Rivet counters

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Hi, yes she was advertised as having a lister sr3 engine dismantled but it appears that during her time on the little ouse parts slowly disappeared from the engine and when we bought her all that was left was the bottom end of an sr3 engine with a hydrolic gear box. We have since sourced all the parts from a donor engine and a very good friend of ours has re built the sr3 which looks and runs amazingly even after being under water for a few years! Will try to post some photos later on. We are new to this sorry, what is the Fens? I do land dwelling properties usually, this is my first boat.

• 9 months later...

I am interested in this thread because of the discussion about Coote, and also because the name Hotholer has come up a couple of times. We are just in the process of buying a part restored boat, Ivy Hotholer, she is a Hickman 65, we are not yet in possession of her.

The bows do look a lot like Coote, and the owner says she was an open hull boat, built around 1908 used for ferrying building materials etc around. I will post up a picture of her.

I am interested in this thread because of the discussion about Coote, and also because the name Hotholer has come up a couple of times. We are just in the process of buying a part restored boat, Ivy Hotholer, she is a Hickman 65, we are not yet in possession of her.

The bows do look a lot like Coote, and the owner says she was an open hull boat, built around 1908 used for ferrying building materials etc around. I will post up a picture of her.

IVY HOTHOLER and its history has been discussed on this Forum a couple of times in the past, and its hull construction is different to that of COOTE captain.gif

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2010 at 23:40, Rick-n-Jo said:

It's a BCN joey hull. Originally unpowered, cut and given a counter stern - Probably this one (from Jim Sheads site)

Rick

Coote was on the gas line laying on the BCN in around early 68 as an open ful length  boat with butty type stern but was not double ended after around the first couple of weeks it disappeared from where I was boating if it went to a different part or was taken off the job I know not  not a "joey" bow shape & guards were different

• 2 years later...

Regarding COOTE, my daughter Sorrell didn't get it quite right. As other posts have confirmed COOTE was the boat's original name, registered at Tipton in 1909. Derrick Hughes, who converted her around 1970 called her ARIES. When we first saw the boat there was a great ram's head in the saloon, but happily Derrick took that away. Elizabeth and I didn't want to change the name but we wanted to recognise the original; hence ARIES ex COOTE.  I'm glad later owners used just the original name, though the spelling remains a mystery.

It was distressing to see the state the boat was in on the Little Ouse and I'm delighted to hear she's being restored to glory.

• Greenie 1