Breasting up..???

Evo

Featured Posts

Its looking for answers. If you decided to phone the police it is only natural to want to find out why.

Would you not want to know why someone decided to report you?

At least Phylis has admitted that it is the complainant that would be receiving the hassle. That's good enough for me. I'm fed up with this now. As long as there are people like that around, that's a good enough reason for me to want to be choosy about who ties up to my boat.

Guest wanted

I wouldn't worry too much, as far as I can work out, phylis's parties consist of twenty people drinking bud (which in it's self is wrong) putting up a flag and then eating pizza, oh and after 11pm going inside and turning the music down a bit. wild

Phylis do you ever re read your post's and feel a little but silly?

It's too bad, but I really do like my peace and quiet and nobody has ever complained because I didn't make enough noice. Just to shock someone like Phylis even more I'm having a good time and enjoy myself, with or without friends without having to be pissed to do so, as I don't drink anything alcoholic. (surely terribly boring in your opinion Phylis !).

I love to listen to good music, but I will never force other people to listen to the music I like to hear and if I feel the need to listen to loud music, I put my headphones on, because I respect and can understand that other people may have other choices.

To me it looks if you can only enjoy yourself if you are drunk and able to annoy as many other people as possible, which is what you call:"Having a life", How sad !

At the moment I am a bit low on money, which doesn't stop me having a good time, but if not I would have been prepared to offer money to the one that can find a more selfish person then the one that absolutly doesn't give a toss about anyone but herself named .........? Phylis (just in case you wouldn't know).

Really sorry to have written this down but I had to, after reading all those posts. (this was the first time, and I hope I never feel the need again to do so)

Peter.

Phylis do you ever re read your post's and feel a little but silly?

If I were a betting man, based on the evidence before us, (time and time again!), I'm guessing the answer to that question is a simple "no!".

Is it just me, but this thread, despite some classic performances from some of the usual suspects, has just failed overall to live up to past standards, despite seeing things get progressively sillier and sillier.

Only 4 out of 10 from me, I'm afraid, for this one - please try harder next time.

If I were a betting man, based on the evidence before us, (time and time again!), I'm guessing the answer to that question is a simple "no!".

Is it just me, but this thread, despite some classic performances from some of the usual suspects, has just failed overall to live up to past standards, despite seeing things get progressively sillier and sillier.

Only 4 out of 10 from me, I'm afraid, for this one - please try harder next time.

bit like the world cup final then?

I'd breast up to Phylis no problem..!!! Considering paramedics waiting on the towpath for me are the only way some would entertain the idea... then Phylis is my type of boater.

She don't frighten me....!!!

Guest wanted
I'd breast up to Phylis no problem..!!! Considering paramedics waiting on the towpath for me are the only way some would entertain the idea... then Phylis is my type of boater.

Don't forget some real beer! :lol:

If that's the kind of thing you want, no problem and I wish you a nice party. But don't forget that there's a huge difference between you who likes the Phylis kind of boater (couple of hours fast boating/ rest of time drinking and having a so called good time making lots of noise) and people that are different, and don't want to upset other boaters as part of their fun.

Peter.

We never got to try out making noise after 11pm. Someone decided to hold a festival in Newark park so it didnt matter how much noise we made, the bands were making much more. Still it was a fantastic day spent listening to the music free of charge from the boats.

You are welcome anytime :lol:

• 2 months later...

Only ever breasted up once, or rather someone breasted up to us.

On the Severn, on the pontoon at the Camp House pub just below Bevere lock.

We where on a hire boat and had problems late afternoon and the hire base said to stay there over night and they would send someone next morning.

Then another boat came along and asked could they breast up to us which e said yes.

never thought twice about saying yes tbh and they turned out a nice couple as well so no probs

Phylis,

Is the etiquette for walking across rafted power boats the same as yachts?

i.e. walk round the bow of the next boat, never not across the cockpit area.

Is any one aware of such a custom for narrowboats?

Edited by Ray T

Phylis,

Is the etiquette for walking across rafted power boats the same as yachts?

i.e. walk round the bow of the next boat, never across the cockpit area.

Is any one aware of such a custom for narrowboats?

It is generally seen as the done thing to walk across the bows (and is often the easiest way to get across them) however on more than one occasion we have been welcomed to walk across the stern. With groups of friends as seen in the photos above we just go whichever way is easiest and most convenient.

Holy crap...!!! 10 years later - and after lots of encounters with some really nice folk and only one with a weirdo - I look at it completely differently.

I dont give a sh*t about "I set off early so I could get here first and get the best spot"...or.."You cant organise your life properly"...WTF is that. !!!!

Why do people think that for the sake of arriving 10mins earlier they have the right to be there and you dont. "I dont like my boat being rocked"...."I like to see out my windows"..."You didn't buy the right boat"..."I dont want a piece of plastic in my window". "I cant be arsed to walk my dogs across the back of someones boat"..unbelievable. In other words "I'm a right miserable b*stard and I wish you'd all just go away".

If I ever meet you I will buy you a bottle of good Scotch for that post.

We like to do a full days's boating, so given the choice we get up early and stop quite late (generally about 30 mins before dusk, to allow adequate time for mooring up in good light). Increasingly we find that the majority of visitor moorings near shops, pubs etc. are occupied by people whose sole mission in life is to moor up as quickly as possible after lunch in order to get the prime spot and then moan at anyone else who wants to come near.

I wouldn't dispute anyone's right to moor up when they want to, but I do object to this childish one-upmanship whereby if you don't join in the silly game of stopping at 2pm to get a mooring because, for example, you actually like boating, then everything is obviously your fault. You want to moor up early, fine. I don't. Neither approach is better than the other. To me, getting where you want to be in half a day means the other half is wasted, so that's bad planning, not good planning. And what's with all the attitude?

One example on the way back from Marple Jn - we stopped at the Toby Carvery in Stoke-on-Trent quite late on. The couple on the first boat we came alongside immediately came out and offered to take our ropes, and they were lovely. However we then found that our hire boat was about 5' longer than their boat, so the front end would be free to drift wide if tied to theirs. I went up to the bows to think about it and the guy on the boat moored in front came out, completely ignored me (not even eye contact), shuffled some stuff around on his roof and then went back in. I wanted to talk to him but his whole demeanour said "huff". Eventually I tied ours up with the ropes in a triangle using both of the other boats, at which point cheery chops came bursting back out saying "Did you ask if you could do that?". And I couldn't be bothered arguing so I just said "Can we tie onto your boat please?" whilst continuing to tie up (and without making eye contact) and he begrudgingly said "Yes". And I just thought to myself, well, you could have bloody offered, couldn't you?

I have breasted up loads of times, its common in cowes for instance, where I used to do a lot of sailing and yes, on a sailing boat you go round the front of the mast when going across boats.

When I have done it in narow boats, its usually in Upton upon Severn where I have been 3 abreast and seen yogurt pots 5-6 abreast and they tie directly to the bridge with a bow line.

The main thing when doing it is to make sure you tie directly to the bank or something solid yourself, dont rely solely on anyone elses knots.

*edit*

I did laugh at some woman at the Camp in Grimley on the severn a couple of years ago that didnt want me to breast up with their boat cos it had just been blacked, her hubby heard the convo and went red and asked me to, so i moored up the stern in front of them and only the back half of the boat on the pontoon and threw out the anchor knowing the river was low and all was fine and the couple stayed in theor boat bless em ;)

Edited by Jim Jam

I have breasted up loads of times, its common in cowes for instance, where I used to do a lot of sailing and yes, on a sailing boat you go round the front of the mast when going across boats.

When I have done it in narow boats, its usually in Upton upon Severn where I have been 3 abreast and seen yogurt pots 5-6 abreast and they tie directly to the bridge with a bow line.

The main thing when doing it is to make sure you tie directly to the bank or something solid yourself, dont rely solely on anyone elses knots.

*edit*

I did laugh at some woman at the Camp in Grimley on the severn a couple of years ago that didnt want me to breast up with their boat cos it had just been blacked, her hubby heard the convo and went red and asked me to, so i moored up the stern in front of them and only the back half of the boat on the pontoon and threw out the anchor knowing the river was low and all was fine and the couple stayed in theor boat bless em ;)

The sea going tupperware seem somewhat sturdier than the canal ones in terms of their cleats for tying up/mooring to each other. I doubt some of the canal cruisers could withstand the rafting up without losing a cleat here and there. I suspect if I had one even mooring on the canal I would have a line around the outside of the boat secured to the bank mooring points!

The sea going tupperware seem somewhat sturdier than the canal ones in terms of their cleats for tying up/mooring to each other. I doubt some of the canal cruisers could withstand the rafting up without losing a cleat here and there. I suspect if I had one even mooring on the canal I would have a line around the outside of the boat secured to the bank mooring points!

It is good practice to tie your own boat to the bank anyway where possible. It takes the strain off the inside boats ropes and cleats. We carry a couple of spare longer ropes for this reason and they came in very handy at Wells when we were three abreast against a quick and strong tide. We used a longer rope at the stern onto the pontoon and a shorter rope tied off to one of the boats in front at the bow. You can end up with a lot of ropes criss crossing around but it helps spread the loads around.

You are right though sea going boats do tend to have heftier cleats and mooring equipment which is handy when you have a lot of boats rafted up hence a lot of ropes on cleats. Although US sea going boats seem to ignore this and stick to spindley little cleats that you cant even tie your own ropes off on properly!!

It is good practice to tie your own boat to the bank anyway where possible. It takes the strain off the inside boats ropes and cleats. We carry a couple of spare longer ropes for this reason and they came in very handy at Wells when we were three abreast against a quick and strong tide. We used a longer rope at the stern onto the pontoon and a shorter rope tied off to one of the boats in front at the bow. You can end up with a lot of ropes criss crossing around but it helps spread the loads around.

You are right though sea going boats do tend to have heftier cleats and mooring equipment which is handy when you have a lot of boats rafted up hence a lot of ropes on cleats. Although US sea going boats seem to ignore this and stick to spindley little cleats that you cant even tie your own ropes off on properly!!

And charge you a fair fortune for the privilege. :wacko: