Tug style narrow boats

Featured Posts

Tug style is only a name for a general style of narrowboat, its as good as any to define a style that I would describe as having something about them ie above the ordinary where someone has taken the trouble to make the boat look better and have some similarity to the look of parts of working narrowboats. I dont know where these names came from but how about cruiser for name for a type of narrowboat, how rediculous is that?, or even semi trad come to that. For types other than narrowboats with portholes often as not they could be called "brick style" from my point of view but I dont think it will catch on somehow, not would many agree with me I dare say!

Charles

I suppose you could argue that a cruiser is so called because it`s function is to cruise the canal rather than work on it . By extension a "trad" is therefore a cruiser with a more "traditional" arrangement at the back.For me it starts to get truly ridiculous with "semi-trad".

My aversion to false rivets possibly stems from my Yorkshireness - why spend so much money on fripperies. As I`ve said before I`d rather the money went into making a better boat - slide runners made of angled plate are one particular bug-bear of mine. Do without the rivets and have the fundamentals improved - unless you go to a top builder who actually deserves to be so called. He`ll provide the fur coat AND the knickers! No , please , I don`t mean that literally.

Cheers

Phil

HERE'S MINE (first time playing with pictures so a bit of quick editing)

39.jpg

Absobloodylutely! A tug !

Phil

Thanks, I'm now psyching myself up to do a Josher, need to find one with a wood top but some of the non rebuilt ones have wood bum too which is big money out of the water job. Or good bilge pumps with regular service intervals :blink:

The 'ultimate' tugs are now too old to work and too impractical to own, like that beautiful Thames tug on B&O, stunning, Gardner 6 in it but she's being replaced with a new tug. £9k is a bargain but it's not the kind of boat you can USE.

edited: Of course to some people a tug was wooden, particularly canal tugs but I suspect most people polled would say they are thought of as being iron... (just don't want to annoy anyone)

Do you mean this one?

Humber tug on the Thames

I don't understand why she's unusable (unworkable maybe but I'd still use her)

Is there another I haven't found btw? Gizza link if that's the case.

I'm only precious about wooden narrowboats and yachts btw. If I had a proper boat (like the one above) it would be BIG and STEEL (or iron)

Do you mean this one?

Humber tug on the Thames

I don't understand why she's unusable (unworkable maybe but I'd still use her)

Is there another I haven't found btw? Gizza link if that's the case.

I'm only precious about wooden narrowboats and yachts btw. If I had a proper boat (like the one above) it would be BIG and STEEL (or iron)

NO, It was the THAMES TUG I was talking about, similar to 'the Hazy', 'Cannon Brook' and the other Thames Conservancy units.

Just checked and it's been removed since yesterday. Rude!!! It was £9k.

That's badddd...

Thanks, I'm now psyching myself up to do a Josher, need to find one with a wood top but some of the non rebuilt ones have wood bum too which is big money out of the water job. Or good bilge pumps with regular service intervals :blink:

Wooden bottoms are the easiest to maintain, Nuts and bolts and a bit of caulking. There used to be a lovely station boat hull sunk near stockton which was offered to me for a bottle of single malt. I regretfully turned it down.

NO, It was the THAMES TUG I was talking about, similar to 'the Hazy', 'Cannon Brook' and the other Thames Conservancy units.

Just checked and it's been removed since yesterday. Rude!!! It was £9k.

That's badddd...

Oh, found it... My favourite type this one but would want to be worked!

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F123764/

Edited by magnetman

HERE'S MINE (first time playing with pictures so a bit of quick editing)

39.jpg

If I am not mistaken for sale not too far back with a deisel genny in the hold, I did my sums on this one based on an extended cabin and steel raised deck, and it worked out to be viable, a good project boat, and a good example of the type of boat I would go for as my next project. Hope you have the time to finish it

Charles

Oh, found it... My favourite type this one but would want to be worked!

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F123764/

Now then - I can just see this tied up near The Well o` the Heads on the Caledonian canal , converted for living on. If someone will please arrange that for about 50 grand I`ll move right in ! On the other hand I suppose pigs might fly.

Cheers

Phil

Now then - I can just see this tied up near The Well o` the Heads on the Caledonian canal , converted for living on. If someone will please arrange that for about 50 grand I`ll move right in ! On the other hand I suppose pigs might fly.

Cheers

Phil

I have looked at these a number of times as projects, there are many problems with them mainly, in my view, the lack of internal space, not only because of the hull shape taking away space but because they did not have holds so what internal space there is tends to be taken up with machinery and a large engine room

nice though

Charles

If I am not mistaken for sale not too far back with a deisel genny in the hold, I did my sums on this one based on an extended cabin and steel raised deck, and it worked out to be viable, a good project boat, and a good example of the type of boat I would go for as my next project. Hope you have the time to finish it

Charles

Looks pretty sorted to me. An extended cabin would ruin the look and a steel deck would lose it's functionality.

Thanks, I'm now psyching myself up to do a Josher, need to find one with a wood top but some of the non rebuilt ones have wood bum too which is big money out of the water job. Or good bilge pumps with regular service intervals :cheers:

One thing that a friend of mine has done is take the plastic lid off a rugby boats 70 footer and got Roger Farringdon to put a back cabin and engine room on and tarp the rest. It looks awesome. I was going to do the same with Tramella, my 65 foot wooden harboro marine but Usk came along so something had to give. But the harboro front end would be perfect for a fake workboat look,

• 1 year later...

It would have to be Richard Hurley. For me he's the best, just got to get him start building gain.....Dibbo

Hi if you were thinking of having a Tug style narrowboat build who would you have build the shell???

David

• 1 month later...
Barry Hawkins is a very good boat builder. We we went to see him in 2004 when we were considering having a boat built - that was before we found 'Alnwick'.

I am sure that Barry Hawkins would make an excellent job of any style of boat but for a real 'Northwich Trader' it has got to be R. W. Davis & Son Ltd. - yes we are biased because we have the prototype but if anyone is looking to invest in this style of boat we would be pleased to invite them aboard 'Alnwick' to judge for themselves. There is more about the 'Northwich Trader' class of boats on our website - here. The other benefit of the RWD boats is that they have enough room under the tug deck to provide a very generously sized double berth.

As a matter of interest, NB 'Oslo' which was sold some time ago was the third vessel of the class to be built.

I love the idea of the double berth under the foredeck. Is this something that is unique to R W Davis? Could it be done in a tug style boat from a different shell builder? The problem I have with RWD is I must have a boat no longer than 60 ft due to Calder & Hebble dimensions (and that is stretching to the limit, 58 ft would be preferred). I understand 62 ft is RWD's minimum in most circumstances.

I love the idea of the double berth under the foredeck. Is this something that is unique to R W Davis? Could it be done in a tug style boat from a different shell builder? The problem I have with RWD is I must have a boat no longer than 60 ft due to Calder & Hebble dimensions (and that is stretching to the limit, 58 ft would be preferred). I understand 62 ft is RWD's minimum in most circumstances.

To get the most out of this feature, you need a boat with fairly deep draught so that you have at least a yard and a half of headroom after the floor, lining and mattress go in. Alternatively, you can ballast the boat so the front end rises right up out of the water in an imposing fashion like the old carrying craft when they were empty - see the pics of 'Baldock' below.

13042008079.jpg

It is always worth making the journey down to Saul Junction to talk about your ideas with Phil Trotter at RWD. I am not saying that he will build a boat 60 ft long (or even 58 ft long) but if he recognises you as a genuine buyer with a real interest in owning a quality boat, he will be more than happy to discuss possibilities with you and he has been known to very flexible! :rolleyes:

Edited by NB Alnwick
to make the picture appear.

Hi if you were thinking of having a Tug style narrowboat build who would you have build the shell???

David

All sorts of people but probably Dave Harris or Ian Kemp. Beware that you could find yourself paying for window dressing when a bit more attention to fundamentals may have been in order . A thought - if the tugs people produce pastiches of were the most common tug types from years ago no-one would buy them.

Phil

Hi,

Tony Francis made some lovely tug style boats, beautiful lines and excellent steelwork, some like PILOT have very intersting bows, his boats coupled with a good vintage engine - really excellent.

Ref. falling asleep - the towing rings on the front of the cabin were specifically designed to attached a safety rope to when sleeping in a chair on the front deck, God forbid they should be considered as decoration.

Tugs are really user friendly and great for getting on and off if they have a raised front deck.

ATB

Albi

To get the most out of this feature, you need a boat with fairly deep draught so that you have at least a yard and a half of headroom after the floor, lining and mattress go in. Alternatively, you can ballast the boat so the front end rises right up out of the water in an imposing fashion like the old carrying craft when they were empty - see the pics of 'Baldock' below.

It is always worth making the journey down to Saul Junction to talk about your ideas with Phil Trotter at RWD. I am not saying that he will build a boat 60 ft long (or even 58 ft long) but if he recognises you as a genuine buyer with a real interest in owning a quality boat, he will be more than happy to discuss possibilities with you and he has been known to very flexible! :)

Have you found the deep draught an issue when travelling about? I know from your blog that you had a problem not getting into dry dock at Banbury, but what about notoriously shallow canals like the Upper Peak Forest or Ashby? I think a well designed tug is by far the most attractive style of of boat from the exterior and I find the low front end is a large part of the visual appeal, so having the bow rise high out of the water would defeat the object of trying to retain the low lying look while making good use of the foredeck. I'm trying to sell my wife on the idea that the foredeck could double as a bedroom underneath and a patio on top. :rolleyes:

One potential concern I have about tugs is whether they are subject to more damage to the cabin from tunnel sides, other boats out of control, etc.. Having low gunwhales means less thick strong hull to hit and more cabin exposed to collision. Maybe having the cabin sides a long way back is an advantage in this case. My two previous narrowboats were David Pipers which were noted for their relatively high gunwhales and these were very practical for long distance cruising, but I have no experience to draw on with tugs. I intend to travel almost continuously so unfortunately have to expect a lot of potential impacts on hard objects.

I like the RWD boats a great deal but I'm also rather impressed with the Mel Davis style:

082i.jpg

Anyone else think this a good looking boat?

The other doubt in my mind relates to the engine. The sound of a slow running diesel is "to die for", but is the maintenance much more onerous than for a normal marinised Japanese job? What has been your experience?

I'd love to get down to Saul, but at the moment I'm 8 time zones away in Arizona. I'm planning for when I retire and move back to England.

Yes, that Mel Davis/Lyons Boatyard tug is wonderful and is now extremely good value at just under £90000. I would be very tempted if I didn't have a very similar boat already (and could afford it) If I was starting from scratch as of today I would look at the two Phil mentioned plus Steve Priest et al at Brinklow, Phil Jones (if I had the time, someone I know waited nearly 5 years) and my first choice if I had both the time and the money would be Keith Ball at Stretton Wharf. I am nearly 62 so I don't have the time for Keith and I certainly no longer have the money although now he no longer needs to roll about in the mud perhaps both his delivery times and his cost will have reduced to realistic levels. The best boat would be one made by Keith from one of the working boat skeletons lurking around his yard - Enceladus (Star class) perhaps although you would go along way to better Magnet Man's