Engine service

Mary 1

Featured Posts

Can you please tell me how much for oil change new filters, top up gear box, as the canal rescue have asked if I would like them to do it for £110

Mary

Hi Mary sounds pretty reasonable to me, though think gearbox oil should be changed not just topped up. Just a thought...Canal River Rescue are just that.

I didn't know they were into servicing, no doubt I have not just kept up with them

I agree with those who say it's a lot of money, for what is being done, (if that is all), but many marine engineers, (either at a boatyard or mobile), will charge considerably more than this for a "service", without doing a great deal more.

A service though would normally include things like adjusting tappets. Is what RCR are offering limited to just what you have listed ?

It really is remarkably easy to do oil and filter changes yourself, although you may end up spending a bit more on cleaning yourself and your clothes up, particularly if it's the first time you have attempted it.

Hi Mary

Pay the money but ask them to change the gearbox oil. It is a good price to what I have been charged.

Watch what they do and then in 250Hrs engine run time do it yourself. ;)

Just done my own oil change (first for me) and it was a pain in the ass and the back and the shoulder, my engine is not that accessible, at one point I said never again. :lol:

If you do it yourself, depending on oil and filter cost, you should save about £50.

Please dispose of the waste oil correctly, at least if RCR do it for you they will dispose of it..

I think the RCR price is about right, and you also can trust them to do it right. I used to get mine serviced locally and the last one cost £120. I watched it being done and now do it myself for about £40. RCR used to offer an "accompanied" service where they do it with you and show you what to do.

Edited to add that they still offer that service: http://rivercanalrescue.co.uk/courses-personal-engine-maintenance.php

Edited by rgreg

Can you please tell me how much for oil change new filters, top up gear box, as the canal rescue have asked if I would like them to do it for £110

Mary

sounds like a decent price to me. I have paid anything from £100 - £140. I have never serviced my own engine in 3,000 hrs and a service every 250 hrs so about 4 times a year. What I normally do when in an area is speak to local boaters and see who they would recomend, I do insist on original filters in my case Isuzu.

I recently did the first service on our new boat engine, changed the gearbox oil at 25 hours and then went on to do the engine oil and filter at 50 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed it, i used to do my own car maintenance but these days they are too complicated to do as you need diagnostic software etc. The oil change and filter probably cost me £50 but i did use original filter and EP Barrus Oil as its new. It was a bit fiddly but for me a worthwhile excercise - my other half i have to say was less interested and did not like being used as the 'can you pass' person :)

RCR do a good job getting boats started, so I suspect that their servicing work will be of a comparable standard. A factor in their price for the job will be that their engineer will have to travel to service your boat - but on the positive side that means that you do not beed to move fom your mooring to have the work done.

Hi,

just wondering what exactly is involved these days for a service (ours is an Isuzu 35). Also hoping to do the service myself, but about all I can find to do is the oil (engine & gearbox) change, Filter (oil & water separator), check coolant (& replace/refill etc.) and generally check things look OK (e.g. clean, no loose nuts, cables, worn belts etc.).

On a modern engine is there anything else? - a really daft question coming up - do marine engines have cam-belts?

??

Or is the fact that I have to ask the question an indication that I need to get someone to do it for me?

We always service ours ourself. In parts alone (genuine Volvo Penta) it costs between £250 and £300 for a full service depending on where you get the parts from, admittedly our engine is a little more complicated than your average narrowboat engine.

For an oil and filter change, which we have to do evey 100 hours it costs us around about £30 including a genuine oil filter and takes about an hour. The tricky bit for us is getting the oil hot enough to pump out easily.

Other items we change on a regular basis are fuel filters, every 200 hours. Air filter, every 200 hours. Supecharger oil, every 200 hours and impellor every 200 hours if not changed before hand.

Each engine has its own service shedule, check what the manual recommends you change and when. It may be worth getting an engineer in the first time to service your engine, then watch what they do and do it yourself the next time. On the whole most service items are easy to change.

a really daft question coming up - do marine engines have cam-belts?

Not a daft question at all.....

Most marinised diesels used to push canal boats along are still fairly old fashioned "industrial" type designs, with the emphasis on simplicity and robustness, rather than on silky smooth running or high performance.

Generally there seems to be a view that engines driving an overhead cam with a belt are not the best suited for use in a narrow boat environment, and whilst some such examples have been marinised, most are still not, I believe.

Probably why an engine like the BMC 1500/1800 has proved such a popular and enduring choice, but something like the Ford XLD was only very rarely used.

I don't think you'll findf your typical newer Isuzu or Beta is a much more sophisticated design than the BMC, (though it will likely be a bit quieter and leak a few less fluids!....)

<snip>

I don't think you'll findf your typical newer Isuzu or Beta is a much more sophisticated design than the BMC, (though it will likely be a bit quieter and leak a few less fluids!....)

It isn't leaking fluids, it's marking out it's territory

Richard

HI,

Going back to the original post, it's a lady asking for service details, might be worth carefully enquiring about her mechanical ability and availabilty of special tools etc. before suggesting she carries out the work herself.

It may well be that the figure quoted is reasonable, as hopefully the service would be carried out be an organisation with reasonable work ethics and there would be a fair chance of a recall and redress if there were any problems.

No connection with RCR and not casting aspertions on the abilities of others.

Leo

Edited by LEO

I thought that RCR offered cheap servicing if you were covered by their rescue services, on the basis that a well serviced engine is less likely to break down, so they're doing themselves a favour too.

£110 doesn't sound amazingly cheap, so it might be worth checking with them if you do have cover, to see if there's a better deal. On the other hand it's at the better end of the quotes I've heard for that sort of work, if you aren't entitled to a mega-discount. The labour generally costs a lot more than the parts, unless you own a boat like Phylis'. That's why DIY will save you a lot of money, if you're interested in giving it a go.

As for cam-belts, my Mitsubishi has one. Mine was an after-market conversion rather than a boat engine from new, but I'd be interested to know if the company who marinise and re-brand them these days use belts or chains.

• Greenie 1

>> £110 doesn't sound amazingly cheap, so it might be worth checking with them if you do have cover, to see if there's a better deal. On the other hand it's at the better end of the quotes I've heard for that sort of work <<<

If you want monkeys, pay peanuts. If you want a chance of it done properly (and early signs of faults identified) get a professional - and pay a professional charge for the job.

£110 sounds reasonable to me, assuming all the right fluids and filters are going to be used.

But what do I know? I do it meself becasue it's fairly straightforward. Get an owner's manual for the engine and enjoy your bedtime reading. Better still, invest £90 or so with Malcolm at Top Lock Training - to do his basic diesel engine course. It's a wonderful confidence builder!

I think the unanswered question here is whether the cost quoted is just for an oil and oil filter change, or for a fuller service, to include things like tappets, and fuel filter change.

If it's only an oil change, I'd say it's too expensive, but if the other items are included, it compares well to other professional charges for the job.

Could OP clarify if it's a service, or just an oil and oil filter change, as the post can be read either way.

Brilliant, Richard, definitely the Quote Of The Day. Thinking of his boat's name, I hope MJG takes note.

Spotted

- but I thought it was cats not dogs that did this,

and any way I have a nice shiny Blue Isuzu not a Morris Minor engine in mine...

I think the unanswered question here is whether the cost quoted is just for an oil and oil filter change, or for a fuller service, to include things like tappets, and fuel filter change.

The RCR service is an engine oil and filter change, plus a gearbox top-up if required. At the same time they'll give the engine a quick visual inspection and make any recommendations such as "put anti-freeze in the system" or "replace engine mounts". Tappet adjustment is not included in that £110.

Tony

But of course "adjust tappets" would be another recommendation if required and I'm sure the engineer would be happy to do it for you at the same time at minimal extra cost.