New Fridge - A Few Teething Problems

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

We collected our new Shoreline RR102 fridge from Midland Chandlers on Friday and installed it later that day. The fridge is working well and uses far less power than our old Engel fridge, however were have couple of problems.

The Shoreline website states that the fridge door is reversable, but there are no instructions as to how this is achieved, and no evidence of any means of removing the hinge plates, Has anyone reversed the door on their Shoreline Fridge, if so could they please share the method.

The second problem is that the new fridge would appear to have no supression on the compressor, causing it to interfere with radio reception. We did not use the TV so do not know whether it has any effect on TV reception yet. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did they solve it?

We collected our new Shoreline RR102 fridge from Midland Chandlers on Friday and installed it later that day. The fridge is working well and uses far less power than our old Engel fridge, however were have couple of problems.

The Shoreline website states that the fridge door is reversable, but there are no instructions as to how this is achieved, and no evidence of any means of removing the hinge plates, Has anyone reversed the door on their Shoreline Fridge, if so could they please share the method.

The second problem is that the new fridge would appear to have no supression on the compressor, causing it to interfere with radio reception. We did not use the TV so do not know whether it has any effect on TV reception yet. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did they solve it?

I can't help with the hinges but I guess some trim must be removeable to reveal bolts that hold the brackets on.

The interference though, is likely ( almost certainly) to be cured by fitting a capacitor ( or two or three of different values) over the motor terminals or as near as you can get to the motor, and possibly in-line inductors, again as near to the motor input as possible. If this is something you want to do, I could look up and get some Maplin part nos of the components required....

Nick

I can't help with the hinges but I guess some trim must be removeable to reveal bolts that hold the brackets on.

The interference though, is likely ( almost certainly) to be cured by fitting a capacitor ( or two or three of different values) over the motor terminals or as near as you can get to the motor, and possibly in-line inductors, again as near to the motor input as possible. If this is something you want to do, I could look up and get some Maplin part nos of the components required....

Nick

I may take you up on your offer, but at the moment I am a bit reluctant to modify a unit which is brand new and still under warranty.

I had assumed that something like a capacitor might be the solution, but would have thought that a unit costing £400 and marketed specifically for use on Boats and Vehicles would already have supression built into the curcuits. (my ancient Engel fridge caused no problems)

I think perhaps a phone call to Shoreline in Monday will be my first call, under their "In the unlikely event of you experiencing problems with your appliance" clause.

Edited by David Schweizer

I think perhaps a phone call to Shoreline in Monday will be my first call, under their "In the unlikely event of you experiencing problems with your appliance" clause.

Agreed. Mutter darkly about the EU electromagnetic compatibility directive and "CE" marking too.

MP.

Agreed. Mutter darkly about the EU electromagnetic compatibility directive and "CE" marking too.

MP.

Thanks MP. I have googled the EU electromagnetic compatibility directive, and Fridges are not exempted from the regulations , which appears to have become law in the UK in 1996.

It could be an interesting conversation, I will keep you posted.

Well, I have just spoken to Shoreline. Whatever happened to company staff being polite and helpful? It is of course all my fault and the design of my electical system, and nothing to do with the fridge despite the fact that the previous fridge did not cause this problem with the same wiring,

After further exploration, they admitted that they have come across this problem a couple of times in the past, and they can sell me a replacement shielded electronioc unit that will cure the problem But could not tell me the cost as they do not keepit in stock! I asked why is it not fitted in the first instance if there is a known problem, and I was informed that it was down to cost, but they went very non commital about the unit complying with the EU electromagnetic compatibility directive. When I suggested that if such occurances were so rare, why did they not offer a replacement unit free of charge as a gesture of good will, they agereed to look into this possibilty for the future.

In the meantime they have suggested that I try wrapping the unit in aluminium tinfoil to see if it eliminates the problem, how Heath Robinson is that? As I do not know how to recognise the electronic unit they have agreed to email me a diagram, but I am still concerned as to whether I should be modifying a brand new unit which is still under warranty.

After my interesting conversation with Shoreline, I spoke to Midland Chndlers, who supplied the fridge. They were both polite and helpful, they had not come across the proble before, and offered to speak to Shoreline to try and resolve the matter. However, the initial reaction of the person I spoke to (ironicly a former Refrigeration Engineer) was that it was more likely to be a fault on the fridge than the wiring on my boat.

Of course if the problem cannot be resolved without any further expenditure on my part, then the Fridge could be determined as unfit for purpose and I would be entitled to a full refund under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act.

Well, I have just spoken to Shoreline. Whatever happened to company staff being polite and helpful? It is of course all my fault and the design of my electical system, and nothing to do with the fridge despite the fact that the previous fridge did not cause this problem with the same wiring,

Does your radio run from internal batteries or from 12V?

Something that may help to diagnose the problem is try connecting a 12v battery directly to the fridge via a fuse, and see if interference remains.

cheers,

Pete.

Of course if the problem cannot be resolved without any further expenditure on my part, then the Fridge could be determined as unfit for purpose and I would be entitled to a full refund under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act.

Fine, but getting the money back wont chill the wine of make ice cubes for her G&T

Fine, but getting the money back wont chill the wine of make ice cubes for her G&T

Good job I didn't dump the old fridge then. It still works ok, but is a bit small.

Does your radio run from internal batteries or from 12V?

Something that may help to diagnose the problem is try connecting a 12v battery directly to the fridge via a fuse, and see if interference remains.

cheers,

Pete.

I have considered doing that, and trying an internal battery radio to see if the problem persists.

BUT, if it is, by Shoreline's own admission, a known problem, albeit rare, with a known solution on Danfoss Compressors, why are they being so difficult about rectifying the matter?

I have considered doing that, and trying an internal battery radio to see if the problem persists.

BUT, if it is, by Shoreline's own admission, a known problem, albeit rare, with a known solution on Danfoss Compressors, why are they being so difficult about rectifying the matter?

Well, do you want to solve the problem or not?

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Good job I didn't dump the old fridge then. It still works ok, but is a bit small.

Simply because with the almost total inability of the authorities to enforce consumer legislation AND the uselessness of Consumer Direct they can.

It seems it's standard UK business practise to prevaricate and try to blame the consumer so in the end the majority just give up. Basically it is the cheapest option.

Shoreline haver no duty to you, its MC who seem to have supplied a unit that is in breech of CE marking etc. so why should they bother about you? Both MC & Shoreline know the chances of a consumer either having the money or being confident to act on their own behalf is small so unless they see their lack of action damaging them in some way they really have no incentive to do anything that will cost them money.

This is why sites such as this are so important because it publicises companies lack of consumer care and in a very small way damages their reputation. However it seems may companies have no regard for their reputations, luckily few, it seems, in the inland marine industry.

Well, do you want to solve the problem or not?

cheers,

Pete.

Well of course I want the problem solved, and will do the tests, but I still believe that I should not have to modify a brand new unit in order for it to function in the environment it is designed for. Shoreline and Danfoss are aware of the problem but do not seem to be willing to rectify the matter withiout charging me more money.

Somehow it smacks of the old attitude we used to get from British Leyland garages in the past, and looke what happened to them.

I think if it were me I would not modify it myself, if you damage the fridge you will not have a leg to stand on.Ask them to come out an do the modification if not get your money back. Try and get them to email you the modification they want you to do as proof of the fridge needing something doing to it

I have a shoreline fridge freezer its very quiet and does not interfere with the radio or telly

I am sure lots of people are satisfied with their Shoreline fridge, I am satisfied with mine as a fridge, but it interferes with radio reception, and my complaint is the apparent lack of interest by Shoreline to do accept that there might be a fault with this particular fridge, or to do anything to help me.

This morning after a a lengthy discussion, they promised to email me an illustation and instructions on how to wrap the electronic control unit in aluminium foil, I am srtill waiting for the email. They are beginning to remind me of a Warehouse Manager we used to have when I was working in industry bacik in the 1960's, He would willingly spend 15 minutes explaining why he could not do a two minute job.

I am sure lots of people are satisfied with their Shoreline fridge, I am satisfied with mine as a fridge, but it interferes with radio reception, and my complaint is the apparent lack of interest by Shoreline to do accept that there might be a fault with this particular fridge, or to do anything to help me.

This morning after a a lengthy discussion, they promised to email me an illustation and instructions on how to wrap the electronic control unit in aluminium foil, I am srtill waiting for the email. They are beginning to remind me of a Warehouse Manager we used to have when I was working in industry bacik in the 1960's, He would willingly spend 15 minutes explaining why he could not do a two minute job.

:lol: :lol: I still would not modify it, if it all goes wrong they have a get of jail free card.

<snip>This morning after a a lengthy discussion, they promised to email me an illustation and instructions on how to wrap the electronic control unit in aluminium foil, I am srtill waiting for the email.<snip>

It might be worth asking them to put in that e-mail that by following their recommended instructions with the foil it in no way affects the warranty.

We've just bought a Sh**line F/F. Changed the door hanging, went OK but the plugs I removed to fit the hinge don't fit in the old holes cos they are now to small to fit the holes that had the screws in and no spares are supplied.

The radio [240v] now picks up interference whenever the fridge starts, never had that problem with the old one.

The seperate freezer compartment doesn't come with a shelf so you have to pile everything up. Have now made one by heating some Perspex into an 'n' shape.

Poor quality, considering the high price, and poor customer service received when phoning to ask about spare plugs and a shelf.

Can't see me buying a Sh**line again or recommending them.

Only reason we bought this was the depth, but I think we would have been better off resiting it and buying 240v F/F and inverter.

Must be better quality out there surely.

We've just bought a Sh**line F/F. Changed the door hanging, went OK but the plugs I removed to fit the hinge don't fit in the old holes cos they are now to small to fit the holes that had the screws in and no spares are supplied.

The radio [240v] now picks up interference whenever the fridge starts, never had that problem with the old one.

The seperate freezer compartment doesn't come with a shelf so you have to pile everything up. Have now made one by heating some Perspex into an 'n' shape.

Poor quality, considering the high price, and poor customer service received when phoning to ask about spare plugs and a shelf.

Can't see me buying a Sh**line again or recommending them.

Only reason we bought this was the depth, but I think we would have been better off resiting it and buying 240v F/F and inverter.

Must be better quality out there surely.

Mine has a shelf in the freezer but ours is five years old perhaps they gone down hill

I liberated a fridge from UBC skip with the idea of stripping gas parts to see exactly how they work. In the event I serviced the burner, ordered a new electric element, disconnected the 12v wiring and binned it and I now have an Electrolux RM 4270 in good working (2-way) order. Result!

Mike

A result.

This morning I received an email from Shoreline, informing me that they have ordered a replacement shielded electronic unit from Danfoss and are arranging for an engineer to visit our boat and fit the replacement part. Lets hope that solves the problem.

Since making my original post I have been reading a few salt water boating forums and it seems that the failure of the standard Danfoss electronic unit to supress radio interference is well known and has been for the past six or seven years. There is an enormous body of criticism within the sea boating community against Danfoss for only selling compressors with the non shielded electronic unit and then charging something like £150 for a replacement shielded substitute electrnic unit.

So it would appear that the problem is not exclusively Shoreline's, but the manufacturer if the compressor unit. Nevertheless, if I was manufacturing 12v fridges for sale to the boating world, I think I would be insisting on Danfoss supplying compressors with the shielded unit in the first place, rather than having to face the hassle of paying for and replacing the unshielded unit when it causes problems. Or is that too simple?

:lol: