Juggling Cars and Boats

onthecut

Featured Posts

Many times now I have wished I knew of a reasonably safe car parking spot in a strange town, to allow juggling of work, boat movement, etc. I'm sure I can't be alone in this and it occurred to me that there is the potential among forum members, or boaters in general to perhaps gradually set up a database of fellow boaters who might be able to babysit another boaters car, or suggest good parking spots in their home town. Any interest, or is it just me ??!!

Mike.

Many times now I have wished I knew of a reasonably safe car parking spot in a strange town, to allow juggling of work, boat movement, etc. I'm sure I can't be alone in this and it occurred to me that there is the potential among forum members, or boaters in general to perhaps gradually set up a database of fellow boaters who might be able to babysit another boaters car, or suggest good parking spots in their home town. Any interest, or is it just me ??!!

Mike.

Buy a motor bike? ...........

as a biker i kinda resent the last remark, bikes go walkabout quicker than sardine cans. But hey its a good idea. I know places in selby area (mostly locke farmers barns, given over to caravan storage in winter) but they are about 3 miles from canal/river here (i/2 a mile as the crow flies)

I live 15 mins walk from the secure mooring in Leicester in a residents only parking zone where every 48 hours cost us £1 for visitors. As we live near the Infirmary our friends use our temporary permits to visit the spital. Its another option.

It's good idea cos its a logistic and mental nightmare otherwise. Motorbike are good but that can mean more than one vehicle to get it all together.

I think that is a great idea. Maybe just a section on the forum to list parking spots by canal.

When we continuously cruised we developed a good relationship with an agent for a national car hire firm, that worked really well.

We find that you can usually get to wherever you have left your car and back again in half a day. Making the cost of hiring a car around £25 which is usually cheaper and much quicker than public transport.

What is wrong with public transport - it is usually very easy to moor near a bus stop or railway station?

I've been training it to the boat and home again for the past half a dozen or so weeks and haven't had any problems as long as you plan where to stop where there is a station the right sort of distance away for you to travel too.

I was going to return north via the Shroppie, but the complete lack of stations between Wolverhampton and Nantwich within a few miles of the Shroppie meant that it would be easier for me to go north via the T&M.

I think that's a great idea. We could do a little Google maps thing.

Evil Kenivel style jump? :lol:

thought about some kinda hoist, but the weight combined with the reach would make any ditchcrawler turn turtle, Ramp?, oh yeah would be in the canal, as for the jump, would probably clear the canal, and be on wrong side.

Problem is most biggish cruising bikes all come in at that weight, and BMW's come in at 800lb dry.....(oh well will have to sell and get a (spit 300cc moped)

I bought a cheap car from the auctions, a 1999 Fiesta diesel van with 100k on the clock so not attractive to the boys racers. I have used this for the last four years and left it in remote spots eg where fishermen park, and in towns. I leave the empty glove box open and nothing in the van In town or villages I choose a residential area and tell the local police (most aren't interested). As long as you park legal and are not in a position to annoy the residents it works OK for me. Also have left it at pubs with landlord's permission, usually costs a fiver or so for a week. Some marinas will also let you park especially if you are buying fuel etc. Alternatively I use the bus (bus pass holder). I find routes and timetables on 'traveline.co.uk'. This covers all of UK, enter departute point and destination, the site gives you a number of suggestions by bus and/or train. If using the train I try to book in advance via 'the trainline.com'. I don't have on board internet so I use libraries, internet cafe or plan ahead from home.

Home this helps.

thought about some kinda hoist, but the weight combined with the reach would make any ditchcrawler turn turtle, Ramp?, oh yeah would be in the canal, as for the jump, would probably clear the canal, and be on wrong side.

Problem is most biggish cruising bikes all come in at that weight, and BMW's come in at 800lb dry.....(oh well will have to sell and get a (spit 300cc moped)

hayabusa_3_wheel_2.jpg

Looks heavier than 600 lb!

When I chugged around I drove the car 20 miles ahead of the boat, cycled back to the boat then chugged until I was 20 mile ahead of the car and cycled back for it. Parking the car on a nice street with nice houses. The only trouble is I never actually used the car for anything, just kept moving it around to follow the boat, it was a waste so in the end I just took the bike instead.

Casp'

Okay but a mate has a Moto Guzzi and a Triumph that he kept on his tug deck. He rode them on, up a ramp, and, as far as I'm aware, never fell off.

You'd be surprised at how stable narrowboats are and 600lbs is pretty insignificant. It's less than 15 bags of coal.

Okay but a mate has a Moto Guzzi and a Triumph that he kept on his tug deck. He rode them on, up a ramp, and, as far as I'm aware, never fell off.

You'd be surprised at how stable narrowboats are and 600lbs is pretty insignificant. It's less than 15 bags of coal.

I passed a guy on the Shroppie yesterday with a motorbike on his cruiser stern, which he was sitting on to steer the boat!

Jim