Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 26th-27th June

Featured Posts

I am now considering the weekend rather than a day with my wife and son(12). Is there anything laid on for the Saturday evening? is there enough to do there to make it worth stopping the 2 days?

Any pointers appreciated

Gary

I am now considering the weekend rather than a day with my wife and son(12). Is there anything laid on for the Saturday evening? is there enough to do there to make it worth stopping the 2 days?

Any pointers appreciated

Gary

Both days are quite similar in terms of the general show and boat parades, although each day does tend to feel different. The Folk/Morris dancers tend to be different sides on each day, and some of the live music (usually folk or Jazz) performers are different on each day. During the Saturday evening the beer tent is open and there is usually live enrtertainment.

If there is a personality opening the show they are usually only there on the Saturday, and there is normally an open air Church Service on Sunday morning which is usually quite well attended.

We usually attend both days as I try to meet up with quite a few people I know from the old Working Boat days and they do not all attend on the same day.

Edited by David Schweizer

Which half.... :lol:

mmm not sure, they did mention various boats were welded together to make one :-) my old heap made it to braunston, the old lister smokes and rattles but it keeps going :-) moored up now having a few beers :-D

Edited by KeithL

mmm not sure, they did mention various boats were welded together to make one :-) my old heap made it to braunston, the old lister smokes and rattles but it keeps going :-) moored up now having a few beers :-D

Neither of the two SALTAIRE's are examples of "various boats were welded together to make one". The original stern end has a 'new' fore end started by Doug Greaves in about 1979 and completed by Dave Harris in about 1987, whilst the original fore end has a 'new' stern end built by Mike Harrison (no relation) in about 1987.

They are pretty easy to tell apart as the original stern / new fore end was rebuilt as a 50' tug whilst the original fore end / new stern end was rebuilt as a full length carrying motor boat.

We'll be there!

4717666839_216be41002.jpg

Since Sue Day's horses are indisposed, the chance has come up to try out our horse Gypsy Queen actually pulling a boat (rather than just posing, as above!)

On Tuesday before the show the plan is to pull GUCCCo "Angel" from Braunston tunnel to Watford Locks and back, then on Wed. to leg the tunnel and horseboat down the locks to the Stophouse.

On Saturday we'll be in the Stophouse garden doing harnessing demos and similar horse boating stuff.

Hope to meet some of you there

Rick & Jo

Daughter's birthday getting in the way of this year - was there last year though on hire boat Tug Merlot - not intended but was invited to change direction an accompany working boat going there. Spectacular to see all the old boats all together but boy was it busy!

It now looks as if I will be suffuiciently well recovered from my recent operation to attend the Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally at the end of June, but as the Medical people are not really happy that I engage in any potentially strenuous activity yet, we have decided to stay on the boat at our Napton mooring, and drive to the rally rather than risk taking it to Braunston.

In the past we have attended both days (by bike) and managed to meet up with lots of people that we know, but as we may only attend on one day, we wondered how many people will be going and which day they will there. Of course if you want to avoid us you could lie! :lol:

Will be there on Fulbourne all weekend.

Tim

Currently tied at Rugeley...

I passed Alcor earlier at Great Haywood who then passed me when I tied at Rugeley... Towcester is behind me, for the moment! Skylark set off from Etruria earlier this morning and I think they have also passed me, when I tied at Stone for a bit, after picking up a bladeful going down Stoke.

Looking forward to my first Braunston do.