Alternator paralleling

Schnid

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me if alternator paralleling does in fact reduce battery charging times by a realistic amount? Having read one or two threads on the subject (alternator paralleling that is) I’m afraid I’m none the wiser.

I have a 70A alternator feeding my domestic batteries (4 off, 110 Ah) and a separate 70A alternator for my starter battery

Aqualine, on their website now offers Smartbank as an optional extra and says that the Smartbank system is “a clever box of tricks that links the two alternators to increase their output and reduce your engine running time for charging.”

As I’ve been considering buying SmartBank Advanced for some time now I’m hoping that this is true..

However, I asked Merlin, the supplier of Smartbank, to confirm that it would be suitable for my set up and the response I had was:

“This (Smartbank) is probably going to be of small use as if you use the two alternators together may result in both alternators charging and giving equal output there for raising your charging power however more than likely they will fight with each other and this will either result in one doing all the work and the other will do nothing or worst case scenario they will constantly flip and reduce the charge rate.

In my opinion you have a good system using two alternators on separate banks and your best bet would be to opt for the Smartgauge to give you the ability to monitor, and if you want to increase your charging capabilities go for a high output low RPM alternator like the Balmar series.”

Who is right?

John

Edited by NB Alnwick
inappropriate font sizing removed.

Can anyone tell me if alternator paralleling does in fact reduce battery charging times by a realistic amount? Having read one or two threads on the subject (alternator paralleling that is) I’m afraid I’m none the wiser.

I have a 70A alternator feeding my domestic batteries (4 off, 110 Ah) and a separate 70A alternator for my starter battery

Aqualine, on their website now offers Smartbank as an optional extra and says that the Smartbank system is “a clever box of tricks that links the two alternators to increase their output and reduce your engine running time for charging.”

As I’ve been considering buying SmartBank Advanced for some time now I’m hoping that this is true..

However, I asked Merlin, the supplier of Smartbank, to confirm that it would be suitable for my set up and the response I had was:

“This (Smartbank) is probably going to be of small use as if you use the two alternators together may result in both alternators charging and giving equal output there for raising your charging power however more than likely they will fight with each other and this will either result in one doing all the work and the other will do nothing or worst case scenario they will constantly flip and reduce the charge rate.

In my opinion you have a good system using two alternators on separate banks and your best bet would be to opt for the Smartgauge to give you the ability to monitor, and if you want to increase your charging capabilities go for a high output low RPM alternator like the Balmar series.”

Who is right?

John

Merlin are on the right track but probably for the wrong reasons...

A 440Ah leisure bank wont like taking more than about 88A for any length of time, it will just tend to get warm and this will shorten your battery life.

If you do parallel two 70A alternators onto a 440Ah battery bank it wouldn't even demand more than one alternator could produce for more than a few minues, after this there would be no benefit.

If you want to increase your charging capabilities then a high output low RPM alternator would help - however;

The major benefit of most special alternators such as the Balmar is that they come with a far better regulator then the standard automotive alternator fitted to most narrow boat engines and this can probably be achieved fairly cheaply and easily by modifying your existing domestic alternator.

I am guessing here but suspect you have an Isuzu engine and if this is the case then it probably has a variety of Lucas A127 alternator fitted and this can be fitted with the "tractor" regulator which should reduce your charging times significantly.

A monitoring system of some description is an excellent idea, then you will actually know what is going on and be able to use your system to best effect. Have a look at the Smartguage or the Victron BMV-600S.

Regards

Arnot

Well maybe, but in the computer world "font size" is surely the more commonly used term ? In Microsoft land, for example, the Office suite surely refers to "font size" not "type face size".

As I'm looking at it on a computer, you seem to be splitting hairs, and I'm not really convinced of the greater "rightness" of your offering!

Back on topic, I think the man who set up his own alternator paralleling still watches these forums - I wonder if this will nudge him into contributing again ?

I enjoyed the alternator paralleling thread; it was both practical and entertaining and frustrating for some who were trying to implement what was emergant.

The conventional wisdom and, I stand to be corrected, is that if two alts are working in tandem then one is likely to take the lead and the other virtually shut done pretty quickly so that not a lot gets gained by any extra fancy electrickery.

I had a single 70a alt charging the starter batt and via a split charge relay to the domestics.

I added a matching alt automatically relay connected to charging the domestic bank. The green alt is charging light as apposed to the red charge warning light stays on all the time on both alts.

I can run a washing machine with the engine running with this set up through an inverter which was the aim. I never investigated further about which alt supplied the most, etc, cause it did what I wanted it to do.

Probably the best answer is, it might. Alternator paralleling, slow speed machines, remote regulators and suchlike are all good solutions to various problems. The difficulty is identifying which problems you have! If you intend to fit a battery monitor then that would be the place to start as that would be a source of information to help guide the selection of any enhancements. Gibbo will be along soon no doubt and his is the word of the lore.