by carlt

Perhaps, Roxy, you should go back and read the two short, innocuous comments that I made and ask yourself if the OP was justified in singling me out, when he had his hissy fit?

I didn't even start the perfectly harmless banter.

Perhaps, Roxy, you should go back and read the two short, innocuous comments that I made and ask yourself if the OP was justified in singling me out, when he had his hissy fit?

I didn't even start the perfectly harmless banter.

Whos chucked there toys out of there pram now!!??

Chill out :cheers:

Ps - If the OP is having a 'hissy fit' keep your gob shut and ignore it, or even better turn off your comp/lappy/iphone/ipad...and go to work :D

PPS - Carlt have you got a wet suit? I need to recover my prop :D Blessings xxx

• Greenie 1

Whos chucked there toys out of there pram now!!??

Chill out :cheers:

Ps - If the OP is having a 'hissy fit' keep your gob shut and ignore it, or even better turn off your comp/lappy/iphone/ipad...and go to work :D

I am perfectly chilled, thanks, no toys chucked just carrying on the discussion that he chose to start.

I have no intention of ignoring anyone. I am having a perfectly reasonable discussion that I didn't start but, as is welcomed on discussion forums, I have chosen to participate in.

There is nothing in my responses to you that should suggest that I need to calm down.

PPS: Get in and walk around, you'll soon find it.

Obviously in an ideal world i would prefer to meet a woman with a similar passion for the canals, who would also enjoy stopping off at all the places of interest along the way and i would prefer to share the boat, but more than anything I just want to get out cruising long term and explore the system in its entirity, i have done a fair bit single handed over the last 20+ years and now i have retired and have no timescale would like to do it at a slower pace with the right company aboard.

Rick

Make your mind up then - you're confusing the issue -_-

I was neither getting grumpy or arsey, but it would be really nice if i could put up a genuine advert without it being swamped with comments and alleged humour so that if someone who was genuinly interested came along they would just see my post as intended and not have to trawl through the dross or be too intimidated to reply.

I notice a new menber on the site tried the same and hasnt been seen since as he obviously thought whats the point trying to put out a genuine advert only to be berated ... it is such a shame that all the long standing members on here , rather than employing their time helping and advising others and keeping their humor in the relevant threads or excercising it in chat where others have a choice to subject themselves to it , instead trawl every thread to pick up on anything they can possibly take the p*ss out of, i know it has been said so many times before but some people are too thick skinned or feel that their post count somehow gives them a right to do this and even though it has cost the site more than a few members and also made all too many people think twice about posting it still goes on, if anything in the years i have been on here it has got far worse mores the pity.

Still i guess if you are just sat on a boat hour on hour and never actually go anywhere and your life is so shallow this is the only feeling of importance or this is the only attention you get you will all carry on in the same vein, so rather than feeling arsey towards you i actually feel pity and i can only put your actions down to jealousy as i am retired and will be continually cruising this year and every year from here on in until i am too old and knackered, so for the fact i have been on here a number of years now i would appreciate the opportunity to put a genuine advert on the crew swap thread that only requires a response from the person i am aiming it at.

Thank you

Rick

I think you're in the wrong forum. You're looking for for sale/wanted.

If you don't want light hearted banter and discussion then you need to place an advert somewhere that doesn't have an option to discuss or partake in light hearted banter.

This is a discussion forum, not a dating agency, and you cannot dictate where a discussion you start leads.

Actually i asked politely if you bothered to read my post ....

I mean would it be such a big ask for all you forum members to just leave one post alone and move onto the next one?

Furthermore putting an ad out to ask if there is a single female who wishes to meet me with a veiw to long term cruising is hardly a subject of discussion for anyone but the possible aforementioned female, surely your lives arent that sad that if you neglected to pass comment or rip the p*ss you would feel like you had seriously missed out and wouldnt be able to sleep at night? so, unless this is the case i hope if i place the same ad again tomorrow you will respect that, unless of course despite what you say about how happy you are that is not the case at all and i was right all along.... as that is the only possible assumption barring jealousy of course.

.... i mean is it a case of you darent allow me , although unless you secretly own this site i have as much right as you, or alternatively you are afraid i will be successful in my quest?

For the life of me i cant find any other possible explanation other than it is too many big fish in a small pond syndrome ... as a long standing member you cant possibly be seen not to post on any new thread that comes up irrespective of whether it is positive or not.

Just makes me wonder if and i use this as an example, i had took the p*ss everyday when Pav had all his trouble with severn valley cruisers i am sure you would have all been up in arms ... before anyone gets in anything snyde about my example i did offer him tempory accomodation in mmy house.

So, now it is my time where i need to place a serious ad to hopefully change my life and go continually cruising which for reasons i am not prepared to discuss on an open forum i cannot do alone, so once more i would ask that when i post my ad again, unless you are the person it is intended for , you just ignore its presence and go on to the next one. ... surely that cannot be too much to ask of all you fellow boaters?

As one of the things i have always liked about boating is that we are all there to help each other, just like i was had Pav needed my help, or just like the day and 80 mile drive i did unpaid to help Bazza out when all his electrics burnt out on his princess, along with a guy called peter (an ex member as he posted once and gave up) i overhauled his sonic drive on his Nauticus one weekend last summer for a couple of beers as he was quoted 1500 quid for the job...... and all i ask is all you wonderful people leave on post alone? If you really cannot find your way to doing that, the minute you post it really says it all about you, i dont think i will need to make any further comment, i guess i will just have to accept that the d*ckheads cannot live without their self importance or impotence if thats what it is and they run the site , not the moderators.

Thank you if you took the trouble to read the whole of my post, and thank you Roxy for your kind words and affirmation that a female would not be put of me on the strength of my posting

Rick

Furthermore putting an ad out to ask if there is a single female who wishes to meet me with a veiw to long term cruising is hardly a subject of discussion for anyone but the possible aforementioned female, surely your lives arent that sad that if you neglected to pass comment or rip the p*ss you would feel like you had seriously missed out and wouldnt be able to sleep at night? so, unless this is the case i hope if i place the same ad again tomorrow you will respect that, unless of course despite what you say about how happy you are that is not the case at all and i was right all along.

To be honest if you do post a thread (you are not placing an ad) in a discussion forum then you can expect more of the same light hearted banter.

No "ripping the piss" but my intention to treat a discussion forum exactly as that, a place to discuss things has no bearing on whether I am happy or not.

If you get all upset over a bit of mickey taking perhaps you are better off on your own.

Remember...you start a thread in a discussion forum to provoke a discussion, not place an ad.

Perhaps, as has been suggested by someone else, you should place an ad in the "For Sale/Wanted" section and you could always ask the mods to lock it, immediately, if you can't take a bit of fun.

.... i mean is it a case of you darent allow me , although unless you secretly own this site i have as much right as you, or alternatively you are afraid i will be successful in my quest?

Daren't allow you what?

I couldn't care less if you meet the woman of your dreams, though I would pity her subsequent dry, humourless life.

I don't own this site and I respect, absolutely, your right to start a discussion thread. Why don't you respect my right to join in the discussion?

Edited by carlt

I don't own this site and I respect, absolutely, your right to start a discussion thread. Why don't you respect my right to join in the discussion?

So , if i put a post in here specific to a potential partner and i state in block capitals although it isnt a locked post could any responses be by P.M. only ... and even though i have asked nicely several times for the post to be left alone , you will still feel the need to turn it into a discussion although it is not what i want?

So, i respect your right to discuss anything on the site, but i cannot ask you not to discuss something that is not up for discussion .... and the respect is where ?

Refer to the end of my post i consider anyone who couldnt make just one exception .. to be ... well i wont say i think i already have

As one of the things i have always liked about boating is that we are all there to help each other, just like i was had Pav needed my help, or just like the day and 80 mile drive i did unpaid to help Bazza out when all his electrics burnt out on his princess, along with a guy called peter (an ex member as he posted once and gave up) i overhauled his sonic drive on his Nauticus one weekend last summer for a couple of beers as he was quoted 1500 quid for the job......

Well done!

So why is any of this relevant to you wanting to dictate how people use the forum?

I can't be bothered starting a willy waving competition over who is the most helpful, unless you can explain the relevance.

So, i respect your right to discuss anything on the site, but i cannot ask you not to discuss something that is not up for discussion .... and the respect is where ?

If it is not up for discussion, don't post it here...

1_logo.png

See the carefully hidden clue? :rolleyes:

Edited by carlt

Well done!

So why is any of this relevant to you wanting to dictate how people use the forum?

I can't be bothered starting a willy waving competition over who is the most helpful, unless you can explain the relevance.

[/quote}

I requested politely several times , i dont consider that dictating .... as for pointing out i was here to help other boaters i all i was doing was illustrating the fact i am helpful to others and just asked you be helpful to me in just leaving one thread alone.

As for willy waving who is most helpful i didnt comment on how helpfiul you choose to be or not as the case may be.

Just explain to me why you cannot live without excercising your right to discuss a post that isnt going to affect you in any way whatsoever? when i have asked you not to? are you really so small minded and disrespectful of others?

I requested politely several times....

.....when i have asked you not to? are you really so small minded and disrespectful of others?

Funnily enough I don't find this polite...

... and just for carlt's information and any other of the alleged comedians on here ....

I find it small minded and disrespectful.

I guess our interpretations of the term "politely" are as different as our interpretations of "humour".

You have still failed to explain why you singled me out for criticism when I neither started the harmless humour nor made the most or strongest jokes.

http://www.canalworl...showtopic=27644

Funny all those that posted asking for this forum and that decribed its use never said anything about banter, also looking at past posts for help there isnt one p*ss take or banter among them... were you asleep that day? or on holiday perhaps? ... or is it that if i ask for help next sunday through foxton thats ok, but if i choose to instead ask if there is a lady out there who wishes to accompany me you feel the need to sabotage my thread? ... oh and of course , load of b*llox or not excersise your right to post?

Chill out peeps and remember.

Welcome to a virtual waterways community...

We are a friendly discussion based community, with focused discussion on any issue relating to inland waterways.

Says it all. :banghead:

http://www.canalworl...showtopic=27644

Funny all those that posted asking for this forum and that decribed its use never said anything about banter, also looking at past posts for help there isnt one p*ss take or banter among them... were you asleep that day? or on holiday perhaps? ... or is it that if i ask for help next sunday through foxton thats ok, but if i choose to instead ask if there is a lady out there who wishes to accompany me you feel the need to sabotage my thread? ... oh and of course , load of b*llox or not excersise your right to post?

Link doesn't work and the rest of your post makes no sense, possibly as a result.

Edited to add: there is no "piss taking" in this thread, just good humour that is riddled through this website, for those not too sour-faced and miserable to look.

We are a friendly discussion based community, with focused discussion on any issue relating to inland waterways.

and that is exactly what this thread consisted of, until the OP spat the dummy.

Edited by carlt

Well if i am as you say such a miserable sod ... why on earth dont you ignore me and the one post i want left alone?

Because you still haven't addressed my question.

Why did you single me out for criticism when others made more, stronger jokes and I wasn't even the first to start the humour?

I don't ignore anyone, either and, as long as you try to dictate how I, and others, use this website, I will continue to question you.

Once those matters are settled I'll return to the harmless humour :)

Because you still haven't addressed my question.

Why did you single me out for criticism when others made more, stronger jokes and I wasn't even the first to start the humour?

I don't ignore anyone, either and, as long as you try to dictate how I, and others, use this website, I will continue to question you.

Once those matters are settled I'll return to the harmless humour :)

i will personaly and publicly appologise for mentioning you by name , the only reason i did was that you appeared twice in the first page of this thread.... and from your other posts are one of the prolific humerists on the site. No offence was intended

and from your other posts are one of the prolific humerists on the site.

Ahah! So now you admit it!

I never meant any offence either and I will leave any new thread you start alone....as long as we so called comedians can have free rein over this one, of course. ;)

Ahah! So now you admit it!

I never meant any offence either and I will leave any new thread you start alone....as long as we so called comedians can have free rein over this one, of course. ;)

Absolutley pathetic.Are you a young child purporting to be an adult? Why can you just not leave the thread alone go and attemtp to be funny else where, perhaps with your other half, or is she sick to death of your anal comments also ?

Absolutley pathetic.Are you a young child purporting to be an adult? Why can you just not leave the thread alone go and attemtp to be funny else where, perhaps with your other half, or is she sick to death of your anal comments also ?

Strange you should join in when we appear to have reconciled our differences.

That, to my mind is pathetic (and pretty anal, too).

Edited by carlt

What's all that about Micky. It would appear that peace has been made.

Are you taking over the batten from DC to have a go at Carl?

Martyn

I do not recall any reconciliation, Have missed somthing ? In fact the majority of comments by a few in this thread bears out my initial gripe several weeks ago, which i am sure you can all remember. There are times and places for your alleged humour / point scoring. All i have to say on the matter less it turns in to another deleted thread.