Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

7a80cce7-3c51-441d-955a-14df8ad4a501.jpg

Does anyone know who painted this can, Dad won it in a raffle at an IWA meeting in Birmingham in the early 60's

It looks to me like an earlyish Dennis Clarke effort, or possibly his younger brother Colin, . . both were nephews to, and taught by, Frank Nurser.

This can has just sold on Ebay - any ideas as to the maker of the can or the painter ?

attachicon.gif$_57 (4).JPG

attachicon.gif$_57 (1).JPG

attachicon.gif$_57 (2).JPG

attachicon.gif$_57.JPG

I have now seen this can, and it is very interesting.

Firstly, and most importantly it holds water without leaking - but unusually it has a capacity of 14 pints = 1.75 gallons.

The can appears to be of exceptional quality and has some interesting features such as the rolled edges all the way around the hinged lid, and the lid / flap over the spout being at a lower level then rest of the lid. The most interesting point to me is that the centre band (painted red with daisys on) is a separate 2" band of metal that has been attached and blended in, with the joint on the back of the can overlapping the seam that runs down the back of the can. I am more familiar with seeing the centre band simply rolled / pressed into the sheet metal that forms the body of the can, so being visible from both the outside and the inside. This can is all smooth on the inside as the sheet metal that the main body is formed from has not been rolled / pressed.

The paint is in good condition and looks to be applied by a professional - and is far better than many of the cans I saw at Braunston over the weekend.

This can was not particularly cheap, but I think it was worth the money captain.gif

All the indicators to me tend to show this is highly likely to be an original "Buckby" can made at Long Buckby. A blacksmiths / tinsmith's job against a factory produced rolled and pressed assembly piece. The separate centre band is a clincher to my eyes.

All the indicators to me tend to show this is highly likely to be an original "Buckby" can made at Long Buckby. A blacksmiths / tinsmith's job against a factory produced rolled and pressed assembly piece. The separate centre band is a clincher to my eyes.

I have just been doing a bit of research on the above can and I have come across this:

732-201332118924_original.jpg

This can was for sale by public auction (The Sale Room, Middle Clayton, Buckingham - Lot 732) in April 2013 and is identical in its construction to the can shown above that was recently sold via Ebay, even the painting is in exactly the same style and 'unusual' colours. The auction text reads:

"An early 20thC painted and decorated tin canal bargeware water or Buckby can with swing over handle 15" high ( handle up)"

Of course this information may not be correct, but it is interesting to me if nobody else - and as for Rolf Harris being the painter I really don't think so captain.gif

edit = guide price was £100 - £120 - but I am uncertain of its capacity (possibly only 1 gallon if dimension listed is to the top of the handle).

Edited by pete harrison

And the next can that has just gone onto Ebay - claiming to be painted by Frank Jones younger brother Rupert:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Canal-Narrowboat-Barge-Ware-Water-Carrier-Frank-Jones-Rupert-Jones/122032564151?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36800%26meid%3D420ee49c34c5454fbd10bfbe2c375099%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D252445880575

$_57.JPG

A bargain at £595.00.................. captain.gif

edit = and I was recently told that cans were hard to get hold of nowadays !

Edited by pete harrison

• 2 weeks later...

Latest little trinket that was purchased via Ebay (£53.85 and never been used) a few days ago and arrived this morning:

post-7931-0-30430400-1468354711_thumb.jpg

post-7931-0-46278300-1468355698_thumb.jpg

Interestingly it has a slightly dished bottom which I have not seen before captain.gif

edit = if nothing else my recent purchases have proved that these items are still pretty easy to come by at present, albeit second hand. Now all I need is a rusty old coal barge to put it all on.

Edited by pete harrison

Latest little trinket that was purchased via Ebay (£53.85 and never been used) a few days ago and arrived this morning:

attachicon.gifHandbowl.JPG

attachicon.gifHandbowl - bottom.JPG

Interestingly it has a slightly dished bottom which I have not seen before captain.gif

edit = if nothing else my recent purchases have proved that these items are still pretty easy to come by at present, albeit second hand. Now all I need is a rusty old coal barge to put it all on.

Now that I very much like. Looks "proper" to me, unlike so much of the overblown stuff now doing the rounds.

A good find, I'd say, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I very much like. Looks "proper" to me, unlike so much of the overblown stuff now doing the rounds.

A good find, I'd say, Pete.

I nearly took a punt on this Ebay auction item that was sold a few minutes ago, but not at the final price of £94.00 !

post-7931-0-44767500-1469554241_thumb.jpgpost-7931-0-43174200-1469554281_thumb.jpgpost-7931-0-05709400-1469554312_thumb.jpgpost-7931-0-95976000-1469554361_thumb.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

That's one of Ron Hough's, as I'm sure you know. I've lots of his work here at home....next time you are passing, come and have a look.

Dave

But was this handbowl worth the £94.00 paid just because it was painted by Mr Hough ?

I suppose the obvious answer is yes as somebody was prepared to pay that price. I hope they enjoy it captain.gif

But was this handbowl worth the £94.00 paid just because it was painted by Mr Hough ?

I suppose the obvious answer is yes as somebody was prepared to pay that price. I hope they enjoy it captain.gif

Probably yes. Artists work aleays seems to incresae in value aftyer they have passed away.

It would have cost something like £60 anyway with the cost of the bowl and the cost of decoration, so £94 is not that extortionate.

It would have cost something like £60 anyway with the cost of the bowl and the cost of decoration, so £94 is not that extortionate.

I must confess it was not the painting that prevented me bidding, it was the handbowl itself - it just does not look right in the photographs captain.gif

• 1 month later...

I picked these up from Milton Keynes on Monday - both advertised on Ebay as watering cans:

post-7931-0-92219900-1473351115_thumb.jpg

post-7931-0-22338100-1473351168_thumb.jpg

I think the two gallon can is made by Ron Turner, and although about 12 years old is still shiny galvanised inside as it has never had water in it (well it has now as I tested it and it is a goodun). In fact it still has a flyer inside telling the owner how to care for the paintwork ! All of the chips in the paintwork have now been touched up so it is as good as new, and it is the northern roses that attracted me to this one - I am not so keen on the daisy's though.

The brass can is a novelty item standing about 8 inches high and holds approximately half a gallon (tested as watertight). This Can came from the same seller as the two gallon can, who has just sold their 57' Hudson.

• 2 weeks later...