Composting Lavatoirs

Bones

Featured Posts

Since faeces are 85 to 90% water, the drying out process alone reduces the weight and volume dramatically and that is without the microbial decomposition.

20Kg of finished compost could be derived from up to 1/5 tonne of raw product, which confirms a previous poster's figure of 260cc contributed per person per day for 6 months.

If a maceration toilet uses 2l to flush (some use more and some less), then the same 6 months of faeces would have its weight and volume increased by 800% to about 1 & 1/2 tonnes.

A dump through or cassette toilet flushes with much less water, but add volume and weight they certainly do.

You can choose to produce, store and pay to pump out 1500 litres of liquidised faeces every 6 months or to produce and store just 20Kg of composted toilet waste.

You can choose to house a 'black water' tank with a capacity of hundreds of litres or you can store a couple of 20l lidded buckets.

You can choose to carry and flush away 20Kg of waste in a cassette twice a week.

These posts will be read by thousands of people over the coming years who are Googling around composting toilets. They will look at the facts and choose.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Since faeces are 85 to 90% water, the drying out process alone reduces the weight and volume dramatically and that is without the microbial decomposition.

20Kg of finished compost could be derived from up to 1/5 tonne of raw product, which confirms a previous poster's figure of 260cc contributed per person per day for 6 months.

If a maceration toilet uses 2l to flush (some use more and some less), then the same 6 months of faeces would have its weight and volume increased by 800% to about 1 & 1/2 tonnes.

A dump through or cassette toilet flushes with much less water, but add volume and weight they certainly do.

You can choose to produce, store and pay to pump out 1500 litres of liquidised faeces every 6 months or to produce and store just 20Kg of composted toilet waste.

You can choose to house a 'black water' tank with a capacity of hundreds of litres or you can store a couple of 20l lidded buckets.

You can choose to carry and flush away 20Kg of waste in a cassette twice a week.

These posts will be read by thousands of people over the coming years who are Googling around composting toilets. They will look at the facts and choose.

If you have dehydrated the poo so much there won't be a great deal of composting going on

7 hours ago, Jerra said:

Point of order M'lud.   I have no recollection of saying “huge volumes of shit” so why put it in quotation marks.  If I did please quote the post number.

You can't argue that many are not happy with the idea of storing waste out of the way hidden in a sealed tank, if they aren't happy with that I can't imagi9ne them being happy with buckets they have to store and move around can you?

First, you are correct and I apologise. I picked your post as an example of the reported nature of the concern but the bit in quotes was from elsewhere in this or a similar thread.

Secondly, I'm afraid it's too late at night (and possibly, too much Laphroaig) for me to tackle the double negatives in your second paragraph - but, to be fair, I wasn't arguing anything, I was suggesting that possibly there would not be a problem with buckets having to be stored and moved around, there simply would not be enough volume to create an issue.

6 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Choose composting toilets, electric fans, little storage buckets, brass bog roll holders. 

Choose portta potties, sack barrows, hernias, elsan blue, looking for an elsan in the middle of the night. 

Choose pump out, ongoing costs, a continual  faint wiff of poo, a shiny ceramic bowl

I chose not to choose bogs, I chose something else. 

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Choose composting toilets, electric fans, little storage buckets, brass bog roll holders. 

Choose portta potties, sack barrows, hernias, elsan blue, looking for an elsan in the middle of the night. 

Choose pump out, ongoing costs, a continual  faint wiff of poo, a shiny ceramic bowl

:):):)

So having now run into the hundreds this thread can I ask a GENUINE question of one of you composting lovers PLEASE? As I understand it ( I may be wrong ) one does the business in a bin liner inside a bucket and the urine goes into a separate container for disposal yes? ok so the hard stuff then composts down which takes approx. 3 months? so does that mean each day the thing is used as new poo is added the 3 months starts again? If so when do you actualy have composted poo or in reality do people with honesty here please, simply close the bag containing poo at differing stages of decomposition and chuck it in a bin?

• Greenie 1

Hi Mr, Smelly,

I understand that the expensive composting loos hasten the composting process with additional fans, heaters and stirrers, but I imagine that for the very reason you highlight, even those require an additional period of 'rest' outside of the toilet to mature. These are outside of my experience.

A simple, cheap, home made separator toilet certainly needs a three bucket rotation to achieve a crumbly smell free compost. Also required is the addition of a little sawdust or peat to improve the texture and aid the composting process, plus an occasional shake of the bucket or stir to mix things up a little. Bucket 1 is in use for 2-3 months, then it is stored for 4-6 months before emptying and becoming bucket 1 again.

Some people, I'm sure, just use the separator concept because it is cheap and blockage and smell free. It is very possible that they only use a single bucket, make no attempt to achieve compost, but just tip the tiny volume of poo 'nuggets' down the Elsan sluice every three weeks or so. It's not composting, but I suppose that a couple of Kg every three weeks is better than 20Kg twice a week for a cassette user.

Where I live there is no public access, it is coastal and therefore tidal and I am surrounded by marshland, consequently, disposing of compost and urine is easy and safe both for the public and the environment.

I can't speak for people who chuck poo in the hedgerow, or those who occasionally empty their cassette toilet into the canal, but given the relative number of users of each, I'll bet that the latter is a far bigger problem. That being said, it would be quite wrong to accuse every cassette toilet user of such disgusting behaviour.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

What did you choose Rusty,a Colostomy bag?

5 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

And Top (Skid)marks to you.

With all this piss taking going on, there will only be a need to empty the solids:)

Mind you,as this topic was started in 2006, they're probably well composted by now. 

Edited by rusty69

5 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Where I live there is no public access, it is coastal and therefore tidal and I am surrounded by marshland, consequently, disposing of compost and urine is easy and safe both for the public and the environment.

ah, no wonder

"The Chelmer and Blackwater is indeed a canal, but very poorly maintained and sometimes impassable because of weed build-up"

• Haha 1

I shouldn't think that the weed in the canal is because someone weed in the canal, but it might have contributed!

Nitrate is the nutrient that wee is guilty of adding to river water. It does contribute to the unwanted growth of algae, in fact it is the only ingredient of urine that could be described as in the least bit harmful to river water, however, since nitrate only makes up 50 parts per million of urine, if every crew member of every boat weed in the canal network, the nitrate would be so heavily diluted that the algae wouldn't notice any difference. Not that I am advocating weeing in the canal, but just using it as an illustration.

Just for comparison, Southern water allow a maximum nitrate level of 50ppm in drinking water, the same as in raw urine. 

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

ah, no wonder

"The Chelmer and Blackwater is indeed a canal, but very poorly maintained and sometimes impassable because of weed build-up"

Perhaps pump the blackwater into the blackwater, thats probably how it got its name:)

Most sailing boats have sea toilets and would certainly pump out directly into the tidal River Blackwater quite legally. 

Crew members produce relatively tiny amounts of urine and only a tiny amount of that, (5%) is anything other than water. 

Urine is not the environmental problem, being essentially sterile and hugely diluted, but faeces certainly is: According to the water authority anyway.

3 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Most sailing boats have sea toilets and would certainly pump out directly into the tidal River Blackwater quite legally. 

That's certainly what we used to do whilst sailing the R. Blackwater. 

44 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Crew members produce relatively tiny amounts of urine and only a tiny amount of that, (5%) is anything other than water. 

Urine is not the environmental problem, being essentially sterile and hugely diluted, but faeces certainly is: According to the water authority anyway.

So this toilet system that you have high praise for against all other systems, involves emptying raw urine into the medium you are living on, mmm, and we are still not sure what happens to the solid mater...

3 minutes ago, rasputin said:

So this toilet system that you have high praise for against all other systems, involves emptying raw urine into the medium you are living on, mmm, and we are still not sure what happens to the solid mater...

Did he say that?