Starter motor for 1.5 BMC needed

enviropc

Featured Posts

If you can get down the Shropie as far as Whitchurch.

Call in at Viking Afloat and ask for Brian .He sorted out a similar problem a few weeks back, that had baffled all other yards in the area.

Many thanks guys, ill whip the whole starter off i think and drive upto Viking as i live in Shrewsbury so its not too far.

Nobody has mentioned you can get similar issues if there is any fault introducing resistance somewhere in the supply to the solenoid, (typically a dirty or corroded joint).

It would be worth dismantling all connections and cleaning them, (easy) before whipping the starter off, (some on here have found this hard work, if it's not easily accessed).

Not saying it is this, but worth eliminating.

Might just stop you taking it to an auto or marine electrician, only to have it returned as "no fault found".

As well as connections, a faulty isolator switch can also cause intermittent clicking rather than starting. I had one that introduced this fault exactly the same time as I had to be turning my engine off in most Thames locks - guess who was the last one out when this happened... :blush: )

Nobody has mentioned you can get similar issues if there is any fault introducing resistance somewhere in the supply to the solenoid, (typically a dirty or corroded joint).

It would be worth dismantling all connections and cleaning them, (easy) before whipping the starter off, (some on here have found this hard work, if it's not easily accessed).

Might just stop you taking it to an auto or marine electrician, only to have it returned as "no fault found".

As well as connections, a faulty isolator switch can also cause intermittent clicking rather than starting. I had one that introduced this fault exactly the same time as I had to be turning my engine off in most Thames locks - guess who was the last one out when this happened... :blush: )

Hi,

Alan is right here, all too often it is suggested that sudden failure is caused by a component when it is in fact caused by a simple, easily cured problem. It's worth checking all the electrical connections, especially the battery terminals - I too discovered this problem on a trip up the Thames.

It's a amazing how often an electrical fault can be cured by cleaning battery terminals! or in an emergency a gentle tap with a 'BS'.

Thames lock keepers are only tolerant to a point and that point is quickly reached if they are expecting a Salters trip boat through.

Leo.

Quite so. The commonest cause of the symptoms you describe (and they are the commonest symptons of failure) is either as Alan says a voltage drop in the solenoid circuit or brush wear. The next time it fails try shorting from B+ to solenoid terminal, if that works it suggests a volt drop problem, then try a tap on the starter body with an impact adjusting tool (hammer)if that works it suggests brush wear. If it is brush wear then try and identify it and get them replaced before the comm gets burned.

Edited to add, it is in my experience most unlikely to be the solenoid itself but this depends on whether your clicks are faint little ticks or mighty clunks.

The clicks are quite loud.

Its the same clicking as when you have a low battery but it only happens once on each turn of the key rather than a rapid low voltage clicking (i think that makes sence) :)

Sounds like solenoid contacts to me. The last time my starter played me up, I cleaned everything, and made sure everything was free. All wiring checked, battery fully charged.

Turned key - CLACK! every time. Proved solenoid by placing hefty old screwdriver across terminal nuts, whereupon motor engaged and ran.

Dismantled solenoid from starter (see upper diagram in SR2 starter thread - yours is almost identical), removed nuts bolts etc. unsoldered wires coming through end cap and removed burnt brass contacts, which also had an element of verdigris on them. The contacts would not clean satisfactorily so I turned them over to reveal nice 'new' flat surfaces. Reassembled, fitted, connected and hey presto, one 'new' solenoid for the cost of a little time, patience and solder.

......makes mental note to obtain spare new solenoid for the spares box! ;)

And me. Why do canal boats seem to suffer from this? Vehicles with the same starter rarely have contact problems and even salty water boats not often.

Maybe because they spend more time just being damp and cold with poor airflow?

No idea really, that's just a guess.

Tony