Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 26th-27th June

Featured Posts

Sounds fair enough - very pleased to see they made it. I think they came from Sutton stop, so not bad for an afternoon arrival.

I await their blog to see if they have managed a day without getting jammed either in or on something! (Hope they are not saving that up for a cavalcade run!......)

Yes I'm not quite sure how they are managing to get stuck so much. Not sticking to the channel and cutting corners I would guess. We came down last weekend and the only place we had any trouble with getting stuck was the lock at Atherstone above Barry Hawkins place (Ex. unless he has opened up again!) - and that was only very minor.

Well, Tycho got there, but courtesy of Frank with 'Victoria' towing after she'd failed at the bottom of Buckby. Or to put it more correctly - I failed to check the high pressure pump was securely mounted on its plinth - how often do you do these things???

Derek

If Ian had been trying to see how Tycho compared with Sentinel for going through Blisworth Tunnel, the answer ought to be very frequently!

Glad you made it - should see you on Saturday.

Chris G

I'll be there for the weekend manning the NBT stand in the canal societies tent.Be nice to meet some of you.

No boats this year as their re-painting is not quite finished (already looking good though and a credit to the volunteers who have spent an incredible amount of their spare time working on them). Look out for them when they set out loaded from Alvecote en route for the Thames via Oxford in two weeks time.

Keith.

We've made a last minute decision to look in at Braunston on the Saturday - sounds like quite a spectacle in the making and the weather looks good so far. Never been before so really looking forward to it!

Well done to the "Chertseys" for getting there - I've just caught up with the last month of the blog and am sitting here somewhat gobsmacked at the work rate they put in!!

Richard

I'll be there for the weekend manning the NBT stand in the canal societies tent.Be nice to meet some of you.

No boats this year as their re-painting is not quite finished (already looking good though and a credit to the volunteers who have spent an incredible amount of their spare time working on them). Look out for them when they set out loaded from Alvecote en route for the Thames via Oxford in two weeks time.

Keith.

As a matter of interest which livery have they been painted in?

Tim

Rick and horse (Gypsy Queen) will probably be Saturday only owing to the logistics and not inconsiderable expense involved.

Her debut as a boat horse on Tuesday and Wednesday went very well indeed.

4732759796_6377d06a47.jpg

4732759802_38ecd53d8b.jpg

Rick and horse (Gypsy Queen) will probably be Saturday only owing to the logistics and not inconsiderable expense involved.

Her debut as a boat horse on Tuesday and Wednesday went very well indeed.

Great pictures.....

But I would say that, because as well as your wonderful horse, they feature the equally wonderful boat once owned by my late brother.

Maybe meet you tomorrow, then ?

how dog friendly is braunston? Boots (the dog) is concerned that I haven't checked whether he will be welcome or not...

Charlie is likely to be going.

I think the only issue could be how crowded it gets, so a dog that was spooked by getting hemmed in by crowds of people, (or even a horse!), might not enjoy it too much.

Biggest problem with Charlie is photography - he seems to choose to tug the lead at the exact moment one is pressing the "shutter" button.

Charlie is likely to be going.

I think the only issue could be how crowded it gets, so a dog that was spooked by getting hemmed in by crowds of people, (or even a horse!), might not enjoy it too much.

Biggest problem with Charlie is photography - he seems to choose to tug the lead at the exact moment one is pressing the "shutter" button.

Have you been before - is that what it is like?

I get spooked when I am hemmed in by crowds...

Have you been before - is that what it is like?

I get spooked when I am hemmed in by crowds...

It depends on what you choose to do.

Best observation point and photography point is probably the bridge over the marina entrance - that was pretty crowded last year, and it got a bit manic as they insisted we all left it whilst they brought Sue day's horse over.

Wandering around other areas and the various sales outlets is usually far less demanding, and there is a lot of space around the main boat display just into the arm.

I made the point only because the poor hounds are low down, so might tend to be surrounded by legs. I can see those boots you wear could spook a more nervous pooch - they scare me! :lol:

Charlie definitely didn't like the pyrotechnics on the "pirate boat" at Stoke Bruerne, but hopefully will have nothing worse than Morris Men, (or ladies in dubious bonnets), to get frightened by at Braunston.

Great pictures.....

But I would say that, because as well as your wonderful horse, they feature the equally wonderful boat once owned by my late brother.

Maybe meet you tomorrow, then ?

"Angel", yes indeed, she's moored right in front of the Stop House fo the weekend.

We'll be in the garden.

It was really great to see so many CWDF members at Braunston yesterday. My only dissapointment being that, with a (temporarily) 'gammy leg', there just wasn't enough time to get round to see everything and greet everybody we recognised . . .

A great event - well worth attending . . .

Had a very pleasant time at Braunston yesterday and managed to put faces to names of a few forum members. Here are a few photographs - there are more on Photobucket [Braunston2010024.jpg

Braunston2010013.jpg

General View from the ladder bridge

[Braunston2010007.jpg

Sarah makes the turn out of the marina on Chertsey.

Braunston2010017.jpg

Strange cargo!!

Edited by Richard T