If gas was not an option.....

LoneEcho

Featured Posts

Anyone got one of these, and how suitable as an extra heater for an inland boat. Also what amount of water vapour would there be per 1 litre of meths/alcohol used ?

Origo heat pal.

They're just so darn ugly!

They would kick out the same amount of moisture as an origo hob (same burner inside) which is not noticeable, compared to the pan of spuds, boiling away, on top.

They're just so darn ugly!

800042.JPG

A thing of beauty you mean, but they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So burning alcohol is not anything like using one of those portable calor gas heaters that give off a hell of a lot of water ? Sorry probably should have paid more attention in my chemistry lessons !

Edited by laurieb

<snip>

So burning alcohol is not anything like using one of those portable calor gas heaters that give off a hell of a lot of water ?

<more snip>

Well, if my sums are right, burning 1 Kg Alcohol (ethanol) will give off 1.17 Kg water, and burning 1 Kg of calor gas (propane) will give off 1.63 Kg water. So on a weight for weight basis, the alcohol wins.

Trouble is, when burnt, alcohol gives off less heat than calor gas - around 40% less.

So, to get the same amount of heat, there is very little in it in terms of the water produced. According to my sums ;-)

Graham

We are looking to have a boat built in the next 2 years and hope to be able to have a Heritage diesel fired range cooker, twin oven/hob, fitted. Not a cheap option circa £6000, there are cheaper single oven/hob models available . Vintage also make diesel ranges. The change to Bio diesel in 2011 will affect everyone that uses diesel for whatever purpose, I don't know to what extent just yet. I am sure it will bring a fair amount of publicity in its own right. The Boatman solid fuel range is another cheaper option. I purchased a Cobb bbq this year, what a gem, oven/bbq/fryer all in one. I will be bringing it on the boat for use on the towpath/under ventilated cratch. To boil a kettle if on the move a 1 kw shouldn't be a problem depending on inverter , a suitcase generator is an option when moored to save on batteries. Solid fuel stove would boil kettle as well. Hot summers are the problem for any stove/range use. There is no one answer, it depends on your pocket and individual preference. Hope this is of some use, it is my first post so may have gone over old ground.

• 4 months later...

No-one has mentioned electric inversion hobs, surely a two plate run off an inverter while the engine is running would be an option - plus a microwave as an oven? Total about 4/5Kw with all going ? Or am I overlooking something?

Maybe Soldthehouse's fears, are the same as mine. I am not going to state that gas is less safe than solid fuel or indeed any other type of fuel. I am sure faulty wiring has also started a few boat fires over the years, it certainly has in homes. So mine may well be an irrational fear, which I accept, but you can not do much about irrational fear even if you do know the facts. I know that flying is statistically the safest form of transport, but it does not stop me clenching the arm rest for the first two minutes of take off.

So yes in my opinion you are right, but gas may not be for me.

I understand it must be awful to have a friend or relative that has been killed by a gas explosion or in any other way for that matter but

millions and millions of times a day someone uses a gas cooker and the facts are that you are more likely to win the lottery than be killed on your boat by a gas explosion. Gas is by far the best form of cooking but in the summer we barby about 4 times a week and eat in the pub the other 3 with very ocasional home cooking times. Having tried diesel cookers I for one will not be buying one any time soon. The only other alternative is solid fuel which is great, but a tad warm at times.

We are looking to have a boat built in the next 2 years and hope to be able to have a Heritage diesel fired range cooker, twin oven/hob, fitted. Not a cheap option circa £6000, there are cheaper single oven/hob models available . Vintage also make diesel ranges. The change to Bio diesel in 2011 will affect everyone that uses diesel for whatever purpose, I don't know to what extent just yet. I am sure it will bring a fair amount of publicity in its own right. The Boatman solid fuel range is another cheaper option. I purchased a Cobb bbq this year, what a gem, oven/bbq/fryer all in one. I will be bringing it on the boat for use on the towpath/under ventilated cratch. To boil a kettle if on the move a 1 kw shouldn't be a problem depending on inverter , a suitcase generator is an option when moored to save on batteries. Solid fuel stove would boil kettle as well. Hot summers are the problem for any stove/range use. There is no one answer, it depends on your pocket and individual preference. Hope this is of some use, it is my first post so may have gone over old ground.

:rolleyes:

Blimey, good first post........I hope you mean Diesel suitcase gennie ? Petrol gennies make gas look like an inert fuel...............

Been using one of these for the last couple of weeks due to our temporary flat having no gas, quite impressed with it, it's 1.3 kw, haven't used a plug in monitor to check consumption yet but it fries, grilles, roasts, toasts, bakes and does oven chips a treat. If I had to forego gas this would fit the bill I think, along with a microwave (does veg nicely), instant boiler such as a Breville Quickcup (been using one of those too, very good) maybe throw in a slow cooker. With a butch inverter/charger decent battery bank and a macho alternator you'd have convenient and quick charging. And a genny backup if you want.

Sorted.

How do you know- you've never tried it ;)

Well back in the days when experimenting with mixtures of common household chemicals wasn't necessarily considered terrorism (and I was young and foolish), I've come considerably closer to blowing myself up than I'm comfortable with. I still have 10 fingers and both eyes, but more by luck than judgement.

• 5 months later...

Saw this and thought, hmmm, this looks an interesting thread, I will take a look. Then realized I was the OP ! I reluctantly, and probably thanks to this thread, did have gas installed on the boat. Still very wary, and most of the time it is turned off, but did see that it was probably the best option. So thanks all for your input. :cheers:

I personally will use a raeburn (rather than aga), for cooking in winter.

However I echo the thought of NOT using Diesel cookers, without exception they are rubbish.

In your scenario I would seriously consider a baby Belling (revered by generations of students, and runs on 13amp)or a modern combi oven)

Spirit cookers?, no, have you seen the price of meths?. Plus They do smell in confined spaces.

Spirit cookers?, no, have you seen the price of meths?. Plus They do smell in confined spaces.

Meths can be got a lot cheaper than the 500ml bottles in DIY sheds and either mine doesn't smell, I had an adequately ventilated boat or I've got used to the smell but guests never noticed, either.

That said I have gas, on the new boat, but it will be replaced by an Origo, eventually.

Edited by carlt