Tug style narrow boats

Featured Posts

A liitle known builder called Tony Francis based at Burton upon Trent. He built Hyperion....and I think shes fantastic, but then I would, wouldn't I?

If I won the lottery.....Barry Hawkins or Mel Davies.

Paula XX

Edited by Paula

If I had the money, Barry Hawkins.

I'm not sure if they still make them, but I've fallen in love with the Northwich Traders, based on the Large Northwich boats built by Yarwoods. Even though my ideal boat would be 60ft, I've planned this out and everything would fit in a 60 ft'er along with back cabin, engine 'ole and the rest of the cabin with all the normal 'stuff' in, I'd go for the 70 foot type instead of the 62 foot type.. not sure why?!

There's one for sale at Cowroast called 'Oslo'

Linkage -- > http://www.cowroastmarinas.co.uk/tring/boa...tml?boat=b_oslo

Good job they're only for show and not holding your boat together like times gone by otherwise your feet would of got wet (if the rivet was knocked off from below the waterline).

Richard, any pics of your boat? Would be interesting to see.

As always you pays your money and takes your choice.

The main factors being the hull look you want (not important to the majority of boat owners in my opinion which is a great pity)

How long you are prepared to wait

How much you are prepared to pay

The risk factor in losing money if using lesser known builder.

For me I am more than happy to recommend Tyler or Wilson who met my need for a nice looking boat, short lead time, good quality and competitive price

Charles

http://tuglyranarrowboatcharles.blogspot.c...es_archive.html

Liam there are a few on my gallery on page 5 of the members gallery but not a lot . if there is a specific pic you would like to see ask and i will add if i have one or can take one when i go to the boat this w/end

Looks like a nice boat :P

• 11 months later...

I'm not sure if they still make them, but I've fallen in love with the Northwich Traders, based on the Large Northwich boats built by Yarwoods. Even though my ideal boat would be 60ft, I've planned this out and everything would fit in a 60 ft'er along with back cabin, engine 'ole and the rest of the cabin with all the normal 'stuff' in, I'd go for the 70 foot type instead of the 62 foot type.. not sure why?!

There's one for sale at Cowroast called 'Oslo'

Linkage -- > http://www.cowroastmarinas.co.uk/tring/boa...tml?boat=b_oslo

Oslo was built by RW Davis at Saul junction. RWD have been making this type of boat since about 1996.

Regds AW

And make sure its got a dencent sized gas locker for two 13kg Propain Cylinders!!

Daniel

I would wholeheartedly agree with that we have four of those little ones, it's a pain when they all need changing...but on the other hand I can carry them myself if the donkey bloke is away...oops that should have read partner :rolleyes:

Barry Hawkins is a very good boat builder. We we went to see him in 2004 when we were considering having a boat built - that was before we found 'Alnwick'.

I'm not sure if they still make them, but I've fallen in love with the Northwich Traders, based on the Large Northwich boats built by Yarwoods.

I am sure that Barry Hawkins would make an excellent job of any style of boat but for a real 'Northwich Trader' it has got to be R. W. Davis & Son Ltd. - yes we are biased because we have the prototype but if anyone is looking to invest in this style of boat we would be pleased to invite them aboard 'Alnwick' to judge for themselves. There is more about the 'Northwich Trader' class of boats on our website - here. The other benefit of the RWD boats is that they have enough room under the tug deck to provide a very generously sized double berth.

As a matter of interest, NB 'Oslo' which was sold some time ago was the third vessel of the class to be built.

Roger Farringdon (Ivy Bridge Boats) based at bottom Lock Braunston.

We did, David and it is a "Tug" not style. :rolleyes:

You should have seen it move that Dutch Vlet that got stuck near us, it may have had 200hp of DAF, but some clean water and our Perkins was what moved it.

Aftwerwards a bottle of wine appeared alongwith one of the crew muttering "what have you got in there? I've never seen a narrow boat do that before.

Sorry, did I say we were well pleased with it ;)

Looking forward to Christmas in a "Working boat Cabin"

John & Kathy

Perhaps not this one though ?.....

Link to ebay "Tug" ending soon.

Many boats seem to be listed on eBay repeatedly, but this one more than most, I think....

Ends within the half hour, if anyone wants a project!

Yeah that one always seems to be relisted on ebay. I first saw it for sale months ago, and it's still on Apollo Duck and Boats & Outboards.

Nice looking boat, but could do with being that little bit longer.

Yeah that one always seems to be relisted on ebay. I first saw it for sale months ago, and it's still on Apollo Duck and Boats & Outboards.

Nice looking boat, but could do with being that little bit longer.

I don't think he will sell it till he lowers the reserve!

It's basicly a 43ft sailaway and I think he wanted £23k for it

Perhaps not this one though ?.....

Link to ebay "Tug" ending soon.

Many boats seem to be listed on eBay repeatedly, but this one more than most, I think....

Ends within the half hour, if anyone wants a project!

To be honest that is not really a tug, it is more like a short narrowboat with a funny cabin. True Tugs sit level in the water with about 9" freeboard along their entire length, and have an extended cabin and long covered foredeck.

Edited by David Schweizer

To be honest that is not really a tug, it is more like a short narrowboat with a funny cabin. True Tugs sit level in the water with about 9" freeboard along their entire length, and have an extended cabin and long covered foredeck.

"Hull constructed in 1996 to custom specifications.By a very reputable boat builder", this is a quote from the advert.

Can anyone explain why you would not NAME the builder of a boat if they were 'very reputable'. Names like Les Allen, Dennis Cooper, Malcom Braine among others (its clearly none of these) would inspire me but not naming them does seem to be really a bit weird.

Happens quite often. WHY?

I don't think he will sell it till he lowers the reserve!

It's basicly a 43ft sailaway and I think he wanted £23k for it

I think its a good project boat and could potentially be worth more once complete that it cost to build.

Buy £23k

Finish £8k

Total cost £ 31k

Finished value based on £750 to £1k per foot rough rule of thumb for good spec is up to £40k, therefore about £8k more than it cost to build however as has already been noted its a bit too small, so thats going to limit its appeal even if nicely finished

Charles

I agree with David - I think 'tug' is a bit of a misnomer.

Also I have no idea why you wouldn't name the "reputable builder" is it were a well known one. It does seem to happen a lot, I agree.

I'm not sure about it being able to achieve anything like £750 to £1K per foot if nicely completed either.

It's a 10 year old shell, and a Lister SR4 is a fairly old, (if reliable) engine, and not exactly something with a traditional feel to it either.

My reaction to this kind of thing is that when they come up over, and over again, then the price being looked for is probably optimistic.

I agree with David - I think 'tug' is a bit of a misnomer.

Also I have no idea why you wouldn't name the "reputable builder" is it were a well known one. It does seem to happen a lot, I agree.

I'm not sure about it being able to achieve anything like £750 to £1K per foot if nicely completed either.

It's a 10 year old shell, and a Lister SR4 is a fairly old, (if reliable) engine, and not exactly something with a traditional feel to it either.

My reaction to this kind of thing is that when they come up over, and over again, then the price being looked for is probably optimistic.

Perhaps its because the 'reputable builder' was someone well known for doing complete bodges. Reputations aren't always earnt from GOOD works after all.