Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I'm fairly certain that they are transfers, identical, as Tony says, to the ones produced by Alan Picken of Waterfolk in the 60s and 70s. I don't know who was responsible for the original designs but I recall that they stirred controversy even then.

Cheers

Dave

They had a sort of lifeless and mass produced look about them. Nowhere as good as the ones that British Waterways had . . . . . they were based on some original stuff done by Frank Jones ( L.B.Faulkners) at Leighton.

My reference books are at home, out on the boat at the mo' but here are some more:

attachicon.giftransfer1.jpg

attachicon.giftransfer2.jpg

Gordon Bennett!....

As an aside, useless fact no 24127 - My mother in law had an artist friend called Gordon Bennett, ad has a couple of signed originals by him hung in her home.....

We visited Compton Verney - a minor stately home near Stratford - today. The main exhibition that we went to see was one on Arts and Crafts houses. However they have an extensive British Folk art collection including these two stools - there is no attribution in the catalogue. So any ideas on the painter? They are a pair and in the same style probably painted at the same time. I have my own thoughts but I'll let the experts confirm or deny them.

post-3364-0-83132200-1440346259_thumb.jpgpost-3364-0-14747800-1440346316_thumb.jpgpost-3364-0-65723600-1440346398_thumb.jpgpost-3364-0-61033800-1440346437_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the images - couldn't use flash as photography not permitted!!

The best bit of the day was the exquisite silver smithing on display by the Hart family of Chipping Camden - to see this was worth the admission fee. Stunning work and equally brilliant design drawings.

I've visited and seen the items you show. They are the work of Frank Jones of Leighton Buzzard. I have several items of his work here in my collection at home, one of the noted painters in the latter days of commercial carrying. For more information, have a look in Tony Lewery's " Flowers Afloat ", lots of the work featured.

Cheers

Dave

Not directly connected but whilst having a cruse around 't web I came across this

hundre81.289115729_std.jpg

Hundred Oaks Castle Winchester, many similarities to NB castle scenes.

These are still available from The Boat Shop at Braunston for the discerning boater:

transfer1.jpg

Haven't managed to discover the artist yet..........

Edited by Ray T

I've visited and seen the items you show. They are the work of Frank Jones of Leighton Buzzard. I have several items of his work here in my collection at home, one of the noted painters in the latter days of commercial carrying. For more information, have a look in Tony Lewery's " Flowers Afloat ", lots of the work featured.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks for a prompt reply. I think that the gallery should credit Frank Jones in their information. I feel an e-mail coming on!!

Did you also spot the two Measham teapots?

Hi Richard

I don't recall them, but it's a few years since I was there...an avid canal enthusiast since the early 60s, I have to confess that Measham ware has never floated my metaphorical boat...ive had several opportunities to acquire the stuff but have never taken them....Resolute's cabin is poorer, doubtless, though the plates and brasswork are still, hopefully, a testament to the boats I recall.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

We are not alone.

This is a small oval plate measuring 7" x 5,1/4". Purely decorative, and the patterns and image seem to have been painted or stamped over the glaze, perhaps a transfer for the scene, then varnished. The main subject we will recognise easily, and has the usual elements of old building, trees, boats, water, and distant hills - albeit small ones.

A charity shop purchase, for pennies.

th_PICT0046%20Small_zpsxlrglfub.jpg th_PICT0045%20Small_zpsrbs49uqm.jpg th_PICT0047%20Small_zpsl7dtlsg6.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

I have a couple of long case clock dials here at home, one of which has some strikingly similar brushwork to that of canal painting. The majority were painted in Birmingham, regardless of the name painted on the dial. Perhaps some boaters employed the commercial clock dial painters to add what would have been contemporary artwork to the boats, later the re painting was performed by dock yard painters whose work would have been less accomplished ( the dials are obviously the work of a very practised hand ). I'm not offering this as gospel, just one possible source for origins of the folk art.