A real novice question dare I mention CC

Trix

Featured Posts

6' from the bank on the river isn't it? Not owned by anyone.

On rivers, the bed of the river, up to the midpoint, is often owned by riparian landowners.

As such, they can, should they wish, charge for or restrict anchoring

On rivers, the bed of the river, up to the midpoint, is often owned by riparian landowners.

As such, they can, should they wish, charge for or restrict anchoring

But only if they 'catch you in the act'. If you 'drop anchor' after 20.00 ish, and are gone by 06.00 or such ion the morning, I doubt anybody will bother you.

But only if they 'catch you in the act'. If you 'drop anchor' after 20.00 ish, and are gone by 06.00 or such ion the morning, I doubt anybody will bother you.

Also, as they own the bed of the river surely they must ascertain that your anchor is actually in their bit of river, not just that you are floating over it? So unless they see you drop or weigh it, you can just claim to be on a particluarly long warp.

I would also suggest not mooring within at least 72 feet of a bridge, or anywhere else where a boat could have to stop because of a boat coming the other way. Bear in mind that many boats in reverse gear can be difficult to steer. Also, once stopped in such circumstances, they can be at the mercy of the wind.

Endorsed. Also avoid not only mooring on bends, but a good boat length (and that's 72') either side.

And those little layby-y things adjacent to oblique bridgeholes? I know what they're for now, they're for swinging the end of a big boat into to get through and round, so please don't moor in them no matter how neat it looks. Please note, BW, when allocating permanent mooring spaces.

When mooring non the river, slow down in the middle throw anchor over side. JOB SORTED. :lol:

Not on the Thames its not, unless you have and display an anchor light (not that I expect anyone would notice unless the wind got up over night and blew you across the river.

Our future NZ state pension is severely trimmed if we stay out of the country more then six months. We intend to buy a narrowboat and cruise for a smidgen under six months a year. Our intention is to moor up the remainder in a commercial marina. Do we need a BW licence for this period or can we just purchase six month licences for the time we are out of the marina?

Cheers Don

Our future NZ state pension is severely trimmed if we stay out of the country more then six months. We intend to buy a narrowboat and cruise for a smidgen under six months a year. Our intention is to moor up the remainder in a commercial marina. Do we need a BW licence for this period or can we just purchase six month licences for the time we are out of the marina?

Cheers Don

There are a small number of marinas where a historic right means that you don't have to pay for a licence whilst in the marina, but they are VERY rare.

In almost all marinas, it is a condition of the agreement that BW has with the operator of the marina that boats must have a current licence.

There are a small number of marinas where a historic right means that you don't have to pay for a licence whilst in the marina, but they are VERY rare.

In almost all marinas, it is a condition of the agreement that BW has with the operator of the marina that boats must have a current licence.

Might an alternative be to have the boat lifted out onto hardstanding?

Tony

Cheers Don

You could moor on the Middle Level where you don't need a licence and the moorings are a lot cheaper than on the canals or river. That way as you would not be on BW's water you would not need a license

Might an alternative be to have the boat lifted out onto hardstanding?

Tony

I know some one who does this at Debdale

I know some one who does this at Debdale

How can this be economical? We have a 65' boat with a licence cost of £740. I think it's a bit more, pro rata, for a 6 month licence, but let's say we could save up to £370, for a big boat. It cost us £168 to get it craned out for the survey, and we've just been quoted £450 for cranage and dry docking for a month (with electric hook-up and work space). The land rental component of that is probably low - he charges £25/week for an mooring next to the yard, so I'm guessing it would be comparable for space on land. Six months plus craning in and out would therefore cost summat like 3-4 times as much as we saved on the licence. Plus you're exposing your base plate to rust when it wouldn't get a sniff of oxygen if left in the water.

OK - so I'm thinking like a liveaboard. I can understand it for those without moorings who do not want to, or cannot, CC during the winter - it's marginally cheaper than licence plus winter mooring fees - but so much cheaper that the damage done below the waterline is worth it?

4 mph is a maximum. You will avarage a lot less than that. Especially when passing permanent mooring sites...

You can moor anywhere along the towpath, if you can find a spot that has either: 1. enough bank to hammer your mooring pins into; or has been sufficiently cleared of weed/vegitation/trees/silt to be accesible.

Here here, the k & A is awful, weeds, no water to get in safe to the bank.

M

Here here, the k & A is awful, weeds, no water to get in safe to the bank.

M

Yes, but the K&A is very variable. I'm now moored at a stretch where there is actually a hard concrete edge, where I'll be able to work on the outside of the boat, from the bank. But on the otherhand, there is also this

Photo0479.jpg

There is a towpath in there somewhere... alledgedly... :lol::lol:

Lock moorings can easily be identfied because there are bollards there.
And the nearby lock....

But yes, ive only just found this topic, but basically 'unless otherwise sign posted' and with a bit of of common sense you basically moor anywhere you like for upto a fortnight. And then from there you need to more on before remooring. And you can do it all again for another fortnight.

As to how far, its a case of common-sense. If go to the busiest part of the Llangollen you move 100ft, stop 14days, move 100ft, stop 14days, move 100ft, stop 14days, then turn and do it all over again, people are going to get on your case, and rightly so.

However as long as you dont take the piss and keep largely within the letter of the law then you will go far!

We move our boat for odd weekends and weekends throughout the summer and then place it in the most cost effective mooring we can for 6months till next summer. Occasionally we have to place the boat in a temporary mooring if we have to leave it for 3-4weeks but this is rair and isnt hard to arrange.

Daniel

Luctor, please elaborate, do you know of lock moorings that don't have a nearby lock? :lol: :lol:

define 'nearby'... :lol:

There are quite a few locks were, due to the local waterway or bridge/road lay-out, the actual landing is some distance from the lock. Hungerford (near the boatyard, need a large footbridge to get to the lock?) and Reading spring to mind.

And which is the one again, where you need to set the bridge and the lock, and go from one straight to the other, because you can't moor inbetween them?