Gravel Run

LEO

Featured Posts

Hi,

The topic 'Gravel Run' in NBW makes interesting reading, will be an impressive sight on the GU.

LEO.

* Url www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/2042-gravel-run-to-atherstone

Edited by DHutch

,,,,and the "seven Star Class historic working boats" are???

They appear to include, modern motor Arundel, BCN boat Joe and the remarkably low sided Royalty, Victoria. :lol:

I'm intrigued how they plan to let you see "see the narrowboats fully loaded down to the gunwales", if as they claim there is going to be 100 tons of gravel shared between 7 boats.

I make that 14 tons per boat, so little over half a full load each.

Good old NBW!

I'll probaly turn out and watch though, none-the-less!

Star Class boats Archimedes & Ara, Callisto, and the recently deconverted Themis. Along with the Royalty motor Victoria, the new Northwich style Arundel and the BCN boat Joe.

Archimedes has been loaded with 17 ton, and there's more than 17 ton on Victoria to get her that low!

"If you want to see the narrowboats fully loaded down to the gunwales ploughing though the canal in your locality, phone Tom Hill on 0797 391 5146 for up-to-date details of the fleet's progress."

Good old NBW, at least they got that bit right. If they were loaded to the gunnels ploughing is exactly what they'd be doing round here.

I wonder why they're going so far as Atherstone? Perhaps they're returning the load to one of the many gravel pits there?

Star Class boats Archimedes & Ara, Callisto, and the recently deconverted Themis. Along with the Royalty motor Victoria, the new Northwich style Arundel and the BCN boat Joe.

I know but, apparently NBW don't.

50% right is not good enough.

The boats have had a delayed start, they will be leaving Paddington in the next hour or so.

Each boat will be carrying about 18-20 tons.

The amended provisional timetable for the next couple of days is to get to Uxbridge/Ricky tonight, Tring/Marsworth tomorrow night and Stoke Bruerne Thursday evening.

Tim

Is there a boat called Pleiades ?

Yes, but you're not putting gravel in her!

419319360_d7a3b9f1e2_b.jpg

You're probably asking about a "Star" class GU boat though. Yes there was; info from canalnarrowboats.com

PLEIADES; No 333, E.G.Woods wooden butty, built 1936, Regd Brentford 586, GU Gauging No 12576. Sold to Stanton Ironworks in Dec 1940. Became Stanton No 54. Returned to the GU company as unsatisfactory in 1941. Sold July 1947 to Stewarts & Lloyds.

Rick

Edited by Rick-n-Jo

Yes, but you're not putting gravel in her!

419319360_d7a3b9f1e2_b.jpg

You're probably asking about a "Star" class GU boat though. Yes there was; info from canalnarrowboats.com

Rick

hello all

just spoke to tom via phone

app still at present time being loaded they are aiming for the malt shovel (cowley lock) tonight. will be along the bank with my cambra as this is about the only thing happening this end of the cut since they stopped the jam hole run. so if you see a crazy looking woman on the bank with a cambra dont worry it will be me & i dont bite well not often

jeannette

At least they seem to be doing a perfect recreation of the oft told story of working boat days.

Once loaded, they will no doubt make excellent progress, but delays in loading and unloading seem to have been very much the way of things in the last days of long distance commercial narrow boat carrying.

Little changes, it seems, from the story so far!

At least they seem to be doing a perfect recreation of the oft told story of working boat days.

Once loaded, they will no doubt make excellent progress, but delays in loading and unloading seem to have been very much the way of things in the last days of long distance commercial narrow boat carrying.

Little changes, it seems, from the story so far!

hello

forgot to ask does anyone know are they entering the thames @ brentford or running up past willowtree marina & bulls bridge,

jeannette