days from Braunston to Thames

Mary 1

Featured Posts

Just trying to decide how long it may take, to arrange my help on the way, does anyone have a rough idea please, I expect to have a few ques at the locks. Any advice most welcome.

What to see etc

Mary

I would allow a week, you could do it in 3 days with no hold ups and long days.

We are planning on leaving Napton on Monday and running to Oxford and back.

Mary,

I have just noted you say in another thread......

Oh I am so sorry, I have not been back to check the replies. thank you for this offer, I will come back to you when I know when, where are you based please.

I am at Braunston, moving down the GU asap to the K & A where I have a new marina mooring

I assume you do realise that to get to the K&A from Braunston the GU represents a much longer journey with well over twice the number of locks.

Looking just to get to Kennet mouth, canalPlanAC gives

Oxford canal route

43.5 hours, 92 miles, 52 locks

Grand Union Route

75 hours 152 miles 123 locks

Obviously too, it's broad locks going the GU route, and you'll need to allow timings for the tidal Thames Brentford to Teddington.

If you want to go the long way round, then just to Brentford CanalPlanAC gives.....

54 hours, 93 miles 102 locks (which is just under 8 days on 7 hour boating days)

Hi Mary

Nothing like the word of the experienced but if you like have a look at CanalplanaC, click on plan a journey (left hand side), change the hours per day and/or the preferences to what you want and it will give all the info you need.

have a good trip.

Edit: He did it again. :lol::lol:

Edited by bottle

Hi Mary

Nothing like the word of the experienced but if you like have a look at CanalplanaC, click on plan a journey (left hand side), change the hours per day and/or the preferences to what you want and it will give all the info you need.

have a good trip.

Edit: He did it again. :lol::lol:

Be aware that the number of boats moored around most bridges on the GU that have road access will increase your journey time. I think we took at least one day longer this year than we did a few years ago.

We bought our boat at Braunston and took it down to a new marina mooring on the K&A just over 5 years ago.

The journey took 12 days in all, with three changes of crew. We did not do long days though.

Jo.

As usual, YOU have ALL been so helpful, with masses of info. Thank you so much, glad I did not get the hungerford mooring , it went for the same as the marina are charging.

I will go on to this site, suggested, Which I wonder is the most interesting way to go. I have at least three weeks available now. Then to have my knee replaced for a second time, yep same knee. Really dreading it.

m

As usual, YOU have ALL been so helpful, with masses of info. Thank you so much, glad I did not get the hungerford mooring , it went for the same as the marina are charging.

I will go on to this site, suggested, Which I wonder is the most interesting way to go. I have at least three weeks available now. Then to have my knee replaced for a second time, yep same knee. Really dreading it.

m

Which Marina are you going to Mary?

We were at Newbury (Ham Manor Basin)

They are really nice there.

Jo.

Which I wonder is the most interesting way to go.

I'd avoid the Oxford - you might find your way blocked by a pair of Narrow Boat Trust boats!

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

More seriously, a further factor is that if you use the GU, you'll be trying to push against any small flow the Thames still has in these drought conditions, whereas if you go via Oxford, any current will help speed you up.

Any flow on the Thames would be welcome. It stopped flowing on the upper reaches a few weeks back!

The deciding factor may be if they bring in any navigation restrictions.

In previous 'drought' years this means that a lock will not be turned around unless it is either full or an hour has passed (which ever is the sooner). 'Out of hours' navigation is not permitted.

I'd avoid the Oxford - you might find your way blocked by a pair of Narrow Boat Trust boats!

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

More seriously, a further factor is that if you use the GU, you'll be trying to push against any small flow the Thames still has in these drought conditions, whereas if you go via Oxford, any current will help speed you up.

Pah... they got stuck in the second lock, and turned around....

I got nearly stuck later that evening in the fifth lock (No.12, after flying through the first four in an hour), and waited for BW to sandbag the pound for me next morning. Still nearly didn't work, but standing on the roof, wiggeling from side to side, I just managed to slide the boat through the entrance. Still lost me half a days travel.

More on that story later.

Braunston to Thammes can be done in three days, single handed. If you have lockwheelers, and no hold-ups, and long days, you might just do it in two.

Ohh, and you'll have to flush yourself out of lock 44 (before Duke's Cut).

:lol: