Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

My first reaction was " How much...?"....then I remembered how much Midland Swindlers charge for theirs. That will be a solid can too, Tony's painting has always been exemplary. A tired pair of doors by Ron Hough went for just over £20...where's the justice??

Dave

My first reaction was " How much...?"....then I remembered how much Midland Swindlers charge for theirs. That will be a solid can too, Tony's painting has always been exemplary. A tired pair of doors by Ron Hough went for just over £20...where's the justice??

Dave

He's given up painting now, so prices for his work should be going up ;)

'er indoors complains that he never puts stamens on his roses rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Tim

No you're not getting mixed up. This is the one and same boat.

I've been irritated by their sign on a couple of occasions now.

Next time I see this boat I'm inclined to moor up close behind and run my engine overnight.

'er indoors complains that he never puts stamens on his roses rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Tim

The above is not strictly true. Just looked at another of his cans, a small apparenty random selection of the roses has stamens ;)

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I've got a couple of wooden trays he painted years ago, probably 50s, and there are stamens dashed in to some of the roses. The work was rather more flamboyant and detailed than in later days, I suspect it pared down over time. I don't think Ron's health is too good these days, but I've no recent information.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Tim.

I've got a couple of wooden trays he painted years ago, probably 50s, and there are stamens dashed in to some of the roses. The work was rather more flamboyant and detailed than in later days, I suspect it pared down over time. I don't think Ron's health is too good these days, but I've no recent information.

Cheers

Dave

Just to be clear, it was AJ's roses I was talking about, rather than Ron Hough's.

;)

Tim

From eBay:

Not sure if this is a water can or used for another thing.

Possibly painted by Alf Best.

Paintwork on edging is scuffed here and there. Been used for show for many years now.

Indeed, I wondered if anyone else thought the same.

No idea about the painter, looks fairly ordinary to me, but it's an oil jug.

Tim

I think a surprisingly large number of boaters or former boaters took up painting in the late sixties and onwards through at least the 70s to supply the growing demands of souvenir shops, and the like.

They had not necessarily been doing it in large amounts previously but found a useful way of making some additional earnings.

I can certainly recall Bill Whitlock having an almost production line of cabin stools set out along the loaded holds of their boats, and they were certainly not alone in this.

We used to have, for example, a couple of small souvenir items painted by the late Joe Harrison, related to Jeanette Smith Harrison of this forum.

Some of this work was competent, (and certainly a lot better than many modern protagonists!), but clearly in most cases, Ron Hough it was not.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a really old one and I'm fairly certain it's nothing special. Certainly not £200+ worth and not a "GENUINE VINTAGE "BUCKBY CAN" ". I'd given him £25 for it.

It's not a really old one and I'm fairly certain it's nothing special. Certainly not £200+ worth and not a "GENUINE VINTAGE "BUCKBY CAN" ". I'd give him £25 for it.

It's not a really old one and I'm fairly certain it's nothing special. Certainly not £200+ worth and not a "GENUINE VINTAGE "BUCKBY CAN" ". I'd give him £25 for it.

Sadly it seems now that if a can is half decent quality, even if really only good for a repaint, the minimum selling price is more like twice that amount.

(Unless I'm particularly useless at ever actually finding decent ones that don't make much money).

I agree that £200 for that can appears to be taking the pee, though!

• 3 weeks later...

An unusual can for a different look...ready for painting??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151662178887?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A veritable steal if recent prices are anything to go by :-)

I would suggest the seller is clearly Simon Wain!

An unusual can for a different look...ready for painting??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151662178887?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A veritable steal if recent prices are anything to go by :-)

Just a BR galvanised water can, plenty of them still around, not worth very much.